• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Athen's Archery

98XJRC

Ok so I've gotta ask, does anyone have any experience with Athen's Archery? Their Vista 31 and 33 have really peaked my interest since seeing some reviews from Average Jack Archery and Ohio Premier Archery on the bows. They area a smaller company, but seem to be making some headways among those who look outside of the name brands.

I have a 2019 Athens Ridge 32. No complaints at all. It is my favorite grip (bare riser) of any bow ever. The geometry just fits my hand and form perfectly.

I have shot a few. Always very nice with great service. Best grip in the biz, IMHO.

May have to look into that, plus I just learned of a new dealer/shop right by my house.

I just ordered a 22 Athens 35 in Gunsmoke/Early Seezyn. 65#

Should be an absolutely gorgeous bow and shoot great to boot. I’m still struggling with the idea of ordering one without getting my hands on one.

Should be an absolutely gorgeous bow and shoot great to boot. I’m still struggling with the idea of ordering one without getting my hands on one.
I just took a chance and ordered straight from Athens. If no good I’ll cut my losses and get something else. My CPXL is still a killer but like saddle gear just want something new.

So I made some time during the snow storm yesterday morning to make the trip to my closest Athens dealer. They had a couple of 31’s and 33’s in stock and several older model bows as well. Bows aren’t their main means of business so they had several manufacturers with older models available.

First bow I shot was the Vista 31. Unfortunately either the arrow was faulty (which I don’t believe it was) or someone had really jacked with the bow. It was a 70 lb model however someone had really backed out the limbs so I’m unsure of what the pull weight actually was. When I fired the bow seemed super loud and for good reason as the string had jumped off the cam. Personally I think someone in the shop had backed the limbs out to far for a customer to try and fit them to the bow and went to an unsafe range. Not a fault of Athens.

The 33 and other 31 I then shot though both felt great. The draw cycle was smooth with a small hump right at the end of pull. I drew and let down several times on both bows and was pleased with how it felt. The bow didn’t attempt to rip my shoulder apart when letting down which is unlike the Matthews V3 I’ve test shot. There was a slight vibration with both bows that could be felt, however that was with not wrapping my hand around the bow as I wanted to see if it wanted to jump when being fired. My brother was along with me as well and shot the 33. He has a New Breed and was also impressed with the draw cycle and shot.

Overall I was very impressed with both bows and it doesn’t help my decision of wether the 31 or 33 will be better for me. I like the 31 for strictly the hunting role but the 33 has its advantage for 3D. I don’t shoot much 3D though so there’s that.

On another note they had the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie with the triple stack. Honestly I think they goofed on their pricing as they had it at $275. Everywhere else I’ve seen has it at $360. Needless to say I bought one wether it ends up on my current bow or a new one who knows. At that price I couldn’t pass it up.

folks over at archerytalk seem to love them

if i was in the market for a new bow, i'd give them a look

lower importance thing, but i think with their shape and various color combos that they are probably the nicest looking bow on the market

i've never shot one, but the vista 33 (with its reported moderate speed/smooth draw) is right in my zone regarding specs

I just took a chance and ordered straight from Athens. If no good I’ll cut my losses and get something else. My CPXL is still a killer but like saddle gear just want something new.

Please let us know.

I happened by Athens Archery HQ a few times this past summer/fall. I didn't know they were a bow manufacturer at the time. Now I'm seeing a lot of hot press over them.

I like that they support Mil/Vet and they're "local", so I've a strong eye on them in case I decide to try a binary cam bow (been happy with my solocam Legacy and Switchback XT...but I've finally run through my arrow/broadhead stock and might have fun building on a newer faster platform).

Bowtech (SR350 and Solition SS) has my interest too, because of the adjustability and I see Bowtech also supports Mil/Vet. Again, I like to back companies that do.

I'll shoot them before ever making a purchase, but you know, like to have an ear to everyone's experiences.

Please let us know.

I happened by Athens Archery HQ a few times this past summer/fall. I didn't know they were a bow manufacturer at the time. Now I'm seeing a lot of hot press over them.

I like that they support Mil/Vet and they're "local", so I've a strong eye on them in case I decide to try a binary cam bow (been happy with my solocam Legacy and Switchback XT...but I've finally run through my arrow/broadhead stock and might have fun building on a newer faster platform).

Bowtech (SR350 and Solition SS) has my interest too, because of the adjustability and I see Bowtech also supports Mil/Vet. Again, I like to back companies that do.

I'll shoot them before ever making a purchase, but you know, like to have an ear to everyone's experiences.

i have the revolt, which is basically the solution ss....it is so easy to pull at 60 lbs that it feels almost like a toy

i have the revolt, which is basically the solution ss....it is so easy to pull at 60 lbs that it feels almost like a toy

Do you shoot it on comfort or performance?

I'm reading up on it, it's definitely in the mix now. Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know if my dealers will have any to shoot though.

I am a longer draw (29.5-30", 6'3") archer, and see your AT comment on the SS string angle being closer to the Revolt, which may be better for me. I was thinking about the Vista in 33" probably.

Do you shoot it on comfort or performance?

I'm reading up on it, it's definitely in the mix now. Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know if my dealers will have any to shoot though.

I am a longer draw (29.5-30", 6'3") archer, and see your AT comment on the SS string angle being closer to the Revolt, which may be better for me. I was thinking about the Vista in 33" probably.

i'll pm you so we don't derail

Back