• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow rest issues (QAD)

bowhuntr09

SH Member
I bought a Vertix a couple years ago with a QAD dropaway rest. When I first started shooting the bow (after years and years of shooting a Bowtech) I was getting fletching ripped off arrows. Bowshop convinced me it was my form and I was torquing the bow. I had been shooting for years and normally shot with an open bow hand, so the torquing didn't ring true to me, but I still let them convince me it was me.

After shooting bare shafts today I am not so convinced. I noticed about 50% of the shots I fired today, the rest was still up after the shot. That led me to think it really was the rest all along. Except on the fletched arrow shots its never up, presumably because as the fletchings hit it (and get ripped off) it has enough force to knock the hung rest back down.

Does this sound plausible to anyone else? Anyone had any similar issues with a QAD? I'm thinking of just switching up for a biscuit at this point.

I would put it on a draw board, draw it all the way, and then let it down 1". Then tighten the cord until the rest is all the way up (the reference lines should cross each other and the rest up as far as it will go). Then try it. The instructions QAD gives aren't so great.

It was tuned/adjusted by the local shop after I experienced issues. They swear it’s timed correctly.

You know them and can judge if they are legit. You can check yourself by videoing you drawing the bow and see where on the arrow you are at when the rest goes up and stops moving.

I bought a Vertix a couple years ago with a QAD dropaway rest. When I first started shooting the bow (after years and years of shooting a Bowtech) I was getting fletching ripped off arrows. Bowshop convinced me it was my form and I was torquing the bow. I had been shooting for years and normally shot with an open bow hand, so the torquing didn't ring true to me, but I still let them convince me it was me.

After shooting bare shafts today I am not so convinced. I noticed about 50% of the shots I fired today, the rest was still up after the shot. That led me to think it really was the rest all along. Except on the fletched arrow shots its never up, presumably because as the fletchings hit it (and get ripped off) it has enough force to knock the hung rest back down.

Does this sound plausible to anyone else? Anyone had any similar issues with a QAD? I'm thinking of just switching up for a biscuit at this point.

QAD have a lifetime warranty.

That’s a rest timing issue—not a torque issue. Or just a faulty rest. I’d either re-time the rest on a drawboard and reset it or replace it.

I’ve shot QADs on most all of my bows, and had this happen a few months ago on a new rest.

Everything was timed correctly and I shot it for about 2 weeks and then half of the launcher arm blew off and my arrow went about 3 feet to the left. Took it back to the shop and they swapped it with a new one (due to the lifetime warranty), and gave me a new one.

Not sure exactly what the deal was, but it would stick in the upright position somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a qad hunter they are known for it what happens is the fletching will push the launcher down that's why with fletchings the launcher always falls, what my issue was is I was creeping right before the shot so the rest wasn't all the way up

First, I would tighten the cord just a bit. If the doesn’t work then call QAD. They will make it right.

Thanks for all the comments. I reached out to QAD this morning as they really wanted to help, but it’s a Mathews branded QAD rest so support has to be from Mathews. I called Mathews and they did call me right back.....to brush me off and refer me to a dealer. Disappointing on a customer service level to say the least considering I started with a dealer on this issue 2 years ago.

Thanks for all the comments. I reached out to QAD this morning as they really wanted to help, but it’s a Mathews branded QAD rest so support has to be from Mathews. I called Mathews and they did call me right back.....to brush me off and refer me to a dealer. Disappointing on a customer service level to say the least considering I started with a dealer on this issue 2 years ago.
My bow tech hates QAD. he brings out a big bucket of broken ones everytime someone tries to by one. I have one on my old bow and havent had any problems and would think if 80% of bows use QAD rests of course you would have more broken QAD's laying around haha. Needless to say, i have a hamske on my SR6 and i like it. He is a big supporter of limb driven rests. more reliable i guess...

Don’t assume your pro shop cares more about your bow and set up than you. If you’ve tested the rest and it works you’ll need to tweak it.
Sharing my story:
I have a limb driven and I increased draw weight. I started to have problems and figured out I needed to move string out to the limb bolt.
I decreased draw weight for turkey season and just attached the string back by the cam.
Everything worked fine.
Sometimes little things can solve the problem.

I’m really liking what I see from the Hamskea Trinity. I may just switch up and go that route and sell the replacement when it comes back.

Been using Hamskea Trinity on both of by bows for a few seasons and it just works. Like others have said you have a timing issue or a bad rest. Stick with the Trinity and move on.

Back