• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone Hanging Tonight?

huntrwilliams

b56f293a253713b1836d8db14a16bec2.jpg

Did my first set up to hunting height tonight in GA to start to officially make the move to mobile hunt with a saddle.

4 hawk minis, Tethrd Phantom and Predator platform.

Pretty satisfied with the system so far. Up the tree in one trip.

What state are you hanging in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get comfortable in the tree a few climbs then bring your bow and target and take a shot or two from the tree.
I started climbing last year and posted my experience here.

That’s a good idea, planning to ease into it and add more aspects of a hunt each time. Hopefully I will have about ten set ups before season starts then fine tune as season moves along.

I have been using climbing sticks for a couple years with a hang on, just have to get more used to platform placement and using the top stick in conjunction with my platform.

I also bought a used saddle that had some plastic clips on the back that worked great for holding my platform and sticks to get up in one trip.

After reading your post this morning I realized it was time for me to climb and shoot again. I got a saddle and DRT rope this April and have been climbing and shooting since then. It had been a little while,so i went up today. I can report that i remembered everything and even shot well. I tossed a 18 in 1 target in my field and when I got my platform hung realized that the target was blocked by a big branch coming of my tree. It also was a weak side shot. That took some contorting,I faced away from the tree and loosened my tether so I could hang out about 55 degrees. I tried hard to focus on my form and shot 4 arrows. Three were spot on,one was 3" off.
Those shots would have been impossible from a hang on stand. I love my saddle set up!
Oh,and I am hanging in NY

That’s awesome. Probably a pretty good practice drill too. You know the deer is going to stop right behind the only limb around in a real life situation.

I’m in GA also. Stupid hot, but this is my first year out of a saddle and the practice is a necessity. Absolutely love it so far!
I was hanging tonight. Practiced one sticking, rappel, and SRT. It is stupid hot. I was drenched. Fun stuff.

Hanging in PA. First year saddle hunter. Tethrd Phantom. 4 Hawk 20s. Ridge Runner platform. 30” Sterling C-IV, Black Diamond ATC. Have a Shikar stick and Amsteel aider on the way for one sticking. Did about 10 runs again today and I absolutely love the rappel down. Gonna add a few steps to easily get 360. Probably don’t need to but I’m all about overkill and then sell what I don’t use or need. I’m pretty stoked about the upcoming season and hunting out of this thing. I love it.
Matt

b56f293a253713b1836d8db14a16bec2.jpg

Did my first set up to hunting height tonight in GA to start to officially make the move to mobile hunt with a saddle.

4 hawk minis, Tethrd Phantom and Predator platform.

Pretty satisfied with the system so far. Up the tree in one trip.

What state are you hanging in?

Man I think the biggest thing I learned last year, was these Georgia pines are too dang noisy to hunt with a saddle. Every little move I made was followed by crunching of that bark lol. Split trunk white oaks are where it’s at!

Man I think the biggest thing I learned last year, was these Georgia pines are too dang noisy to hunt with a saddle. Every little move I made was followed by crunching of that bark lol. Split trunk white oaks are where it’s at!

What i do is remove some of the outer bark. Not enough to damage the tree, just a few "scales" to quiet things down.

I have a split trunk oak spot I have been looking forward to hunting ever since I got my saddle.

I need to get back out hanging this week again. It’s been so hot here, you just walk outside and start sweating. Ready for some cooler weather.

Back