• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone using the Sitka Tool Belt ?

BigCityBowhunter

I’m considering abandoning my current pack setup for something stealthier. I have a kifaru hooligan and is does a fantastic job carrying at fanatic jacket and Celsius midi inside the pack while I have my shikar sticks and platform strapped to the outside. Even though it works well, I don’t like how bulky it is up in the tree and how loud it can be in colder weather with all the foliage down.

I’m thinking that the Sitka tool belt may be a good fit. Does anyone have experience with that pack? Will the mesh pouch expand to hold a fanatic jacket and Celsius jacket? Is the mesh holding up to the underbrush? Are the shoulder straps bulky enough to strap 4 climbing sticks to?

Any and all information is welcome. Just trying to seek some real world experience before I make the investment. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the tool bucket and like it a lot..

I pack 4 sticks along the bottom horizontally and predator XL along the top with a stratus jacket over it..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’m considering abandoning my current pack setup for something stealthier. I have a kifaru hooligan and is does a fantastic job carrying at fanatic jacket and Celsius midi inside the pack while I have my shikar sticks and platform strapped to the outside. Even though it works well, I don’t like how bulky it is up in the tree and how loud it can be in colder weather with all the foliage down.

I’m thinking that the Sitka tool belt may be a good fit. Does anyone have experience with that pack? Will the mesh pouch expand to hold a fanatic jacket and Celsius jacket? Is the mesh holding up to the underbrush? Are the shoulder straps bulky enough to strap 4 climbing sticks to?

Any and all information is welcome. Just trying to seek some real world experience before I make the investment. Thanks!

Same thought process here. I run a kuiu pack and it’s great fo all the reasons you said and I’m looking to change also. There’s not much out on the tool belt but I’m looking at it more than anything. My biggest question is on the shoulder straps. I’m not looking for them to be stout enough to pack meat or anything but am curious if they are durable enough to carry the weight of a few mini sticks and a small platform. Hopefully someone will chime in

Same thought process here. I run a kuiu pack and it’s great fo all the reasons you said and I’m looking to change also. There’s not much out on the tool belt but I’m looking at it more than anything. My biggest question is on the shoulder straps. I’m not looking for them to be stout enough to pack meat or anything but am curious if they are durable enough to carry the weight of a few mini sticks and a small platform. Hopefully someone will chime in

Exactly, those shoulder straps have me nervous. LoL. There was another recent thread on here called “less is more” that talked about a Fanny pack for saddle hunting. There was some good info but it now has me thinking the cargo box may be a better option for me. We’ll see if any experienced options surface that could influence the decision.

Exactly, those shoulder straps have me nervous. LoL. There was another recent thread on here called “less is more” that talked about a Fanny pack for saddle hunting. There was some good info but it now has me thinking the cargo box may be a better option for me. We’ll see if any experienced options surface that could influence the decision.

I’m close to pulling the trigger and just finding out
For myself but was hoping to get some feed back first. The pack itself seems about perfect, just want some information on the straps. Clearly aren’t very big, based on how small you can pack them down. I feel like you could pretty easily upgrade them if you wanted too.

Have one...mesh is going to rip and get holes with any type of moderate use for whitetail hunting. The stuff sack will hold a jacket/pants/mid layers surprisingly well. The shoulder straps will not hold up for sticks and platform use, there are no load lifters so it will sag down and feel heavier than it should. The design has promise but they need to reinforce certain areas. I like the fanny pack. It's just enough room overall but has an overabundance of compartments inside to be of any use. The straps on the bottom of the pack need to be longer imo as well.

If I had my input I would make the waist belt pockets slightly larger, add some pals webbing, remove some of the compartments inside the fanny pack, add longer gear straps to the bottom of the pack (also change the connection to the opposite side, away from your body), add load lifters to the shoulder straps, maybe add a removable panel to give the back of the stuff sack some rigidity if needed.

As of right now I am sending mine back under warranty to get repaired. The stitching did not hold up where the stuff sack and shoulder straps join. I plan on getting rid of it once repaired and I've moved on to a Eberlestock M1 that can handle a platform, 1 stick, and my clothes that I pack. Even though the M1 is heavier the load feels 1000% better while hiking and the profile in the tree is pretty slim while hanging from my gear strap. Plus the option to add pockets where I want makes it fully custom to what I need.

Have one...mesh is going to rip and get holes with any type of moderate use for whitetail hunting. The stuff sack will hold a jacket/pants/mid layers surprisingly well. The shoulder straps will not hold up for sticks and platform use, there are no load lifters so it will sag down and feel heavier than it should. The design has promise but they need to reinforce certain areas. I like the fanny pack. It's just enough room overall but has an overabundance of compartments inside to be of any use. The straps on the bottom of the pack need to be longer imo as well.

If I had my input I would make the waist belt pockets slightly larger, add some pals webbing, remove some of the compartments inside the fanny pack, add longer gear straps to the bottom of the pack (also change the connection to the opposite side, away from your body), add load lifters to the shoulder straps, maybe add a removable panel to give the back of the stuff sack some rigidity if needed.

