• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Army green line (eye splice) for rappelling

smcchevy

I have a spool of 7/16 three strand rappelling rope (I forget the NSN). I think I'm going to try out one sticking (mulling over Stacked Outdoors sticks) . Do yall think that it would be worth it to make an eye splice to girth hitch for rappelling down? Obviously I'd source a figure 8 or ATC, but am not too familiar with the ATCs. Anyone know if you can run 3 strand through them?

Or should I get some static line instead?

Thoughts and feedback is appreciated.

Just not sure what you mean, but if your talking "halter rope" or twisted rope, I would personally go with static rope with protective sheath. Something from a rope manufactured sold for rappelling. Again, I just a guy with an opinion.

Be safe!

I’m in the same situation. My dad had some closet stored lightly used 3 strand army rope. It’s made for rappelling. I’m going to cut about 40’ off and use it to rappel down this year. Got a rescue 8 for the ears. It’s a little heavier than I wanted, but was told it would be safer given my experience level. My plan was to knot and girth hitch. Didn’t know about the ability to splice until I just YouTubed it. Adding it to the to do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in the same situation. My dad had some closet stored lightly used 3 strand army rope. It’s made for rappelling. I’m going to cut about 40’ off and use it to rappel down this year. Got a rescue 8 for the ears. It’s a little heavier than I wanted, but was told it would be safer given my experience level. My plan was to knot and girth hitch. Didn’t know about the ability to splice until I just YouTubed it. Adding it to the to do list.

I got a rescue eight and was surprised how little friction it had on my 8mm rope. I did find if I loop it through 3 times I could use it to rappel. Practice at ground level with looping through 1, 2 and 3 times to see how well your tag end hand can stop you. If you don't know what I mean by loop through three times ask and I will explain further. If you are not familiar with rappeling make sure to use an autoblock prusik type knot on the tag end clipped to your harness or if you are more than 2 feet from the ground.

Last edited:
I have a spool of 7/16 three strand rappelling rope (I forget the NSN). I think I'm going to try out one sticking (mulling over Stacked Outdoors sticks) . Do yall think that it would be worth it to make an eye splice to girth hitch for rappelling down? Obviously I'd source a figure 8 or ATC, but am not too familiar with the ATCs. Anyone know if you can run 3 strand through them?

Or should I get some static line instead?

Thoughts and feedback is appreciated.
Make sure to NOT make your first try a rapel from 20 feet up. Try 2 feet. A figure eight should work with the rope you have if the military uses it. Only you can verify if it will work for you. I do not know what you mean by "make an eye splice to girth hitch for rappelling down".

Make sure to NOT make your first try a rapel from 20 feet up. Try 2 feet. A figure eight should work with the rope you have if the military uses it. Only you can verify if it will work for you. I do not know what you mean by "make an eye splice to girth hitch for rappelling down".

I was referring to attaching the rappel rope to the tree. Knots vs splice.

I am pretty familiar with rappelling courtesy of the Army.

Yes that's what I was referring to. And does anyone know if you can use green line in an atc device?
No. Green will absolutely not work. Red is best. :grinning:
Actually, I don't think the ATC can tell what color the line is.

No. Green will absolutely not work. Red is best. :grinning:
Actually, I don't think the ATC can tell what color the line is.
Haha I was thinking blue, I've never used an atc, only fig 8s and good ol usgi caribeaners. I didnt know about 3 strand vs kernmantle

Haha I was thinking blue, I've never used an atc, only fig 8s and good ol usgi caribeaners. I didnt know about 3 strand vs kernmantle
ATCs have a rope size range recommended by the manufacturers. I have been know to use 8.0mm rope in a device rated down to 8.9mm. I found that it does work but I take extra care in it's use.

I am pretty familiar with rappelling courtesy of the Army.

Yes that's what I was referring to. And does anyone know if you can use green line in an atc device?

Cut you off a chunk and tie yourself one of those sweet, comfortable Swiss seats...may even do away with your saddle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back