• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone truly tested ropeman 1 on oplux

Outdoorsman33

Wanting to change tethers to cut bulk and I know a lot of guys are still using ropeman 1s on their oplux and using it to rappel even though it’s out of spec. I was wondering if anyone has truly taken to the time to test the limits of the oplux with a ropeman 1 to the point of failure or before it slips. Has anyone had any issues with a ropeman 1 slipping or any rappelling gear such as the safeguard while using oplux?

I use it to rappel w/ a safeguard and have no issues with it. I wasn’t man enough to try my ropeman with it and by looking at it you can see it’s way to small. I’ve fallen 30+ feet fast roping out of a Blackhawk and lived to tell the tale so falling again isn’t on my bucket list. I switched to Kong Duck and then when to a Distel hitch and tender. It’s damn near the same as using a mechanical ascender in my opinion and a lot lighter.

Last edited:
Why? Why in the world would you risk to go that far out of spec? From what I have been reading, no one is using a Ropeman 1 on Oplux, all recommend the Kong Duck. No one is using a Ropeman 1 for repelling as far as I know.

In my opinion, testing the limit is not always necessary. Some things are just what they are. ....like a traffic circle; just because there is no car in the circle, I would not test to see if I can go through it against the intended direction. (Edited) But I guess you get my point. You do as you do, I just don't understand why taking such a risk...

Last edited:
I just went through this, it will hold, kinda, but if you bump it, or accidentally touch the wire it will send you. I wouldnt do this.
a5f7c04d9c32463b425a6c8e84bab001.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I use a metolius element carabiner from REI. It is a lot thicker in diameter and have tested it out on 8mm rope (Same diameter as Oplux) and haven’t had it fail yet.

The Kong Duck is fine and 8mm is in its spec. Ascendors such as the RM1 and KD can be part of some rapel techniques, most notably the Texas style system. I’m not sure that is what you had in mind, though.

I’m not using a ropeman1 to rappel it’s just for my tethers. I know it’s out of spec for the safeguard and people still use it but with that being said im sure people still skimp by and use a ropeman 1 on oplux. I was mainly wondering at what point/lbs does it take to make it fail with the ropeman 1. I don’t want to risk being out of spec I was just curious if their were any links or videos of testing like this being done with it to further educate myself on what happens.

Has anyone ever tried the ropeman 2 on oplux seem to have pretty aggressive teeth or is the CT or kong the better choice for Excessive use on the rope?

Back