• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone not using a peep?

floydfreak

My kisser came flying off a week ago and rather then replace it I started shooting without it and love it. Now I'm thinking about getting rid of the peep sight. I really hate having to focus through the peep to get to the EZV sight and then finally look at what I am aiming at.

I have my first thumb release in the mail so that should help anchor to my face. I am thinking of putting some serving as a nose button and seeing what happens.

Anyone else run a similar setup or did I just watch to many Youtube videos again?

i have one of those nosebuttons sitting on my workbench. pretty easy to put on?

I shot with a peep for the last 25 years but finally decided to eliminate it due to my low light vision not being what it used to be. Using only a kisser button has worked great for me even on long shots. My field of vision is greatly improved just looking directly at the sight instead of thru a peep.

I tried the Bowmar but it didn't work for me since my anchor point doesn't come near the tip of my nose. I'm shooting well already so didn't want to change everything this late in the game just to make the Bowmar work. It's a great concept so maybe I'll mess around with it again after the season.

Nosebuttons are very easy to install.

I use the bomar nosebutton. There’s a small and large diameter button in each pack. I use the larger one for my nose and melt the spikes of the smaller one down to use as a kisser. Probably a bit overkill but it is a quick reference and keeps me consistent. I wouldn’t recommend using the kisser for a single pin adjustable, but if you use EZV or multi-pin it works great.

I also use the sterner duttera string splitter instead of a regular peep. I tried going peepless but didn’t like looking to the side of my string. With the string splitter I can look through the string and if I have rotation it doesn’t matter.

I’ve been looking into the IQ with retina lock sights as well. Anyone have experience with them going peepless?

Last edited:
I haven’t used a peep for about 6 years, and don’t use any kisser buttons. Makes a huge difference in low light situations, with minimal loss of accuracy. I also use an HHA single pin adjustable sight which gives me a very clean sight picture.

Care to explain why you wouldn’t with a single pin slider?

Too many anchor points for a slider. As the sight moves up or down, your face adjusts slightly and the kisser may not be in the correct position. With a fixed pin sight, the housing doesn’t move. If you have an adjustable sight like one of the Option Archery sights where the housing doesn’t move, I don’t think it applies as much.

My kisser came flying off a week ago and rather then replace it I started shooting without it and love it. Now I'm thinking about getting rid of the peep sight. I really hate having to focus through the peep to get to the EZV sight and then finally look at what I am aiming at.

I have my first thumb release in the mail so that should help anchor to my face. I am thinking of putting some serving as a nose button and seeing what happens.

Anyone else run a similar setup or did I just watch to many Youtube videos again?
I took my peep out towards the end of last season and served the string as a nose button just as you're saying. Worked just fine! With that being said (I can't leave anything alone) I found a bigger diameter peep I can see through in low light and put that on instead.

Stop using a peep last year for me it’s way better for low light hunting conditions.
I have no plans of going back I feel for hunting distances my anchor is repeatable enough to not need it and I’m still plenty accurate out to 35 yds which is my comfort zone in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t used a peep for about 30 years. Blew a chance at a big ‘un because of the darn thing.

I used to use a NoPeep made by Timberline but sold the bow it was on without realizing that Timberline quit making them. Thing of beauty, it was a black dot in a fluorescent bubble that checked your alignment to include wrist torque to a degree. You were “good” if that dot was centered in the bubble and you had a consistent anchoring point. The NoPeep was just above my pins and I could see it in my peripheral vision.

I now use an IQ sight which uses the same strategy. In fact they include a leveling bubble at the bottom of the sight. The Retina Lock” in this case is the dot-in-a-bubble.

Here’s the one I use, they have several models to suit your taste. I also use a kisser button, I suppose one of the nose thingies is analogous.

I shot with a peep for the last 25 years but finally decided to eliminate it due to my low light vision not being what it used to be. Using only a kisser button has worked great for me even on long shots. My field of vision is greatly improved just looking directly at the sight instead of thru a peep.

I tried the Bowmar but it didn't work for me since my anchor point doesn't come near the tip of my nose. I'm shooting well already so didn't want to change everything this late in the game just to make the Bowmar work. It's a great concept so maybe I'll mess around with it again after the season.
I am having the same problem with my nose not being close to the string but that's because my draw length isn't set correctly. I have a longer module in the mail so that will help the string come back further and sit against my nose correctly

For hitting deer at 30 yards and in like most folks are doing, peeps and kissers aren't remotely necessary. When I bowhunt I like to be able to quickly get a sight picture in low light conditions. I shoot good hunting groups with just a single pin and...

Nosebuttons are very easy to install.

I use the bomar nosebutton. There’s a small and large diameter button in each pack. I use the larger one for my nose and melt the spikes of the smaller one down to use as a kisser. Probably a bit overkill but it is a quick reference and keeps me consistent. I wouldn’t recommend it if you use the kisser for a single pin adjustable, but if you use EZV or multi-pin it works great.

I also use the sterner duttera string splitter instead of a regular peep. I tried going peepless but didn’t like looking to the side of my string. With the string splitter I can look through the string and if I have rotation it doesn’t matter.

I’ve been looking into the IQ with retina lock sights as well. Anyone have experience with them going peepless?
Never heard of a string splitter like this I will have to take a look, thanks!

so with no peep should i be looking at my string still or should my head be placed in a way where the string isn't blocking my view?

so with no peep should i be looking at my string still or should my head be placed in a way where the string isn't blocking my view?
Just anchor like you normally would and let er fly. My groups weren't as tight but they were good enough to hunt with.

I shoot both eyes open but if I closed my left eye my right eye would be looking down the left edge of the string(right handed bow)

Back