• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone using a turkey vest for their gear

I don't use a "turkey" vest but I have hunted with a vest for a couple seasons now. IMO much better than carrying a backpack or fanny pack. Military surplus has lots of options of vest that have molle system over the entire vest so u are able to attach pouches or whatever u want wherever u want. Easy to add pistol or battle belt to handle heavier items...u can attach ur saddle to it if u like.... Lots of options...

I've used my turkey vest as my primary pack for years. I started while I was hunting out of my Summit. Having the majority of the gear on the front side of me actually made packing the climber easier. I also like having separate accessible pockets for stuff as it saves me from having to dig around in the main pocket of a pack.

Where it really excels for me though is using it with the saddle setup. The big pouch on the back is perfect for packing in my outer layers and platform. I can put my one stick in it too, sitting vertically between my shoulders. That way all the metal stuff is inside fabric and won't clang off any brush Once in the tree it hangs right in front of my draped around the tree so it doesn't present much a profile on the tree. I primarily sit knees to the tree in the saddle and the vest doubles as a knee pad. A benefit of wrapping it around the tree is all the pockets are accessible just as if I was wearing it.

I’m running the Alps Little Bear Fanny with the turkey front pockets/nylon turkey game bag kit. Same concept and I think it’s going to be wonderful. Little Bear only weighs 1lb 9 oz, little more with the pockets and game bag, but easy under 3lbs and it has the shoulder suspension and hip belt. I think it’s a combo that will be hard to beat.

I use one of my old turkey vest sometimes and it works really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody know if the Alps game bag kit is big enough to haul deer quarters? It looks like it is designed to stuff a turkey in, but if it could be used to pack out a reasonable amount of meat, I think this would be the ideal pack for me.

I used the Horn Hunter Slingshot this last season (I think they are now discontinued, got one on Ebay), and it was fine, but I did not like the single strap for longer walks. Looking at the turkey vest because I climb with bolts a lot of the time and I want to find a way to easily carry them in front of me.

Anybody know if the Alps game bag kit is big enough to haul deer quarters? It looks like it is designed to stuff a turkey in, but if it could be used to pack out a reasonable amount of meat, I think this would be the ideal pack for me.

I used the Horn Hunter Slingshot this last season (I think they are now discontinued, got one on Ebay), and it was fine, but I did not like the single strap for longer walks. Looking at the turkey vest because I climb with bolts a lot of the time and I want to find a way to easily carry them in front of me.
I’m thinking that it would be too much weight for the attachment points. Game bag is great for clothes and other light to medium weight items.…but I’m not too sure about stuffing 50lbs of meat in it.

Those alps packs are trash. I got the big bear pack to try once and I hung my sticks and platform on it and the strap snapped when I put it on

Was just testing out my Alps Super Elite vest for that. I like having my tether, range finder, grunt call, and gear retriever on my front. Unfortunately none of the pockets were big enough for the tether. Awesome vest for turkey hunting though! Generally, I find the Alps stuff to be thoughtfully designed and a good bargain.

6DF42C08-C30C-4ACB-B014-33A925589BA1.pngThis is the backpack that I use and hands down one of the best that does not cost a lot. My platform goes on the bottom two straps of the pack and sticks go on the front of the pack. Plenty of storage and great pack.

Picked this one up recently on SH Classifieds and made some mods
b75f6e75519a2f0bdb526ba3f30fbcde.jpg
7568fd4a299c0a0572d7a017ac19e791.jpg
a3be1614e89a8b9d561e826fe85181d3.jpg
513ac352cceae578ff61f092ce529411.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Seems like a great idea if you can access everything without having to take vest off or struggle to un buckle/clip anything over your shoulder. @Boynebowhunter has a slick vest system where he can unpack what he needs as he climbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back