• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone fletch their own arrows?

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
I just started arrow building with a bitzenburger and it's really easy. I wrapped and fletched up a few arrows tonight and got about 10 shots in. First time using a four fletch configuration. I really like not worrying about a cock fletch and they seem to fly really well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200914-211819.png
    Screenshot_20200914-211819.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20200914-211809.png
    Screenshot_20200914-211809.png
    879.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20200914-211759.png
    Screenshot_20200914-211759.png
    962.9 KB · Views: 101
I just started arrow building with a bitzenburger and it's really easy. I wrapped and fletched up a few arrows tonight and got about 10 shots in. First time using a four fletch configuration. I really like not worrying about a cock fletch and they seem to fly really well.
Nice! I've been thinking about doing that myself. The Blitzbergers(?) arent as expensive as I thought they might be. Those arrows look good. What kind of wraps are those?

I’ve been fletching my own arrows for years using an Arizona EZ fletch with Blazers. My archery shop was a 40 minute drive, plus I wanted to experiment. Bought a Bitz earlier this year, big improvement over the EZ.

Fletching your own is the gateway drug to DIY archery.
Yeah. It's really the last thing to tie things up for me. Been putting it off for years. I've been tuning my own bows for a long time just always heard arrow building sucked. But it's way easier than I've heard and glad I started.

I do. Here’s this year’s crop....

700ccdc93e5aeb5eedf8d22e00199c7e.jpg

I use a Jo-Jan. Finished product....

9b264ec2eeec213c0c472a2a95519dcc.jpg

I started last year....I can't stand going to the bow shop. I use the goat tuff fletcher jig....I enjoy building my own stuff...if there's a problem no 1 to blame but me... At work it's all about the individual steps that make it into a process and building the arrows is the same so I took to it easily...

So all the glues I've used either dry up or the application tip is too big and makes for messy.... No matter how small a bead of glue it always seems to much....gt tip grip kept in the fridge hasn't died out like the blu glue... Both the tip to big... What glues have u all had the best success with...

So all the glues I've used either dry up or the application tip is too big and makes for messy.... No matter how small a bead of glue it always seems to much....gt tip grip kept in the fridge hasn't died out like the blu glue... Both the tip to big... What glues have u all had the best success with...

G5 blue glue is the toughest and best IMO. Not sure what is different from other brands but once it dries it’s on forever.

They all dry out after a while unless they are air right. Goat tuff is good too and the applicator is nice, but it also dries out. I might get 2 years out of a tube if I’m lucky. Loctite and gorilla glue do not stand up to impact and/or weather and vanes fall off clean after a while.

To clean up shafts after applying take small piece of terry or lint free cloth soaked in mineral spirits and Gently daub or wipe excess glue before it dries. If yo use cotton tag or paper towel you will be left with white film. The white part is actually lint/residue from the fabric or paper towel.

Sent from d_mobile

G5 blue glue is the toughest and best IMO. Not sure what is different from other brands but once it dries it’s on forever.

They all dry out after a while unless they are air right. Goat tuff is good too and the applicator is nice, but it also dries out. I might get 2 years out of a tube if I’m lucky. Loctite and gorilla glue do not stand up to impact and/or weather and vanes fall off clean after a while.

To clean up shafts after applying take small piece of terry or lint free cloth soaked in mineral spirits and Gently daub or wipe excess glue before it dries. If yo use cotton tag or paper towel you will be left with white film. The white part is actually lint/residue from the fabric or paper towel.

Sent from d_mobile
There has to be some kind of chemical reaction also.... The couple I just did I used the tip grip and didn't touch or wipe anything and there is a white hazy film

Nice job on those.

Been doing it for years. But using 3 fletch (considering 4 fletch next year with a 3 or 4" vane).

If you don't have one, look into an arrow squaring device that grinds your arrow ends down to a clean 90. I do my nock end, my insert end, and then square my insert after gluing. It cuts way down on those "weird arrows that don't fly right".

Yeah. It's really the last thing to tie things up for me. Been putting it off for years. I've been tuning my own bows for a long time just always heard arrow building sucked. But it's way easier than I've heard and glad I started.
That’s funny I’ve felt the same way about working on my bows. Next offseason I’m acquiring everything I need to tune a bow. I’ve put that off too long.

At the bottom where the index knob is there are three allen bolts that can be adjusted. If you want a four fletch, you just tighten down the 90 degree bolt and loosen the others. Three fletch is 120
My Bitz has 2 settings for 4 fletch...90x90 and 75x105. Some bows shoot the 75x105 better than the 90 degree setting.

Back