• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Are 2 blades actually bad for low lbs?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
So I recently watched a Jeff Phillips video where he argued that 3 blades are better than 2 blades. He specifically talk about the down side of the Magnus Stinger which are the head that I'm planning to use up coming season.

Basically because 2 blades stop spinning once they enter body, they will not penetrate as well as 3 blades and leave inferior blood trail. I'm not experience enough to argue against his points. So is he correct? Should I switch to 3 blades?

This is very different than most other advices that I got. I decided to go with 2 blade Magnus stingers because of the good balance between penetrations and blood trail.

Yes I understand, sharp blades is important, shot placement is important, and straight arrow flights are important. But if 3 blades are simply better, why not use them?

You will get various opinions on this but here's mine....

I've killed 50+ deer with trad bows. I've also killed many with the compound but I will stick with my trad experience on this post....

I personally don't like 2 blade heads unless they are 1.5" wide or more like a Simmons or a big Ace. I started out trad hunting almost 30 years ago with the Magnus standard 2 blade and killed several deer with them. I've killed deer with various 2 blade heads over the years such as Ace, Simmons, STOS, Ribtek, Zwickey and maybe a few more I have forgot.

My best shot recovery broadhead was with the original 160 grain 3 blade Snuffer. Over the last few years I have gravitated toward smaller 3 blade heads such as Woodsman and now the VPA 200 grain 3 blade due to dropping down in poundage. These heads have performed very well for me.

I don't know about 2 blade spinning or not spinning in the deer I just know a big 2 blade or a 3 blade makes a bigger hole and, in my opinion, leaves a better blood trail than the smaller 2 blades. I like the best blood trail I can get to help recover the animal.

Once again, this is just my opinion based on real life experience...

We all have our own opinion & sometimes it's hard to sort out what's best for you. I've shot Widow recurves for 40+ yrs. Always shot large snuffers. Didn't always shoot through. Went to two blade Zwickey and slip through every time. Is a bigger hole half way through better than a two blade all the way through?? I think not but that's just IMO. Put in the right spot and any of them will work. As the Ranch Fairy says" we cant control what the deer does. My thought is. if there's no hole out the bottom, there's not a good blood trail, especially with low poundage. I don't remember which the indians used.......

In my opinion, based upon personal experience, the 2 blades penetrate better with lower poundage bows pushing them. Beyond that, personal choice and faith in your equipment is what shines. A sharp broadhead through both lungs and I've never had a problem tracking them and it won't be far.

Without having watched the video, if the reason you choose between 2/3 blade is that guys weird theory that one spins and another doesn’t inside of the deer, that may not be a good way to choose……

I’ve killed several now with qad exodus. That head is great for many many reasons. The main three being easy to tune/easy to sharpen/tough.

Two blade will penetrate better, all things being equal.

I’ve broken a deer’s shoulder, and penetrated 80% of the length of its torso afterwards, and made a second hole, and found the deer within 100 yards with the exodus. But I shoot a 500gr arrow 290fps.

That same arrow going 230fps probably stops after penetrating several inches to a foot. With a 2 blade, you’re getting the goodies no matter what jn that shot.

Draw weight/length/arrow weight?

I hunted with a recurve for 30 years. When I started hunting with Gene, I switched to a Wensel Woodsman. They never let me down. Because of a shoulder injury I have gone to a Hickory Creek.
Thanks for the video, now I understand why my Woodsman broadheads are going through a new crossbow target. The Woodsmans do not group well at all, LOL.

Screenshot_20220906-134050_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220906-134129_Gallery.jpg

You will get various opinions on this but here's mine....

I've killed 50+ deer with trad bows. I've also killed many with the compound but I will stick with my trad experience on this post....

I personally don't like 2 blade heads unless they are 1.5" wide or more like a Simmons or a big Ace. I started out trad hunting almost 30 years ago with the Magnus standard 2 blade and killed several deer with them. I've killed deer with various 2 blade heads over the years such as Ace, Simmons, STOS, Ribtek, Zwickey and maybe a few more I have forgot.

My best shot recovery broadhead was with the original 160 grain 3 blade Snuffer. Over the last few years I have gravitated toward smaller 3 blade heads such as Woodsman and now the VPA 200 grain 3 blade due to dropping down in poundage. These heads have performed very well for me.

I don't know about 2 blade spinning or not spinning in the deer I just know a big 2 blade or a 3 blade makes a bigger hole and, in my opinion, leaves a better blood trail than the smaller 2 blades. I like the best blood trail I can get to help recover the animal.

Once again, this is just my opinion based on real life experience...

Listen to this guy, I take 30 years of real life experience over a YouTube video. 2 blade is fine, 3 blade is fine.

There's no reason a 3 blade would spin and a 2 blades wouldn't... if that were the case we'd all be using flathead screwdrivers.. the 3 blade would stop rotation just as effectively

Last edited:
Two blade, 3 blade and 4 blade double bevel broadheads tend to stop rotation when the broadhead begins to penetrate. 2 blade single bevel heads rotate in tissue not because of arrow rotation in flight, but as a byproduct of mechanical force generated by the opposing planes of the bevels. That is why it is important to match arrow rotation to single bevel rotation. Otherwise, flight rotation would have to stop and reverse course. This would rob the arrow of a lot of energy. On soft tissue, vital organ hits, two, three or four blades work fine if they are hair popping razor sharp. Especially if you get an exit. If you hit heavy bone, the 2 blade single bevel shows a decided advantage in splitting bone and allowing the broadhead to penetrate to the vitals. 3 blades tend to wedge into bone since the three blades act like a tapered wedge, getting tighter. This is what the Ashby test showed.

There are no absolutes where live animals are concerned. If at all possible, I personally want a broadhead that will have the very best chance of penetrating to the vitals when things go wrong. I also want the best chance of getting the arrow through the deer. A deer with an arrow still in them will usually run full speed for cover unless the arrow hit the central nervous system, then they drop.

The main thing is to hit them perfectly every time with a hair popping sharp broadhead. Since I can't guarantee I can do that every time I like to hedge my bets with a good hair popping sharp single bevel broadhead. There are still no guarantees.

Ashby results are based on penitrating bone, shoulders. I have never hit a shoulder on entering the deer so why would I chose a broadhead based on a 1 in 100 chance. I want the blood trail of the 3 blade and going through a rib is a piece of cake.
You can discuss this all day long. If it works for you don't change.

Back