• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Are there any structural concerns with material strength with dyeing a saddle?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
I'll be honest, I love my Recon and don't plan to get another saddle anytime soon (famous words most of us say before buying another saddle next day). But I just don't love the color. I know I know, camo does not put meat on the table. But to me it just stand out compare to all the other earth tone colors of the rest of my equipment. This is just for personal preferences, in no way am I saying it will make me a better hunter. Wife been dyeing shirts for the kids for creative activities. Limited googling has me almost convinced that dyeing does not make the material weaker. But I just wanted to know if anyone has ever try dyeing their saddles with RitDye or HydroDip, or anything like that, spray cans? Anything you didn't expect like long lasting odors? sounds? dye peeling? From what I understand polyester is hard to dye. Just wanted to get some opinion before buying some. Thank you!

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it. I talked at length to a custom string maker and he talked all about how different color dyes change the string properties slightly by chemically bonding to the material. Just not something I want to mess with. I definitely wouldn't follow the RIT dye instructions of bringing the whole thing to near boiling. If I were forced to do this, I'd probably get the most benign seeming fabric paint (that has no solvents in it....so water based) and just smudge the outside and then let it dry.

I like the gray color, we have a lot of maples and beech up here and it fits right in the Northeastern Hardwoods I hunt in.

Get some vet wrap or stealth strips and wrap it with some of that to break up the outline. Maybe even some magic marker and draw zig zags on it to break if up if you're worried about it. Movement is always more of a concern in my experience than color. But again, I think the gray matches perfectly for my area. I think @Bwhana has a thread on here somewhere that outlines how he paints his camo pants and shirts. Might have some insight in that thread fyi.

I took powdered carbon and put into water and stirred. I then dipped my ghillie suit in it. Came out little darker.. it was "scent free" for a small bit of time I suppose also.

I'll be honest, I love my Recon and don't plan to get another saddle anytime soon (famous words most of us say before buying another saddle next day). But I just don't love the color. I know I know, camo does not put meat on the table. But to me it just stand out compare to all the other earth tone colors of the rest of my equipment. This is just for personal preferences, in no way am I saying it will make me a better hunter. Wife been dyeing shirts for the kids for creative activities. Limited googling has me almost convinced that dyeing does not make the material weaker. But I just wanted to know if anyone has ever try dyeing their saddles with RitDye or HydroDip, or anything like that, spray cans? Anything you didn't expect like long lasting odors? sounds? dye peeling? From what I understand polyester is hard to dye. Just wanted to get some opinion before buying some. Thank you!
I personally think you should listen to raisins... While it will not destroy the material the saddle is made of because both nylon and polyester do not begin being damaged until around 300 degrees (both have melting points of over 400 degrees), while it most likely will not weaken them or damage them, if you bring the water to a boil and then let them sit in it (water boils around 212 degrees) it will change the characteristics of the material. Meaning it might stiffen them or take away so elasticity. It could also damage already slightly weakened thread that hold the saddle together being that those threads are smaller than the yarns used to make the webbing. So if it were me, I would just pay no attention to the color difference and keep on hunting. If it truly bothers you that much reach out to the saddle manufacturer about creating you a custom colored saddle. If they won’t do it, there are other companies that will.

I found that thread from @Bwhana about camo painting. @raisins also made a good point that reminded me of what I read about GAS strings. I disregarded the boiling method immediately. Was just thinking about hydro dipping in cold water. Guess it's something I should consider carefully.

I found that thread from @Bwhana about camo painting. @raisins also made a good point that reminded me of what I read about GAS strings. I disregarded the boiling method immediately. Was just thinking about hydro dipping in cold water. Guess it's something I should consider carefully.
It is one thing to paint or dye a shirt. It’s thin and it doesn’t have to support much weight. I am not sure about painting life support material. The paint will most likely bond, but again would it change the elasticity or make the webbing too stiff to be comfortable? Those would be my concerns.

Alot of it will have to do with what the dye or paint is actually made of. Some of the water based stuff that can be washed out might be okay. I'd be leary of any oil based paints, especially spray paints.

I have the Recon to and love it not a fan of the color also, but after a season of hunting the color has faded into a dull gray. I thought about using different colored markers but after it faded I’m fine with it now. I’d wait and let it fade naturally.

I dyed my Big Brown Back Band with RIT dye for polyester. If I break this, I am the unluckiest or fattest, person in the world. Should I hoist my tuck with it to test?

I dyed my Big Brown Back Band with RIT dye for polyester. If I break this, I am the unluckiest or fattest, person in the world. Should I hoist my tuck with it to test?
I say do it lol if nothing else do it for the research

Come on ya'll. You mean I can't get one single united answer to a question on an internet forum? J/K

Found an old thread by @bj139 about dye. I think I will go with the DyeMore Brown with low heat for longer period of time.

Last edited:
Come on ya'll. You mean I can't one single united answer to a question on an internet forum? J/K

Found an old thread by @bj139 about dye. I think I will go with the DyeMore Brown with low heat for longer period of time.

If you just use warm water (no stove, no real heat) and just use more dye than recommended and leave it soaking for way longer, then it will also turn out. You can trade heat (somewhat) for dye concentration and dye time. I did a backpack like that I didn't want to heat up.

Back