• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone tried 8mm in ropeman 1?

muzzypower

I know ppl use 9mm. I know 10-13 is spec. Anyone try 8mm with success? I have a big climb x biner and it crams tge rope decently

9mm is doable although out of spec per ropeman instructions

With 8mm I’ve only heard of guys using ropeman 2

If 8mm did work well with the ropeman 1, I think everyone would be using it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this ever worked, it would be rope specific. It kinda sounds like a terrible idea. I assume there is a specific 8mm rope you have your eye on?

I have golberg 8mm para max. 3000lb tensile. My biner is 7/16” diameter tho and fills tge ropeman hole quite a bit

What are you looking to use this for? Is it suitable? And is it actually 3000lb tensile? And is the construction suitable for ascenders? This whole idea makes me super queasy.

If pulled hard enough the claw could close flush against the biner. Not sure why 8mm won’t work knowing that. I will probably tie it to a truck and try towing/jerking etc

If pulled hard enough the claw could close flush against the biner. Not sure why 8mm won’t work knowing that. I will probably tie it to a truck and try towing/jerking etc

I look at it as risk/reward. What do you gain if it works? Slightly more packable rope. Saving the cost of a Ropeman 2. What are you risking if it doesn't work just one time at 20'?

I understand. I would thoroughly test every scenario. Just like my trigger work

I understand. I would thoroughly test every scenario. Just like my trigger work

"Every scenario", do you even know how Ropeman 1's typically fail under dynamic loads? Hint: It strips the sheath and/or severs the rope at as low as 3.5kn--using rope meeting Ropeman1 standards. Do you think, maybe, a small 8mm rope might fail at less stress?

Please use only rope that meets manufacture's standards with any device, your well being/life may depend on it.

Make sure you post the results of that test. I know many would be interested, including me.

And me. Measure the heights you drop from and report that as well.

Still, if you have 12mm rope and want to use the ropeman 1, please use it with the 12mm.

I did 9mm in my ropeman 1 and thought it looks fine. When i was up in tree i started contemplating my decision and started feeling unsafe. Too much going on in a hunting situation to have those feelings. I ditched that idea and went with 10mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back