• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attempting a diy platform

panama

I have a small mig welder and I can make strong (ugly) welds, so I am attempting to make a platform. I am using 1/2" square tube for the platform and 1.5" square for the post. I am playing with the pivot point at the base of the post to get the right angles. I plan to put a bolt to change the angle.
If any experienced DIYers have any pointers let me know.

Attachments

• 5D308084-7248-4F54-BC42-DB4CB1EAF8A4.jpeg
    5D308084-7248-4F54-BC42-DB4CB1EAF8A4.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 312
  • platform.jpg
    platform.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
That looks like it should work. Just jump up and down on it at 1 foot off the ground to test it for strength before taking it aloft.

Since we are coining this the year of safety. I'm calling into question your design.
I see a massive HAZ section on that back brace, as well as nominal material thickness choice at the pivot/hinge.
cooked.jpg
Suspect ticking time bomb

Doesnt look bad. I'd beef up them 2 back squares a little and probably had teeth to it just to help it lock in the tree. Also the tabs for the platform post I'd make out of atleast 7 gauge/ 3/16" steel. Other than that I think you're on the right track! Keep us posted

I wish I had a welder.
I bought this one and tested it on 115V with some bolts and nuts that hold railroad track together. It welded them fine with good penetration. I was surprised it could do it. I don't know how long it might last.

So the platform is really strong. I jumped on it a bunch trying to break it.

The post is not strong. It is 1.5" square very thin, like .065" maybe less. I had it laying around from a project from years ago.

I would like to make the post aluminum and plug the area where the platform pushed on it.

What do you guys use for your post?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 2.03.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 2.03.49 PM.png
    803.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 2.04.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 2.04.04 PM.png
    703.7 KB · Views: 141
Since we are coining this the year of safety. I'm calling into question your design.
I see a massive HAZ section on that back brace, as well as nominal material thickness choice at the pivot/hinge.
View attachment 19122
Suspect ticking time bomb
You are right, I will need to beef that up. I just had some material in the garage so I start sticking it together.
I have a 10 day trip to Maryland Nov 1 and had a predator lined up via private sale and it fell through.

You wouldnt happen to be making a batch for selling purposes?

Not right now, I want to hunt it this year and I've already got some changes to make for version 2 next spring after it gets hunted hard. After hunting it I'll finalize the changes and make another one and if I'm happy with it I've entertained the idea of selling a few. They wouldnt be very economical though, water jet and milling machine time adds up.

Not right now, I want to hunt it this year and I've already got some changes to make for version 2 next spring after it gets hunted hard. After hunting it I'll finalize the changes and make another one and if I'm happy with it I've entertained the idea of selling a few. They wouldn't be very economical though, water jet and milling machine time adds up.

Not to discourage you from selling those, because I like the looks of your initial plan, and I am not entirely sure you would register on his radar, but there is a man in the hunting world who might hit you with a cease and desist letter, possibly threatening legal action for those design and production methods. He's already pushed that issue on another forum member here.

With that said, I would entertain buying one if you do decide to sell one.

Not to discourage you from selling those, because I like the looks of your initial plan, and I am not entirely sure you would register on his radar, but there is a man in the hunting world who might hit you with a cease and desist letter, possibly threatening legal action for those design and production methods. He's already pushed that issue on another forum member here.

With that said, I would entertain buying one if you do decide to sell one.
That's another reason I'm considering not selling, along with the legal problems if someone was to get hurt. I'm not sure who you're talking about, but I have an idea and if it is who I'm thinking of I had actually talked to him before I cut this one and was told to make myself as many as I want for me, but if I'm to sell them we'll have some issues. I was fine with that and it's why I contacted him before I even cut my first one. More than likely I won't sell any, just not worth the hassle.

Back