• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone ever have this happen to a spliced tether?

mikeyford333

Purchased this tether rope from tethrd about two months ago. Today I climbed up the tree and went to put my tether around the tree andnoticed this..
IMG_3417.JPG
I just put it back in my bag and used my lineman belt for the rest of the hunt. I contacted tethrd and they said they have seen it before. That it looks like the core is coming out of the sheath and that they would send me a new one. When I got home I pulled the rope out of my saddle and it came out like this.(I taped the ends cause I didn't want it to Frey worse.)
IMG_3418.JPG
Anyway I can re splice this rope and fix it? Or think you guys think I should just toss it?

Purchased this tether rope from tethrd about two months ago. Today I climbed up the tree and went to put my tether around the tree andnoticed this..
View attachment 43244
I just put it back in my bag and used my lineman belt for the rest of the hunt. I contacted tethrd and they said they have seen it before. That it looks like the core is coming out of the sheath and that they would send me a new one. When I got home I pulled the rope out of my saddle and it came out like this.(I taped the ends cause I didn't want it to Frey worse.)
View attachment 43247
Anyway I can re splice this rope and fix it? Or think you guys think I should just toss it?
That always worried me about spliced ends. You cannot see what is in there. Knots can be inspected

View attachment 43244
View attachment 43247
Could it be spliced...probably. Should you splice it? Sure but for some non PPE use, like hang up a deer or whatever.

Last edited:
It's generally recommended that splices be lock stitched to prevent just this type of occurrence. Under normal circumstances the splice isn't likely to separate while under load as the strands constrict the around those that are buried. It's while the splice isn't under load that it is more likely to separate. I suspect that's what happened to yours. It may have come loose if you grabbed the loop pulling it out of your pouch or it possibly just worked out. Its actually surprisingly easy to pull out a splice while its not under load.

Regardless, once the bury starts to come out it can't be put back since the end isn't accessible and the splice has lost most of its integrity as the bury is not complete anymore. If it were me I'd cut off the cover and core and use the shortened rope for something else.

Last edited:
View attachment 43244
View attachment 43247
Could it be spliced...probably. Should you splice it? Sure but for some non PPE use, like hang a deer up.

View attachment 43244
View attachment 43247
Personally I would rather see a sewn eye with heavy duty clear heat shrink sheath. You can visually check that regularly. A splice, easier to check on in a hollow core rope like amsteel, but on a solid core rope for climbing??? Is a splice even a good idea?

Personally I would rather see a sewn eye with heavy duty clear heat shrink sheath. You can visually check that regularly. A splice, easier to check on in a hollow core rope like amsteel, but on a solid core rope for climbing??? Is a splice even a good idea?

I don’t know but I know it makes me think twice about using it for a tether. I’m just glad I noticed it before I put it on the tree and put all my weight on 20 foot in the air

I don’t know but I know it makes me think twice about using it for a tether. I’m just glad I noticed it before I put it on the tree and put all my weight on 20 foot in the air
You did the right thing not using it and switching to a backup option. You definitely don't want to be hanging from a poorly spliced rope. You can have a lot of "nuisance" failures while saddle hunting but if that tether fails it's almost invariably going to result in a quick trip to the ground.

The rest of the rope is fine. No need to toss it.

Take some electric tape and wrap the rope extremely tight several wraps 6-12" below the original spliced eye. Using an extremely sharp knife (razor, box cutter, etc.) slice through the middle of the electric tape. Take another piece of tape and tape over the top of the exposed end, then wrap the end again tightly to prevent it from further coming undone/fraying. If you have a torch you can attempt to melt the end as well.

I went from the spliced to just that type with sewn and shrink on it. Got one from DanO, and it has my confidence. But that still doesn't preclude checking all my equipment. Glad you didn't get hurt.

The rest of the rope is fine. No need to toss it.

Take some electric tape and wrap the rope extremely tight several wraps 6-12" below the original spliced eye. Using an extremely sharp knife (razor, box cutter, etc.) slice through the middle of the electric tape. Take another piece of tape and tape over the top of the exposed end, then wrap the end again tightly to prevent it from further coming undone/fraying. If you have a torch you can attempt to melt the end as well.
I agree with this although I would add to make sure you milk the outer sheath over the core before taping it off so that they are relatively the same length before taping and cutting. It will prevent bunching of the core during future use.

I'll stick with my sewn eyes, thank you. I've sewn them myself using marine whipping cord and a way higher stitch count than required plus a Yale whiplock over that plus heat shrink tube over top. I always inspect for any movement and over two seasons they haven't budged.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back