• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arborist new to SH.

spracklin

Hi everyone. been lurking for a while finally decided to make an account.

I'm a retired arborist in ontario canada and DRT SRT are old hat for me. looking to extend my hunting season with more options figured since i've got lots of gear, I should start saddle hunting.

I'm toying with the idea of using my petzl seqoia harness this season. I'll likely be using my crossbow, and would appreciate hearing from anyone else who hunts with a crossbow.

I'm a retired arborist in ontario canada and DRT SRT are old hat for me. looking to extend my hunting season with more options figured since i've got lots of gear, I should start saddle hunting.

I'm toying with the idea of using my petzl seqoia harness this season. I'll likely be using my crossbow, and would appreciate hearing from anyone else who hunts with a crossbow.
Welcome to the site! Can’t help you with the crossbow but I’m I’ll chime in once you start talking platforms and other saddlehunting gear. With the sequoia do you have a seat with it? If not you can’t fashion a fleece saddle which I’ll give you leaning or sitting comfort for these 4-12 hour hunts. They are light weight and cheap to make. Let me know if need info on making one.

Have you started thinking about what platform you would use. You might enjoy a ROS (ring of steps) coming from the arborist side. Theyre kind of like spurs in the sense that you can use them to pivot around the tree. This help with concealment and shooting. I imagine it would also help with a crossbow.

Arborist questions for you. How do you keep the chainsaw from nicking your climbing ropes? I’m doing some pruning on some trees in my back yard but I’m worried about the chainsaw blade roughing up my ropes.

Thanks!

If your leaning rather than sitting there will probably be enough room for your limbs to clear the tree, your tether/bridge works great for an arm rest with a crossbow/gun.

Welcome to the site! Can’t help you with the crossbow but I’m I’ll chime in once you start talking platforms and other saddlehunting gear. With the sequoia do you have a seat with it? If not you can’t fashion a fleece saddle which I’ll give you leaning or sitting comfort for these 4-12 hour hunts. They are light weight and cheap to make. Let me know if need info on making one.

Petzl has a seat that you can get with it - i've never bothered because i've been pretty comfortable normally, but I may pick one up.

Have you started thinking about what platform you would use.

This is why i'm here, I've not really thought about platforms too much, I'll definitely check out ring of steps.

How do you keep the chainsaw from nicking your climbing ropes? I’m doing some pruning on some trees in my back yard but I’m worried about the chainsaw blade roughing up my ropes.

Generally your chainsaw is secured to your saddle in such a way that the bar hangs away from your rope - most guys saw is attached to harness via lanyard, and use a gears clip/hook on the side to hold it out of the way. bigger saws i tend to just hang from the lanyard and just position it so its away from rope.

If you're going to climb with a saw, please please please make sure you are dialed in on your setup. wear proper PPE (saw pants etc) and have a self rescue plan. I dont care if the EMS station is across the street, if you injure yourself in a severe way, chances are they're doing a body recovery unless you can self rescue... I climb with a trauma pouch that has a pressure bandage and TQ, and in my career have thankfully never needed to use either.

Its really not something I'd suggest you do unless you've got lots of saw experience, rope experience etc and you have a good self rescue plan in place.

If your leaning rather than sitting there will probably be enough room for your limbs to clear the tree, your tether/bridge works great for an arm rest with a crossbow/gun.
My plan was to set up at my familys place, drop the target bag at different ranges and take a bunch of practice shots to get comfortable, a shake down cruise as it were - see what works, what doesnt. I'll likely be pre-setting some throw lines for a few of the spots i've chosen so I'm going to practice a bunch of shooting from trees with similar features as the ones i've chosen so I can make sure i'm dialed in.

Hi @spracklin ....I'm also in Ontario. Decided to get into saddle hunting late last year, so missed out on the 2021 hunting season, but will be xbox saddle hunting this year.

Got a JX3 hybrid saddle for that purpose, and all sorts of other gear. Gonna start using sticks, but rappel down. May practice SRT up as well.

This site is a great source of info, with many knowledgeable people, so you're in the right place.

Crossbows aren't hard out of a saddle...unless you miss and need to reload if you dont have a crank draw type bow. Do need to be good shooting free hand and awkward positions. Dont really recall not being in an awkward position yet to shoot a deer with with my crossbow.

Petzl has a seat that you can get with it - i've never bothered because i've been pretty comfortable normally, but I may pick one up.

This is why i'm here, I've not really thought about platforms too much, I'll definitely check out ring of steps.

Generally your chainsaw is secured to your saddle in such a way that the bar hangs away from your rope - most guys saw is attached to harness via lanyard, and use a gears clip/hook on the side to hold it out of the way. bigger saws i tend to just hang from the lanyard and just position it so its away from rope.

If you're going to climb with a saw, please please please make sure you are dialed in on your setup. wear proper PPE (saw pants etc) and have a self rescue plan. I dont care if the EMS station is across the street, if you injure yourself in a severe way, chances are they're doing a body recovery unless you can self rescue... I climb with a trauma pouch that has a pressure bandage and TQ, and in my career have thankfully never needed to use either.

Its really not something I'd suggest you do unless you've got lots of saw experience, rope experience etc and you have a good self rescue plan in place.

It is also recommended to be tied-in twice when using a chainsaw in the tree.

Welcome from New Jersey! I got 1 deer with a crossbow and saddle. I was just very mindful to lean away from the tree when aiming so the limbs wouldn’t contact it.

Hey what's crackalackin Spracklin? I bought my nephew a Barnet quad 400, ten years ago. But it didn't take. So, I just kept it all this time. Well 2 years ago I hurt my shoulder and couldn't use my bow. So, I took it. I couldn't believe how deadly it was. My shoulder is good but I'm a crossbow guy now.

Back