• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow straightness

DanielB89

Do any of you guys check for arrow straightness, and more importantly, what do you do with arrows that are not straight?

I was fooling around with some arrows and decided to put them on my arrow spinner and I was amazed at how crooked some of them are. Since these arrows were already cut and had inserts and fletched, I just threw them away.

I do. I have not thrown any of them away, but I've never had 1 as bad as the one in the video. I keep the best in the quiver with broadheads. I keep a lesser set in a second quiver for emergency use. and the worst ones, I still shoot in the yard. If I had one as bad as the one in the video, I would probably throw it away. I prioritize my broadheads that way also. Nathan

That's why I went back to aluminum. For the cost of high priced, straight carbons, I can get 2 dozen perfectly straight aluminums.

Ive spun them on a spinner and seen wobble on some expensive arrows. They still seem to score well, but not a big confidence booster. The one in your video was crazy bad.

Ive spun them on a spinner and seen wobble on some expensive arrows. They still seem to score well, but not a big confidence booster. The one in your video was crazy bad.

I agree. Blew my mind. I took some brand new Black Eagle spartan .001 shafts that are $150/dzn and spun them.. the results were not nearly as bad as that, but I was not that impressed. I would have expected better results for that premium of a shaft. That can't help consistency.

I use Gold Tip Hunter grade arrows and every so often I get one that is not straight enough to shoot decent. Those end up as yardage markers on the range or stakes for the garden. The price I pay for going cheap. I spin check and shoot, with broadheads, every hunting arrow so bad shafts show themselves long before the ever see the field.

I spin test all of mine after cutting them down. If it's just a small wobble I'll keep them as backups or just to screw around with.

If you build your own arrows cut half of what you will be cutting off of the nock end and the other half of the front. A lot of times a .006 will be less than .003 and a .001 even better after doing this. Square the ends of the arrow and the insert. Little things make a difference.

If you build your own arrows cut half of what you will be cutting off of the nock end and the other half of the front. A lot of times a .006 will be less than .003 and a .001 even better after doing this. Square the ends of the arrow and the insert. Little things make a difference.

I do this.

I've been shooting Gold Tips. Last year I shot the Kinetic Pierce Platinums and I was not impressed. They weren't very straight but I was able to correct a little out by cutting from both ends. This year I went a bit cheaper and bought the Kinetic Pierce and they're about the same, which isn't too bad since they're a bit cheaper, but I'm still not impressed. I will say that I built a few dozen arrows for friends using the Gold Tip Kinetic (regular shaft diameter and much cheaper) and I was very impressed. They were noticeably straighter than my expensive arrows.

I do this.

I've been shooting Gold Tips. Last year I shot the Kinetic Pierce Platinums and I was not impressed. They weren't very straight but I was able to correct a little out by cutting from both ends. This year I went a bit cheaper and bought the Kinetic Pierce and they're about the same, which isn't too bad since they're a bit cheaper, but I'm still not impressed. I will say that I built a few dozen arrows for friends using the Gold Tip Kinetic (regular shaft diameter and much cheaper) and I was very impressed. They were noticeably straighter than my expensive arrows.

I am going to start spinning all my arrows and trimming them as described above and keep a note of what arrows had the best tolerance. Is there a tool out there to check arrow straightness? I bet that arrow above doesn't have a straightness of .1 haha.

I wonder if the carbon can just warp? I can't believe that arrow was that far out off.

I am going to start spinning all my arrows and trimming them as described above and keep a note of what arrows had the best tolerance. Is there a tool out there to check arrow straightness? I bet that arrow above doesn't have a straightness of .1 haha.

I wonder if the carbon can just warp? I can't believe that arrow was that far out off.
I hear the bear paw is excellent, but $$$ 3 rivers archery sells them.

Back