• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Are you happy with your hunting bow?

What is your hunting bow status

• Like it. Plan to hang on to it for a while or long time.

Votes: 54 69.2%
  • I just get a new one every year. New or used.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have multiple ones. Constantly changing and hunt with what ever I am in the mood to use.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • All Trad baby! May have a few more than I need. But one go to.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Would love to try everything. But not enough time and money to tinker with it.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I finally broke down and just got a Hickory Creek.

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

MattMan81

SH Member
So I have been lurking on AT, and browsing used bows while looking for limbs for mine. Pretty happy with mine. But seems like some guys are going through bows like some guys do saddles trying to find just the right fit. I don't really want to dive down that rabbit hole, because I see the temptation on the saddle stuff is hard enough to hold back. But once they get down seems under that $500 mark you wouldn't be loosing out on a whole lot swapping around. Now I understand changing your bow around is way different than a saddle. But just curious how everyone else treats it. Compound, Xbow, or Trad.

Yeah, it can be a problem.

I only buy a new bow when something legitimately better comes along and my current setup is getting long in the tough and beat up. I buy a new compound bow every 5 years or so.

However, I'm seriously tempted by the new PSE carbon bows with the easy shim system. I might get one in 2024. Today's bows are crazy heavy compared to bows from the 1990s.

I went with I would love to try everything but time/ money. I just finished( I hope ) outfitting my new bow, solution SS. Not sure it was worth it to be honest. A bit of buyers remorse , for sure. I'm going to shoot it until it's natural but in the back of my head that old cheap switchback XT might be as hard to beat as I was told it would be.

Anyway definitely like playing with things but i should use more of a " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. BT is headed out for turkey and next fall FWIW

I went with I would love to try everything but time/ money. I just finished( I hope ) outfitting my new bow, solution SS. Not sure it was worth it to be honest. A bit of buyers remorse , for sure. I'm going to shoot it until it's natural but in the back of my head that old cheap switchback XT might be as hard to beat as I was told it would be.

Anyway definitely like playing with things but i should use more of a " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. BT is headed out for turkey and next fall FWIW

that's an awesome bow....it was between the SS and the Revolt....i went Revolt and still question that

the 2 bows on my radar if I were to buy tomorrow would be the SS34 and the PSE Mach 34

I hunt with my Mathews HTR that is now 7 years old. I just bought a switchback XT that I will also hunt with. I have a Hoyt Torrex XT I bought it last year but it has not seen the woods. I like my older bows. Not sure I will buy another thousand dollar bow. With the mid range options nowadays they are making in my opinion there is no need for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Couldn’t vote. I love my current bow but the draw cycle on that PSE Dream Season is torture. Looking forward to a new Mathews in 2023. First time I am moving away from PSE. They’ve treated me awesome through the years and I’ve owned 3 total

I have a Hoyt Power Hawk 70# that I bought a number of years ago. It was fine when I shot a lot was younger and didn't have shoulder problems. The draw cycle is harsh but the bow shoots great. I am getting 50# limbs for it and hopefully it will remain useable. My other bow is an Elite Kure 60# that I bought last year. It is absolutely a pleasure to shoot. Easy to draw and hold, easily tuned. I am not in the market for anything new right now. But who knows what might follow me home.

I have 2 Killer Instinct crossbows (Ripper and Burner), one is a backup, and I love them. Going on 3 years now with these bows. I had a Centerpoint Sniper 370 before the KI(s), another affordable option that excelled. I loved that bow as well. Really the only reason I sold the Centerpoint and bought the KI(s) is 1lb. difference in weight and a little better trigger.

The KI(s) are cheap, fast, consistent, light and have a lifetime warranty. (I accidentally dry fired one of them and KI had no issues replacing the parts. Honestly, I think the phone call was about a minute long and parts were on my doorstep 3 days later.)

I encourage anyone looking for a new bow to pick the attributes that mean the most to you, like dimensions, weight, speed, etc., and make sure you include an affordable option in your comparison chart. I think more times than not you will find yourself asking why did I want to pay more for this other brand.

