• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

anywhere to buy dynamic climbing rope by the foot?

raisins

SH Member
Everywhere that says "by the foot" means "but you gotta buy like 100 feet minimum". I'm looking to try some dynamic rope per recent discussion of shock loads. Thanks if you have any sources. - R

Everywhere that says "by the foot" means "but you gotta buy like 100 feet minimum". I'm looking to try some dynamic rope per recent discussion of shock loads. Thanks if you have any sources. - R
Look into fall factors. 4 feet of dynamic rope between you and a very static tree is not going to be very different from 4 feet of static rope. Unless you are using a long rope over a crotch and a basal anchor I doubt the dynamic rope will make a lick of difference in how you feel after a fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Look into fall factors. 4 feet of dynamic rope between you and a very static tree is not going to be very different from 4 feet of static rope. Unless you are using a long rope over a crotch and a basal anchor I doubt the dynamic rope will make a lick of difference in how you feel after a fall.

Yeah, I was thinking similarly. A lot of dynamic rope stretches 33%. So that's like 16 inches of stretch for a 4 foot rope, right? It might be better to use a shock absorber, but is that appropriate on a tether when you are leaning back against it? I'm afraid I'll open it up!

EDIT: you'd have to take into account length of rope around the tree also, I just thought of that

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking similarly. A lot of dynamic rope stretches 33%. So that's like 16 inches of stretch for a 4 foot rope, right?
At x% of breaking strength, sure. Rock climbers and such go to great lengths to avoid high fall factors, that is, falls where the ratio of vertical distance fallen to lenght of total rope under load is greater than 1 to 4 and they are using dynamic ropes.

Im not an expert by any means, but the fact that professional arborists rope tend to be static makes me question the efficacy of dynamic ropes in our types of applications. Also, a dynamic rope ypu have been hanging on for hours during a hunt will have elongated somewhat, reducing its ability to elongate further under moderate forces.

Fall factors matter very little when talking static rope. Arborists know not to introduce slack in their system. I don't see anything wrong with using static for saddlehunting if you're not introducing any significant amount of slack. If there would be a possibility of you falling 4 feet on your rope I would highly suggest dynamic rope as there would be a big difference. There are already some long discussions on this so I didn't even want to comment but I don't want somebody to underestimate a fall on static rope.

Sorry, don't know where you can purchase dynamic by the foot.

Think about mono fishing line. When you hook a large fish a good ways from the boat the lines long enough such that the elongation for that given length allows the fish to stretch out and be played out by that stretch in the mono. If you don’t play out the fish before reeling him close to the boat he could make a hard swim for it and break your line when he is real close (short line). The reason being is that at that short length the percentage of elongation doesn’t give you enough stretch. I think with this general idea one could guesstimate that you wouldnt benefit greatly from a short dynamic tether.

Here’s a quick test you could do with fishing line as well. Wearing leather gloves, Cut A short piece of 10 to 15 pound test line, wrap it around your hands then pool until it breaks. Try to see how far you had to stretch the line before it breaks. Next tie some fishing line to a post or tree and stretch out about 10 yards. Grab the fishing line and begin to walk back. See how far you have to go back before the line breaks. Compare the two length of lines breaking.

If you want to reduce the fall forces I’d look into one of the shock absorbing links you can add to your system.

REI sells rope by the foot in store. Since they cater to rock climbing I think you’d have a decent chance at getting dynamic rope there.

Thanks. The concept of stretch as a % makes total sense. I was looking at Yates Screamers as an alternative.

My dynamic rope has a reported stretch of 11% or about 2 feet for every 20 feet. I can feel mine stretch more than a foot when I have 20 feet in the tree. As others have said, when I am within 4 feet of the top I can't really feel any stretch.

I thought REI did but I just checked and they seem to only sell static line by the foot.

Samson predator is hardly dynamic. Right?

Pretty much all arborist ropes are static (so much so that they usually don't even mention it in the product description). Predator is static.

Back