• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Artificial thermal?

ThereWillBeSpuds

Anyone ever tried creating an artificial updraft to carry your scent up and away from your stand? I am already planning to carry a length of pvc to push my srt rope up into limbless trees. Was thinking that a heated insole stuck inside a section of that and suspended above my head could cause significant updraft. If that wasnt enough, the homemade ozonics diy ppst reminded me of the existence of whisper quiet battery operated fans.

Any suggestions on how to test it? My best idea would be to set it up and sprinkle milkweed down by my ROS and see if they make it up into the tube.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Anyone ever tried creating an artificial updraft to carry your scent up and away from your stand? I am already planning to carry a length of pvc to push my srt rope up into limbless trees. Was thinking that a heated insole stuck inside a section of that and suspended above my head could cause significant updraft. If that wasnt enough, the homemade ozonics diy ppst reminded me of the existence of whisper quiet battery operated fans.

Any suggestions on how to test it? My best idea would be to set it up and sprinkle milkweed down by my ROS and see if they make it up into the tube.

My opinion is in a box blind that you could probably rig something up to work. I don't think in the wide open that you could possibly move enough air to have an impact.

I'm not sure I'm following? Even if you were able to impact the thermal / wind currents in your immediate vicinity (and I'm not sure you could) what would happen to your scent when it got a few feet away from you? Without natural thermals lifting it up it would just fall back to the ground around you.

I'm not sure I'm following? Even if you were able to impact the thermal / wind currents in your immediate vicinity (and I'm not sure you could) what would happen to your scent when it got a few feet away from you? Without natural thermals lifting it up it would just fall back to the ground around you.
Yeah that makes sense. What brings it to mind is the common idea that hunting high reduces scent. Im presuming that if you get your scent molecules up an extra few feet that would also have its advantages. Especially if that was accomplished by heating the air carrying them...

Yeah that makes sense. What brings it to mind is the common idea that hunting high reduces scent. Im presuming that if you get your scent molecules up an extra few feet that would also have its advantages. Especially if that was accomplished by heating the air carrying them...

Within a couple of feet after exiting the heated tube, your scent will be cooled to the ambient temps and will be at the mercy of the surrounding air flow. That's even if you could funnel your entire odor stream into the tube.

I have thought about this a lot, you can get a cirrus wind detector to test the effectiveness. When it is cold outside I think it will be much easier to carry your “heated” scent upwards. I have a solar powered exhaust fan connected to pvc in my pig hunting stand, but I hunt down near a river bottom so I still get winded from time to time.

Within a couple of feet after exiting the heated tube, your scent will be cooled to the ambient temps and will be at the mercy of the surrounding air flow. That's even if you could funnel your entire odor stream into the tube.
I think the velocity is important.

Back