• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

AR kits. What's a good one?

MattMan81

SH Member
Someone on here has to have some good info on here. Looking to build an AR. Somone suggest palmetto to me for a kit. I don't know much about them. Not looking to do anything fancy. Just don't want to waste my time with junk.

Aero stuff is kind of the min acceptable cool kids club build. Mil spec plus a little better. I really like their integrated screw to remove any receiver wobble between the upper and lower. Most higher end parts have a similar feature

Thats pretty subjective. What are you looking to spend and what caliber?

Man why didn’t you start a more controversial thread like, which saddle is best? Lol. Ok here we go, hold on to your butts:
-I’ve built a few, were it me I’d go Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, LMT, Larue, Noveske, YHM. Yes they’re more expensive but you get what you pay for. These are top tier. For mid tier I consider Palmetto, Ruger, Aero precision. (I know someone that works for Ruger and their QA is getting better)
-If you don’t go with the above I recommend going milspec buffer tube as there are lots more parts and furniture for milspec, also if you sell in the future it’ll have higher resale value.
-what’s your use case? Varmint? Plinking? 3 gun? SBR/AR pistol? Home defense? Decide on that.
-if’n you’re wanting to throw a can on it consider your ammo. If you use subsonic ammo but have a 1:9 twist a lighter bullet will still break the sound barrier due velocity, so you may consider a barrel with a 1:7 twist.
Just my thoughts.
Edit:** and always go 5.56. Always.

Last edited:
I bought a complete PSA lower and a BCA upper (side charging) for a coyote/varmint bang around in the truck special that I didn't expect much out of but is pretty impressive and can't be beat for the price.
If you don't want to spend a lot and are dabbling in ARs I'd say you get more than what you pay for with that combo.

PSA is fine if you're just wanting to slap something together to plink with or wreck hogs. Prices go up from there but, you don't have to spend a fortune to build a decent entry AR. As others have mentioned Aero precision stuff isn't horrible either and if you don't mind blems you can find deals on their site (have to be diligent). Fair warning, building ARs can be a little addictive. You're already a saddle hunter, do you really want another hobby that sucks money like a Hoover? lol

Someone on here has to have some good info on here. Looking to build an AR. Somone suggest palmetto to me for a kit. I don't know much about them. Not looking to do anything fancy. Just don't want to waste my time with junk.

Depends how "kit" you want... you looking to fully assemble the upper and lower receivers yourself? Just want to snap together a pre-assembled upper and lower? Just want a truck gun, etc? Too many choices available for a succinct answer.

I've done BCA uppers on poverty pony lower builds myself, no complaints, but it's time consuming. My next will either be an IWI Zion 15, or a Ruger MPR 16". Mid-tier, decent upgrades already done, not going to break the bank. If I didn't care about paying the mortgage, Daniel Defense.

some of you guys hit the turbo button on me. Lol
So my thought is mostly something to have and hope I never need. Should I need it, would be nice to have something. Will probably not get shot much. So more of a defensive and break glass if needed mind set. Functional is the name of the game. Should It lead to more, I will evaluate that later.
PSA upper kit for 399 then a lower for 100. Gets me an AR for 500 bucks. If 600 I can have a more accurate dependable gun. I would splurge. But if 100 more doesn't gain me much for what I would do with it. I'll pass. Don't care what It looks like. Just has to function.

My bad, I tend to nuke things. I drive my wife nuts. What you described above should work just fine. Honestly functionality is more dependent on the ammo you feed it unless you had a flawed weapon system. So experiment with what ammo she likes and feed her that steady diet.

So my thought is mostly something to have and hope I never need. Should I need it, would be nice to have something. Will probably not get shot much. So more of a defensive and break glass if needed mind set. Functional is the name of the game. Should It lead to more, I will evaluate that later.
PSA upper kit for 399 then a lower for 100. Gets me an AR for 500 bucks. If 600 I can have a more accurate dependable gun. I would splurge. But if 100 more doesn't gain me much for what I would do with it. I'll pass. Don't care what It looks like. Just has to function.
Complete BCA upper for $250 or less and get a side charger which is nice with a scope but carry an allen wrench in the grip to take out the bolt if needed and PSA lower for $125 or less. Both offer military discounts.
No slop, shoots great!
PART_1640300989946_20211223_170809.jpg
PART_1642033698676_20220112_182743.jpg

Last edited:
Buy the PSA and spend the extra hundo on a Sig Romeo 5 for it.

Buy the PSA and spend the extra hundo on a Sig Romeo 5 for it.

Agreed. I’d also recommend 11.5-12.5” with a brace. Things are so handy you won’t believe it.

Also, a CMMG ARC .22LR kit for $170 is hours of cheaper (not really cheap anymore) plinking fun with your defensive carbine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is aero precision’s sister company:

Agreed. I’d also recommend 11.5-12.5” with a brace. Things are so handy you won’t believe it.

Also, a CMMG ARC .22LR kit for $170 is hours of cheaper (not really cheap anymore) plinking fun with your defensive carbine.

Love my 22 conversion kit. Tons of fun and worth every penny. My buddies always line up to borrow it on range days. Tight wads...

I’ve built like 8? Ars so far I think. If you’re first getting into it I’d recommend a completed upper and lower build kit from palmetto state. I have an 18” stainless 223 wylde from PSA and it will shoot sub moa. I highly highly recommend that upper. Anything PSA has been good to go for me and cheap. If you want to spend a little more and have more fun shopping, you can piece together a kit from all kinds of different companies. It’s a super fun hobby

Back