• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow question

Ok guys I recently got a Black Hunter longbow to take to the woods instead of taking my old Bear Kmag all the time. Well I got the bow set up and started with a bare shaft from my recurve. The arrows are Gold Tip Trad Classic XT 340s cut to 28.625" with the factory 80gr insert, 200gr point, and a 2" 20gr footer. This setup flies perfect from the Bear, but the Black Hunter shows to be extremely weak. The Black Hunter is 55#@28" and the Bear is 52#@28", and the center cut on the shelf of the bows are different as well. I played around with different points all the way down to just the insert. Without any point and just the 80gr insert adding a toothpick behind the strikeplate (calfhair), the arrows were still showing slightly weak. My question is should I get some 300s or some 250s? I've tried using the 3rivers spine chart but it is a joke, and I haven't figured how to set up qspine for a recurve or longbow.

if the arrow is to stiff it will bounce off of the riser, making it look weak.

if the arrow is to stiff it will bounce off of the riser, making it look weak.

That's makes sense. It's also strange because a 300gr point on the 340 showed too weak compared to just the 80gr insert that was impacting much more square. This was making me think I needed a stiffer spine. Odd that the 400 with 200gr points fly true.

with carbons the length has a lot to do with it, you should start long and cut down to tune to the weight of broadhead you will be shooting

with carbons the length has a lot to do with it, you should start long and cut down to tune to the weight of broadhead you will be shooting

That's how I did my recurve and got it right. I was just playing with what I had on hand and changing point weights to hopefully get an idea of what I might need for the longbow. I guess I'm just going to order another test kit from 3rivers then.

Waaay too stiff. I can shoot the same arrow from multiple bows 58-64#. 29”, 400. 100 grain brass insert and any broadheads between 165ish and 200.

I have 2 different recurves. Both the same spec. One loves 400's other 350's

Im no expert on this stuff. After watching the push video on YouTube during lockdown in march. I started shooting a 40lb/28 dl blackhunter this summer. I had a lot of fun

Ive chased weak spine with so many different arrow and point combinations its crazy. I finally tried hunting with full length 2315 alum gamegetter with 150 gr stingers.
3rivers calculator says its an 74 lb arrow. Everbody online is shooting a lot weaker. They group pretty good out to 20 yards. Maybe its s false weak.
I guess its time to take the ted pill.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

After watching the video it appears a very consistent shot execution with deflection off the riser could show a false weak.

Is that possible and group arrows?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back