• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attention to details

fbwguy

Staff member
SH Member
Every year I spend sometime looking, inspecting and checking my bow. I check all of the bolts and attachments for tightness. Check the cams, cables and strings. But this year I seemed to miss a minor but important item. This evening while throwing some arrows down range I got stung! While at full draw the surgical tubing for my peep alignment let go from the cable and popped me in the eye! Needless to say, that shot was not a good one. LOL. Further examination showed the tubing looked fine relaxed, but deteriorated when stretched at draw length.

Just a friendly reminder, pay attention to the little stuff. Sure glad it was during practice and not while drawn on a deer

Every year I spend sometime looking, inspecting and checking my bow. I check all of the bolts and attachments for tightness. Check the cams, cables and strings. But this year I seemed to miss a minor but important item. This evening while throwing some arrows down range I got stung! While at full draw the surgical tubing for my peep alignment let go from the cable and popped me in the eye! Needless to say, that shot was not a good one. LOL. Further examination showed the tubing looked fine relaxed, but deteriorated when stretched at draw length.

Just a friendly reminder, pay attention to the little stuff. Sure glad it was during practice and not while drawn on a deer
Glad you're good bro, it’s easy to over look the little details. Good post and great reminder to inspect our gear .

Better during practice than on a deer though for sure.

Glad you’re alright bud

Spencer

I almost put my eye out as a kid with a wrist rocket sling shot when the band broke. I know what u went through

Ouch! Glad to hear you're ok! That advice goes not only to bows but to arrows as well.

Quite a few years ago I was shooting in my basement at about 13yds, the last flight of arrows I shot I heard that distinctive "click" of arrow on arrow and was sure I had de-nocked one. I walked over pulled them out and didn't notice any obvious visual damage. Fast forward a couple days, it's a nice day I'm going to go shoot outside. Very first shot the carbon arrow blows up on release and breaks about 3" in front of the vanes. The front half of the arrow continues on looping trajectory toward the target but the back half embeds itself 3" into my forearm before it stops the bowstring (the string slap mark was clear up on my bicep) then somehow it slips off the string and flips back over my shoulder landing about 15 behind me. In hindsight I must not have hit the nock but rather the arrow shaft during my previous shooting session and put a small nick in it. It was small enough I didn't notice it.

It took me quite a while to get over the involuntary flinch from that one. Worst part was I was shooting two slightly different length of arrows and when put back together I couldn't tell if the broken arrow was one of the shorter ones or if there was a missing piece of it inside my arm. The ER doctor spent about an hour pulling little pieces of carbon fiber out of my arm but couldn't get it all. To this day I still have a bunch of black specks of carbon fiber surrounding the scar.

Needless to say I rarely shoot "groups" anymore, I typically shoot 4 arrow flights aimed around the outside edges of the 8" ring on the my block.

Just the other day, my son was practicing. He was about to draw back when one of our chickens walked behind the target. He stopped, took his release off the string and threw a rock to scare the chicken away. When he did that, the nock must have came off the string somewhat. He had a whisker biscuit so the arrow was still held in place. He shot and the arrow feel to the ground at his feet and the strings came off the cams. Slapped his arm a little bit nothing serious. Bow was fine, just his string got frayed between the cam and the limb. Lesson learned.

Just to add another story, earlier this yea I was out shooting. I nocked an arrow and something just didn't feel right when I nocked it. It was almost imperceptible and I just ignored it and drew the bow but, at the last second I let down and looked at the nock. One side of it was broken almost completely off. I doubt it would have held if I would have released the arrow. A lesson on the importance of paying attention to the details while we shoot also.

Ouch! Glad to hear you're ok! That advice goes not only to bows but to arrows as well.

Quite a few years ago I was shooting in my basement at about 13yds, the last flight of arrows I shot I heard that distinctive "click" of arrow on arrow and was sure I had de-nocked one. I walked over pulled them out and didn't notice any obvious visual damage. Fast forward a couple days, it's a nice day I'm going to go shoot outside. Very first shot the carbon arrow blows up on release and breaks about 3" in front of the vanes. The front half of the arrow continues on looping trajectory toward the target but the back half embeds itself 3" into my forearm before it stops the bowstring (the string slap mark was clear up on my bicep) then somehow it slips off the string and flips back over my shoulder landing about 15 behind me. In hindsight I must not have hit the nock but rather the arrow shaft during my previous shooting session and put a small nick in it. It was small enough I didn't notice it.

It took me quite a while to get over the involuntary flinch from that one. Worst part was I was shooting two slightly different length of arrows and when put back together I couldn't tell if the broken arrow was one of the shorter ones or if there was a missing piece of it inside my arm. The ER doctor spent about an hour pulling little pieces of carbon fiber out of my arm but couldn't get it all. To this day I still have a bunch of black specks of carbon fiber surrounding the scar.

Needless to say I rarely shoot "groups" anymore, I typically shoot 4 arrow flights aimed around the outside edges of the 8" ring on the my block.
Ouch....I learned a while back to do the old bend test before each shooting session to check for minor splinters/cracks in the shafts...I never heard of anyone’s arrow blowing up on them like yours, but I’m sure that’s why the old man taught me to do that...each year I realize how much smarter he was than I originally gave him credit for :)

Problems with the rubber tubing were what started my journey towards the Peepless Life. The stuff rots fast enough without exposing it to DEET during bow season. Then you go tubeless and deal with twisting. Then you realize deer are big and easy to hit and you take the thing off entirely.

Another Child of the Peepless Life is born.

I’ve e had the same thing happen. It’s also why I carry an extra piece of tubing in my pack while hunting. Have had it broken while carrying in before. Always draw back if I have chance when I’m in tree just to make sure all seems good! I guess I’m still old school! I tried the peep sights that don’t require the surgical tubing but always had an issue at crunch time that it wasn’t turned right!

I had my peep come out of whack on my cheapo pawn shop find Bear pledge...took it off and I be dog darned...the new bow may loose it’s peep too...

Attachments

• E46F8A69-8E9D-444B-BB57-5FE499A03BE1.jpeg
    E46F8A69-8E9D-444B-BB57-5FE499A03BE1.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 22
Drew back on a doe acouple years back and the tubing broke smacking me in the eye causing me to punch the release sending the arrow to who knows where. The tubing didn't seem to be a issue earlier in the day when I was practicing.

Drew back on a doe acouple years back and the tubing broke smacking me in the eye causing me to punch the release sending the arrow to who knows where. The tubing didn't seem to be a issue earlier in the day when I was practicing.
Not cool at all!

Back