• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Are Traegers worth it?

Or is there a better bang for your buck option?

I don’t think so. I chose pitboss over Traeger due to cost. The pitboss to be felt sturdier, better built, and had higher quality items such as grates and outside acces sear plate exposure.

You get more for your money. Traeger is name recognition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure this is like a Chevy, Ford, Dodge debate but if my Traeger ever gets destroyed by unforeseeable circumstances, I'll buy another.

I'm sure this is like a Chevy, Ford, Dodge debate but if my Traeger ever gets destroyed by unforeseeable circumstances, I'll buy another.

I don’t think it is, but that’s me personally. I’m devoutly unloyal when it comes to brands of consumer goods. I thought I’d be buying a Traeger when I was in the market. The Traeger metal felt thin, the lids didn’t have the heft I was looking for, and the grates seemed a bit underwhelming for the money I was spending. When it comes time to replace, all brands are on the ticket to check out. Same with trucks, bows, saddles, and coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another reason I went with a Traeger is a lot of stores around here sell them so the parts are readily available a few minutes away if needed. I'd hate to have a heating element go out while smoking a prime rib roast or something and be stuck finishing on my old fridge smoker.

I bought a CampChef because I got a military discount and I’m quite pleased with it.

Last edited:
I have a Pitboss XL Austin pellet grill and love it. My friend has a Traeger and told me not to buy a Traeger because it's not made very stout. If he had to do it over again he would buy a Pitboss.

They are all about the same...I've had a Camp Chef 24 for 2 years and love it. Two things that you might not think about that are important.... Whatever one you get, make sure it has the new PID temperature controller; This technology allows the smoker to constantly adjust the speed of the pellets to keep a constant temp; the older technology had a 20-60 degree temp swing depending on many variables. The second is to make sure you start pellet grills with the lid up for about 5-10 minutes. If you don't you could have a flameout and then a real fire. I highly recommend the Camp Chef though!

Not sure what your budget is, but Grilla Grills out of West Michigan are an excellent choice. They do manufacture in China but they've got a pretty honest article on their website about it if that's something important to you. They make a very nice grill/smoker.

Check these out. They are worth every penny and built to last many years. I lived just a short drive from there facility and have received amazing customer service with them... great people to deal with!

They are actually doing a great sale right now also.

Ugly Drum Smoker unless you are set on a pellet oven. People build them for dirt cheap depending on how fancy you want to get. A Weber kettle can also be used as a smoker. Both take a little more effort than a pellet oven but not as much as a stick burner. I have a sense of pride pulling a delicious hunk of BBQ out of the UDS that I made.

I don’t have one single issue with my Traeger 575 Pro. Best purchase I made in a long time. Every single thing I made in it came out perfect and super easy to make. Load the program on the app and monitor remotely if you want. So easy even a caveman could do it.

Back