• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone use 70-80lb limbs?

PaulK

I am a Vermont whitetail hunter, typically looking at 15-30 yard shots in heavy wooded forest. I shoot a Prime Ion with 60-70lb limbs, maxed out. I am a fit 39 year-old hockey player, distance runner and mechanic. I shoot a couple times per week and have worked my way up to that draw weight. The 70lb setting now feels almost... I won’t say effortless, but I hardly notice it. The few chances I had to come to full draw during a long sit this season (before tagging out by bagging a nice 10-pointer ) felt the same- required effort, but not prohibitive.

So, I’m considering ponying up for a set of 70-80lb limbs. Cost is probably $200, or maybe $100 if I can find a used set. I’d love to have extra energy to spend on heavier arrows while keeping the forgiveness of a flat trajectory, all things being equal.

Anyone else go this route? On one hand it sounds a little ridiculous. I’m not taking 70-yard shots at elk. On the other hand, let’s get these 550 grain suckers movin’, shall we?

let me know your thoughts. Thanks, everybody.

I went that route. Hoyt Hyperforce with 82ish pounds and 28.5 inch draw. It has its pluses and minuses. Pluses- my 550 grain arrows are going 285 fps, don’t have to worry about under penetration or fear of the shoulder, don’t have to switch arrows for larger game
Minuses- arrow selection becomes a real issue- you have to find a spine that is stiff enough (but stiffer spines are getting more common), quicker wear on strings, bag targets become “pass through” targets and your fletchings can get messed up- but hey, all the more reason to get a new target!!

I really love my “Elephant Bow” as my buddy at the bow shop calls it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are strong enough to do it,why not? I pulled a buddies 75# VXR back last month and it wasn't terrible,but i will stick with my 60# bow. I am in decent shape but dont want to risk my shoulder. If you think you can pull that weight after sitting in the cold for hours with no problem go for it.

I think it is totally unnecessary but I have a friend who is a big guy and always shot 80lbs and he was the envy on the 3d range. Now he can't pull that bow back anymore and he has to get a new bow at much lighter poundage for a variety of reasons. He's effectively out of bowhunting because of it. I can and have shot 70-75lbs DW but I choose to hunt at 60lbs. I only have a 27" DL so I do like to keep the weight up there some but when you're setting on the stand for 3 or 4 hours or more, that heavy draw weight becomes an impediment in my mind in November and December especially. If it is a not a problem for you or your shoulders, go for it, but remember, what you do now to your shoulders will not always pay dividends as you age into the future.

It isn't necessary. I take a reverse pride in getting it down consistently on whitetails pulling a measly 60 lbs, but a 30" DL helps.

Here's 2 downsides to shooting heavier: 1. it can affect accuracy and 2. no matter how strong you are, you are at the point in life (about to turn 40) where the flexibility of your connective tissue and rate of healing will start to decrease. So, you will have to start considering cumulative wear and tear more seriously with regards to things you do repetitively. At 44 and relatively fit, my muscles are stronger than my joints (cartilage, ligaments, and tendons).

If you do go heavier, then I would practice with a lighter poundage bow and only pull out the 80 lbs'er for the season.

I have 75 lb limbs. They shoot my 605 grain arrows real hard. But I drew on a buck this morning and the pop and cracks coming from my shoulder did not sound good. I do like the penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until few cap buffalos have been seen in Vermont I don't see any reason to go above 70# (except testosterone effect maybe. ..)
No problem to have clean pass through even with 55# bow by working on the arrow (0.166 shaft, steel 100 grains instert and solid 2 blades razorshap broadhead)

Last edited:
There are people with 24" DL's and 43 lb bows shooting COC broadheads through cape buffalo. Its not the speed its the momentum. Of course speed is a function of momentum but a lot of speed without a lot of weight means a lot of energy wasted and hyperinflated potential energy released through the bow instead of into a heavy arrow which is hard on your equipment, fasteners, etc. I would think of your interest in bowhunting long term and hey, a 70lb bow is no slouch!!!

My limbs are 70-80, have them set for about 73. If I couldn’t draw it easily on a cold PA day with layers of clothes on I would lower it or go with a lower range bow. I’ve always been in the “pull as much as you can comfortably draw under hunting conditions” camp.

What would be the reason to change u limbs?

That would shoot the arrow faster?
Yep, with all other variables staying the same, DL, arrow weight, cam design, release type, string weight etc., the increased potential or stored energy derived from stiffer limbs should equate to a faster arrow speed.

70 lbs is already flingin em plenty fast. I shot a 48 lb bow last yr and with coc fixed blades had pass throughs on every deer. At that weight expandable broadheads are not an option. Learned that the hard way... i think youd be surprised on the trajectory difference in heavy arrows. Its not all that much. Im shooting 660 out of 62 lbs this year. I can notice a difference between a 420gr but nothing too crazy

IF you do end up going down the adult bow path, do yourself a favor and look into the Firenock 6" Carbon Inner Tubes. This will vastly increase your number of available arrows that are stiff enough to handle the poundage. They allow you to take a 29" arrow and consider 24.5" of it when selecting for spine. I shoot 80 lbs with a 31" draw length.
Downfalls -
1. You better invest in a good quality target
2. risk of injury if your drawing form is wrong.
Pros -
1. Shoot big mechanicals with no fear of poor penetration
2. Don't have to shoot at granny speeds with a 500 grain arrow.
3. Bunch of old farts on the internet will tell you its not required and 50 lbs is all you need.

IF you do end up going down the adult bow path, do yourself a favor and look into the Firenock 6" Carbon Inner Tubes. This will vastly increase your number of available arrows that are stiff enough to handle the poundage. They allow you to take a 29" arrow and consider 24.5" of it when selecting for spine. I shoot 80 lbs with a 31" draw length.
Downfalls -
1. You better invest in a good quality target
2. risk of injury if your drawing form is wrong.
Pros -
1. Shoot big mechanicals with no fear of poor penetration
2. Don't have to shoot at granny speeds with a 500 grain arrow.
3. Bunch of old farts on the internet will tell you its not required and 50 lbs is all you need.

i actually had 200’s and 250’s lined up to shoot out of new bow. Tuned it up, and it liked 300 spine with 225 up front just fine at 76/30.5 with a 29” overall length 520grain. Was surprised. It was a little more finicky at 575, shot the 250’s better there or if I went up to 80lbs. But I was surprised. Don’t sell your current setups until you shoot them. Long draw and 80lb limbs are on the fringes of what their charts might be useful for.

i actually had 200’s and 250’s lined up to shoot out of new bow. Tuned it up, and it liked 300 spine with 225 up front just fine at 76/30.5 with a 29” overall length 520grain. Was surprised. It was a little more finicky at 575, shot the 250’s better there or if I went up to 80lbs. But I was surprised. Don’t sell your current setups until you shoot them. Long draw and 80lb limbs are on the fringes of what their charts might be useful for.
I tried shooting 280 spine injexions and my groups opened up compared to 250 spine deep impacts. Not sure what bow you're shooting but none of my 80 lb bows behaved well with broadheads on 300 spine arrows. I did have some Axis 260s with 175 up front a few years ago that shot well, but It should have because it was the only time I've been at 280 fps, couldn't handle the slower speeds for my preferences though.

Silly question maybe a little unrelated.....if u have 2 identical model bow and verify with a scale they both set the same draw weight and they are both tuned are they both going to shoot the same speed? I have no idea but I bet a couple dollars they are gonna be different

Back