Last edited:
I’ve always had Parker’s and I’m still holding onto my Viking but it’s time to replace it I just can’t fathom or really afford any of the big names. Maybe if we didn’t have such an incredible president running our country into the ground I could afford better. Thinking about going the bear route they’re affordable and seem to have decent reviews on the white tail legend pro. Gonna try to get to the shop soon and shoot one

I have a couple year old Hoyt Rx-1 ultra. I love the bow and it’s easy for me to pickup and be where I left off if that makes sense. I’m always tempted to buy a new buy but from what I’ve seen. I don’t see a real gain in doing so. Bows haven’t changed that much in several years and they hardly change at all year to year. I wish I could definitely listen to my own advice on this one all the time. I’ll probably eventually slip up and buy something else. My advice to someone else is save your money unless you bow is really old.

Change your dang strings and cables though. This goes to everyone

I have a couple year old Hoyt Rx-1 ultra. I love the bow and it’s easy for me to pickup and be where I left off if that makes sense. I’m always tempted to buy a new buy but from what I’ve seen. I don’t see a real gain in doing so. Bows haven’t changed that much in several years and they hardly change at all year to year. I wish I could definitely listen to my own advice on this one all the time. I’ll probably eventually slip up and buy something else. My advice to someone else is save your money unless you bow is really old.

Change your dang strings and cables though. This goes to everyone
I shoot through a set of Strings and cables every summer and re string it again right after season for the 3D leagues throughout the winter. My rule of thumb was always replace the bow when you’ve spent as much on strings as you have the bow. I’m well passed that at this point haha

I shoot through a set of Strings and cables every summer and re string it again right after season for the 3D leagues throughout the winter. My rule of thumb was always replace the bow when you’ve spent as much on strings as you have the bow. I’m well passed that at this point haha
I like that! At least you got something out of it. Some people will just buy a new bow and they haven’t even done anything with their old one.

There was a classifieds looking for a Switchback XT and I was thinking of responding (with a new Athens or Prime Revex in mind). But I just restrung and tuned my XT last year and set up new arrows and it’s shooting like a million bucks and I’m not going to part ways unless I’m sure of the replacement or the price is right.

Haven’t practically shot a bow newer than the Z7 (nice bow), ever. My XT and Legacy have been good to me. I’d love to have some more fps though, but I’m not sure how I’ll like these heavy, short brace height modern bows. Wondering what I’m missing I guess.

Then I see all these awesome rifles at the same price as the new flagship bows and I’m good…unless someone really wants my XT, lol.

I got my Hoyt Charger new in 15’. I could probably get something that’s a little faster and with a smoother draw but they’re mostly incremental upgrades. I’ve been more interested in crossbows recently. Just a more efficient weapon. I still enjoy shooting my vertical bow more but it’s nice to have a crossbow that you can just take out of the case and drill the target at 50. I have a cheap Centerpoint Sniper 370 but am looking hard at the CP400 that’s 40% off right now.

Went with Like it gonna hold onto it. 2 years ago I went from a hand-me down 1997 bowtech stalker to an elite Enkore. Nice draw cycle but I just couldn’t get along with it. Then a used bow I was going to buy originally on AT came up for sale again and this time the price was right so I bought it and love it. APA mamba MT33. Let me just say, every bow should have the fang hook to hang it in the tree. I’d love to taste the Mathews cool aid some day but can’t afford to.

I don’t understand the I’m buying a new bow this year after I spent $1500 on last years bow. I have a 2021 Elite Ember #65 draw and shoots 221fps. It’s my 1st bow and I’m probably gonna use it till (A) it breaks or (B) I break.

Yeah, I'd upgrade that with a new bow this year. For sure.

Lol, just kidding.

Went with Like it gonna hold onto it. 2 years ago I went from a hand-me down 1997 bowtech stalker to an elite Enkore. Nice draw cycle but I just couldn’t get along with it. Then a used bow I was going to buy originally on AT came up for sale again and this time the price was right so I bought it and love it. APA mamba MT33. Let me just say, every bow should have the fang hook to hang it in the tree. I’d love to taste the Mathews cool aid some day but can’t afford to.
X2 on the Mathews cool aid. I'm sure they are sweet. But why drive a Ferrari to work when my Ford works just as well.

Back