• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow rest suggestions

slonstdy

SH Member
After all these years of owning just a single bow at a time I finally decided to add another as a backup in the event my original bow somehow suffers a catastrophic event like being dropped out of a tree, slammed by a car door/trunk or even run over by a car! I know most damage can be repaired but what scares me the most is that my bow hunting season would end at that moment until it was repaired or I found a replacement. Either way adds up to valuable hunting time lost which would kill me. Not happening!

I just picked up a PSE Evoke31 and am looking for an arrow rest but don't really know which one to get. I've got a Trophy Taker drop away which has served me well on my other bow so I know I want a drop away. I've been looking at the QAD Ultra rests, they've got a few different models. Does anyone here have experience with them, good or bad? Should I stay with Trophy Taker or would you recommend a different brand, maybe Ripcord? Or like anything else, am I overthinking it?

QAD is good stuff but I don't like cable driven rests as cables can stretch and change. If you go with a dropaway, my suggestion is a limbdriven dropaway. The Vaportrail Gen7 is great and if you really want bombproof, check out the Hamskea Trinity Hunter. Whisker biscuit's are time proven and very simple which is a great way to go too. If you ever think you want to shoot a fob or something though, you'll need a dropaway.

https://www.vaportrailarchery.com/gen-7.html
https://www.hamskeaarchery.com/product/trinity-hunter-pro-arrow-rest/

I have the QAD ultra rest intergrate Mx have shot whisker biscuits as a kid and early bow hunting year. I’ve never had an issue with the QAD as far as being cable driven I’ve never had an issue with stretching and getting out of time so bad you will even notice. The thing with the intergrate is it’s more precise when you go to adjusting I find that the average bow hunter really doesn’t have to spend that amount of money for that rest unless he’s going to get into his own micro tuning. The whisker biscuit though to me is a good rest for a hunter that goes back and forth from truck to stand with not very much brush. I hunt thick powmeadow and it was always an issue getting stuff stuck in the rest fibers I always paid attention to it but it was something I had in my mind to worry about something getting between fibers and changing arrow flight. I also shot the standard QAD ultra rest for years and still have one that’s over 7 years old and have never had an issue or failure from it.

Hamskea hybrid hunter best rest I’ve ever put on a hunting bow been using them since they came out

Been using a trophy take drop away for years, no problems with it yet.

So many choices these days... I'm sure whisker biscuits are great but the voices in my head cannot get behind the thought of willfully inducing fletching contact with anything other than an animal so drop away is it for me.

I've never had a problem with mine coming out of tune or the cord stretching so that's not a concern. I see now some are limb driven like the Hamskea for example instead of cable driven. Any difference between the two types, is one better than the other?

I've had and have liked qad, ripcord and currently pro-v and hamskae. I've never had a problem with any of them that was not user error.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro. Limb driven, super simple mechanism, not much can go wrong, dependable, inexpensive, durable. What else needs saying? Ok, made in China, but it works!

Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro. Limb driven, super simple mechanism, not much can go wrong, dependable, inexpensive, durable. What else needs saying? Ok, made in China, but it works!
Been trying to talk myself into one of these. Any experience in the snow with the smackdown? Being west of lake Erie it's either snowing or freezing rain when hunting. Had a Whisker biscuit ice up on me a few times. Octane hostage didn't ice up as bad but like the drop away idea!

Been trying to talk myself into one of these. Any experience in the snow with the smackdown? Being west of lake Erie it's either snowing or freezing rain when hunting. Had a Whisker biscuit ice up on me a few times. Octane hostage didn't ice up as bad but like the drop away idea!

Unfortunately, my archery season runs from late August to mid September. So no I don't have any experience in snow or sub freezing. Not yet anyway... I imagine just about any drop-away rest could possibly get wet, freeze up, and fail in severe enough weather.

If you shoot helical fletching drop always are the greatest thing ever.I prefer the QAD personally but if you shoot straight fletching or maybe a slightb offset nothing wrong with a biscuit.

Back