• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow setup to break heavy bone

Wmihunter

I have lost several good bucks to shoulder shots and I’m trying to remedy this. My current setup is 62#. 27.5” draw length. 515 grain arrow with 15% FOC with 5 mm Easton axis with 75 grain brass insert (27” arrow). I have some 125 grain helix (single bevel) but thinking of moving to iron will or QAD exodus. Do you have any recommendations? Do any of you have a similar setup that has broken through the heavier part of bucks leg (below the scapula)? Should I look at changing my setup. My momentum is about .059.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hahahhahhah, I will definitely put some voodoo on your deer and they'll just fall over dead - no need for arrows.

In all seriousness, momentum is not the cause of penetration/bone breaking. It's a deep rabbit hole to go down, and I don't recommend doing it if you're casually interested.

Single bevel (i'm not familiar with your particular head, but the mechanical advantage of the blade matters too) will outperform double bevel and three blade broadheads in regards to penetration/bone breaking.

There isn't much reason to shoot at a deer's leg bone when they're broadside. Most people think that leg bone goes straight down - it angles forward a fair amount, well in front of the majority of the heart/lungs. Obviously you can hit there because the deer moves, or because it's quartering to. Honestly with that draw weight/length, you're probably looking at needing a much heavier arrow to break through that bone. And to do that you'll be giving up a lot of trajectory - meaning your effective range is going to be much shorter than you probably would like it to be.

I'd be shortening my effective range to 20-25 yards, and shooting a 650+grain arrow, or stick with what you have, and don't take quartering to shots, and aim 4-5" behind that leg bone, and live with the results.

I’ve been testing out some heavier arrows after watching a bunch of Ranch Fairy YouTube videos (must watch if you’re looking to heavy up you rig). I replaced my 125 gr G5 Montec’s (534 total weight) with 250 gr single bevel Cutthroats (660 total weight), and was busting through elbow joints with good penetration into the block target behind. My arrow only dropped about 2” at 20 yds, easily corrected with my HHA sight tape. Still need to test on a live animal of course, but the test results were promising.
Update- I’m shooting a 73 lb Hoyt Defiant, 28” draw length
5CCCDAD9-C6B8-4B6F-B93F-415F0301A3DC.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been testing out some heavier arrows after watching a bunch of Ranch Fairy YouTube videos (must watch if you’re looking to heavy up you rig). I replaced my 125 gr G5 Montec’s (534 total weight) with 250 gr single bevel Cutthroats (660 total weight), and was busting through elbow joints with good penetration into the block target behind. My arrow only dropped about 2” at 20 yds, easily corrected with my HHA sight tape. Still need to test on a live animal of course, but the test results were promising.
View attachment 22393
Excellent advice.
But stay away from those fmj arrows. They won't remain straight like a full carbon arrow will. The aluminum core will hold the distortion.

I have lost several good bucks to shoulder shots and I’m trying to remedy this. My current setup is 62#. 27.5” draw length. 515 grain arrow with 15% FOC with 5 mm Easton axis with 75 grain brass insert (27” arrow). I have some 125 grain helix (single bevel) but thinking of moving to iron will or QAD exodus. Do you have any recommendations? Do any of you have a similar setup that has broken through the heavier part of bucks leg (below the scapula)? Should I look at changing my setup. My momentum is about .059.

I’m 70/27.5” with 455 grains Magnus Snuffer. Scapula entry and femur exit this year. 14%foc. I’ve had 5 pass through shots at all angles. Your setup should be perfect other than only being 62#.

I’m 70/27.5” with 455 grains Magnus Snuffer. Scapula entry and femur exit this year. 14%foc. I’ve had 5 pass through shots at all angles. Your setup should be perfect other than only being 62#.

Ok cool. The dee I have most were due to mechanicals, deflections etc

the issues you reported in you original post were not with the setup you posted in that post? now im confused...

Yes, the issues were not with the helix they were with other heads. I killed one for with the helix I am just trying to plan for worst case future scenarios

Yes, the issues were not with the helix they were with other heads. I killed one for with the helix I am just trying to plan for worst case future scenarios

With your initial post I was thinking there shouldn't be much of a problem. Maybe poor shot selection. Maybe increase FOC some. After seeing you were using mechanicals I'd say that was your issue.

check out this video. I may go with this setup. High FOC not
Too heavy of an arrow (lighter than what I shoot) with a 2 blade heavy single bevel with 100 grain insert

What’s your dl and poundage?

29.5 Dl 70 pounds with a 345IBO bow. When I say I deal I actually meant wont go below those numbers. Current set up is 578 with 18% and will be adding another 50 grains to the front this summer.

Also some good threads in this forum:

Back