As of right now I am sending mine back under warranty to get repaired. The stitching did not hold up where the stuff sack and shoulder straps join. I plan on getting rid of it once repaired and I've moved on to a Eberlestock M1 that can handle a platform, 1 stick, and my clothes that I pack. Even though the M1 is heavier the load feels 1000% better while hiking and the profile in the tree is pretty slim while hanging from my gear strap. Plus the option to add pockets where I want makes it fully custom to what I need.

Well damn....

I run a Badlands Monster which looks comparable to this but more durable by the looks of the above review. Either way Badlands has a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I used it once on a broken buckle on a 10 yo pack and they were awesome.

With the Monster i can carry everything i need including my Mission Platform, bolts/steps, in addition to extra layers through about Early Nov in WI. With the shoulder straps you hardly feel any weight on your hips.

When it gets colder and i need to pack in bibs and such i move on to my Superday or my Exo pack based on what i’m carrying in and how long im hunting.

Thanks for the full run down - very insightful!!!

I've been using the tool belt and have not had any problems withe the sack. I put my clothes in a stuff sack which helps a lot. Shoulder straps hold up if you light sticks and platform.

I love the Tool Belt.

I’ve used the sack for 2 seasons without issue to carry 8 WEI steps or predator platform as needed. I’ve always just wrapped them in a clothing layer and it’s been great.

It’s taken me time to get dialed in but I really like the setup now. It’s not a Molle system so it’s not going to customize like Molle will but if you keep looking at different ways to use it then I’ve found it to be way more functional than advertised.

I think it’s also a case where lack of marketing on all the different ways to use it and relying on people to take time to figure stuff out just won’t work - like the bivvy sack can be flipped over and secured to the front and can hold layers/gear w/o engaging the shoulder straps - there’s no video to watch that explains it, I just happen to notice how it folded down and now it’s a feature I use every single hunt.

Same with tucking my one stick behind the removable dump pouch so it stays tight and doesn’t sag - great features that I think would get a lot of people on board but they just didn’t do enough explanation videos…

I started using it half way through this season. It’s good, but not perfect. The side ‘water bottle pockets’ don’t cinch all the way down so stuff could fall out. I removed one of them and replaced with a Water bottle pocket from an old Red Head pack. I will continue to use this pack because the laundry chute is really nice for storing layers.

I’ve used the Tool Belt for 2 years now and really like the pocket layout and quiet zippers. This year I’ve ditched the shoulder straps and add the shoulder straps from Marsupial Gear then attached a Predator Pack XL to it. Now it seems like the perfect saddle pack. I keep everything secured to pack and utilize the dump pouches and have nothing attached to my saddle.

9033b6901f11af086ac7b481d9aaeaec.jpg

I swapped my original straps and laundry bag out for this hybrid set up. It’s awesome

I’ve used the Tool Belt for 2 years now and really like the pocket layout and quiet zippers. This year I’ve ditched the shoulder straps and add the shoulder straps from Marsupial Gear then attached a Predator Pack XL to it. Now it seems like the perfect saddle pack. I keep everything secured to pack and utilize the dump pouches and have nothing attached to my saddle.

Can you elaborate on how those straps attach? I've been trying to find pics of ways to attach different shoulder straps but, can't seem to find what the connection point looks like.

love mine. The mesh is was more durable than I thought it would be. There’s a mesh divider in the main compartment that I store the sharp ends of my Wild edge stepps against. I thought for sure they’d rip it to shreds but after about 35ish sits this year there are still no holes. The laundry bag holds a ton of clothes but not designed for heavier stuff like sticks, I probably wouldn’t try that. Everything about it is super durable and the pockets are laid out well for what I carry and how I hunt. I do think if you like to carry a lot of unnecessary stuff with you it would be too small. The only thing I don’t like is the dump pouches that don’t cinch all the way closed.

How did you attach the straps? Were you able to still use the cinch straps on the predator pack to carry clothes?

I attached front straps to loop on the belt that has buckle attached to the pack. I believe the buckles are for adjusting belt for smaller waist. The Predator pack is attached at top with gate keeps Marsupial gave me and attached at top of shoulder straps(having pack higher up on back makes it easier to grab platform while wearing). The back straps of the harness are weaver through Predator pack to prevent flopping around. My sticks lay on top of Tool Belt and secured to base of Predator Pack. The straps on the bottom of the Tool Belt hold my rolled up jacket. You could also use some compression straps on outside of Predator Pack if carrying bibs or whatever. Hanging the pack in the tree from the top of shoulder straps you can flip open Tool Belt lid and clip on to Predator pack with a small carabiner. This gives me access to everything inside Tool Belt and the Predator Pack becomes a dump pouch for clothing layers. I will try and get pictures up soon. So far I’ve really enjoyed it and like the versatility of the shoulder straps for running this setup or attaching to hydration bladder.

Back