• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone tried the new Timberninja sticks?

I haven’t tried them myself. They looked to close to the tree for my liking. After watching this video that step flex....eeeeeeek!

I haven’t tried them myself. They looked to close to the tree for my liking. After watching this video that step flex....eeeeeeek!

That flex was crazy to see(19:44). Stick itself looked solid though. Step was like rubber.

Still, I agree the biggest hit against these is standoff distance. Stack height isn’t especially great, and pricing is high given some of the drawbacks, but fair for the materials.

Last edited:
That flex was crazy to see(19:44). Stick itself looked solid though. Step was like rubber.

Still, I agree the biggest hit against these is standoff distance. Stack height isn’t especially great, and pricing is high given some of the drawbacks, but fair for the materials.
What sticks have or are known for their large standoffs?

I bought EWO standoffs for the stick I built because of the distance from the tree they put the stick. I wear a 14 boot and need the room. If you have big feet you won’t be disappointed with their standoffs.

I bought EWO standoffs for the stick I built because of the distance from the tree they put the stick. I wear a 14 boot and need the room. If you have big feet you won’t be disappointed with their standoffs.
Same size boot here. I just sold my 17 inch Shikars and am looking for something else. The Timberninja looked interesting. But the EWO sound like the best option for myself. 4x 20 inch sticks should do the trick.

So... Why are those things flexing like that? That was like dang near an inch of diflection it looked like on the top step

I have the sticks and I really like them. Light weight, stack great and do not create extra length when packing them, they're really quiet, and they don't get near as cold. I have the retractable aider on my bottom stick only and that is pretty nice and well worth the upgrade cost. I am 6'2 (size 13 boot) and weigh 230-250 and when you use the stick in a normal fashion it doesn't flex near like that. It does flex a bit though which to me actually provides comfort. It is the difference of walking on a wood subfloor as compared to concrete and is the trade off of being composite as compared to metal. The standoff distance isn't a big deal to me either as it matches my LW and Hawk Helium sticks that I have used (still use the LW) in the past. I have never used EWO sticks so I cannot compare it to having that much space. I generally set a stick and head right up and do not really hang around on any of my sticks to mind the standoff distance that I always see brought up on here as a big factor of a good stick. Maybe the standoff distance of the sticks I have had or have doesn't bother me because I have spent some time working on ladders, and/or scaffolding for twenty years so I am conditioned to having the ball of my foot or less on things. I also do not wear big clunky boots which could be another reason I am not bothered by 3.5"s for a standoff.

Oh one other thing I like. The step being flat and at the very top of the stick makes it great for using one foot on when hanging a platform or stand. It is the first stick I have had that I can do that with.

Last edited:
i have a set also it took 3 months to get them. i texted them about that flex also i was told my steps would take a little longer to get because they changed the materal the steps were made from so they dont flex it sure seems to have worked. I now have a pack saddle system that weighs a total of 7 pounds at 65 that is nice not having to carry a 20 pound stand along with everything else. As a side note the sticks are thin walled aluminum wrapped in carbon fiber and they are very lite about 4 lbs.

I have the sticks and I really like them. Light weight, stack great and do not create extra length when packing them, they're really quiet, and they don't get near as cold. I have the retractable aider on my bottom stick only and that is pretty nice and well worth the upgrade cost. I am 6'2 (size 13 boot) and weigh 230-250 and when you use the stick in a normal fashion it doesn't flex near like that. It does flex a bit though which to me actually provides comfort. It is the difference of walking on a wood subfloor as compared to concrete and is the trade off of being composite as compared to metal. The standoff distance isn't a big deal to me either as it matches my LW and Hawk Helium sticks that I have used (still use the LW) in the past. I have never used EWO sticks so I cannot compare it to having that much space. I generally set a stick and head right up and do not really hang around on any of my sticks to mind the standoff distance that I always see brought up on here as a big factor of a good stick. Maybe the standoff distance of the sticks I have had or have doesn't bother me because I have spent some time working on ladders, and/or scaffolding for twenty years so I am conditioned to having the ball of my foot or less on things. I also do not wear big clunky boots which could be another reason I am not bothered by 3.5"s for a standoff.

Oh one other thing I like. The step being flat and at the very top of the stick makes it great for using one foot on when hanging a platform or stand. It is the first stick I have had that I can do that with.

Lone Wolf sticks are 4” to the outer edge of the step. From what I’ve seen TN C1 are about 3.5”. I don’t have them to compare. TN steps do have more surface area though, but 3.5” is on the shorter side of standoff.

I saw other reviews that give a similar impression of the flex of the step to what you’re saying.068939FD-8782-40B3-80B9-5710EC02A324.png

I had a set of the originals. I sent them back because of the small stand off and flex. I’m 5’8” 160# and felt like I was going to fall off those. I did like them over all and will revisit if they fix the stand offs.

Lone Wolf sticks are 4” to the outer edge of the step. From what I’ve seen TN C1 are about 3.5”. I don’t have them to compare. TN steps do have more surface area though, but 3.5” is on the shorter side of standoff.

I saw other reviews that give a similar impression of the flex of the step to what you’re saying.View attachment 44540

Holding that tape measure on an angle to the outside to cheat that measurement too... lol. Measure from the post to tree.

I had a set of the originals. I sent them back because of the small stand off and flex. I’m 5’8” 160# and felt like I was going to fall off those. I did like them over all and will revisit if they fix the stand offs.

The video I posted above is the new and improved thicker step and they flex like that. I can only imagine how the original one flexed.

It does flex a bit though which to me actually provides comfort. It is the difference of walking on a wood subfloor as compared to concrete and is the trade off of being composite as compared to metal.
That is a strange analogy...are u saying they are designed to flex on purpose?

That is a strange analogy...are u saying they are designed to flex on purpose?

Maybe some flex reduces stress on the carbon fiber? I don’t know.

I don’t recall the steps on the Stacked Outdoors sticks showing similar flex, so I don’t think it’s specifically a composite issue. Maybe they flex though, I haven’t tried them personally.

Last edited:
Back