• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Awesome hunt but no harvest

wpwoutdoors

I had a really cool hunt today. I’m putting in a picture of where because it will make it much easier to explain IMG_3514.jpg so basically I was set up where the x is if I put the picture in correctly. I was set up there because the landowner had reported seeing bucks( actually saw one while we were over there doing the same thing) and does follow the timber along the creek to get to the cover in the top right of the photo where they were bedding. What’s out of frame on the bottom is a road with a large field on the on the other side where there was corn but it was harvested and I’m not actually sure what the deer do there or if they are feeding somewhere else along there. So I had gotten there in the afternoon maybe 1 and sunset was around 4 or five I’m not sure so on the left side of the picture a tree had fallen and the people were cutting it for fire wood when they must have spooked some bedded deer which then ran over towards my stand(I had just put it up today also). There were maybe 3 or four does and they all ran and kept their tails up. Eventually two of the does branches off and left a group of two near my stand. One deer came very close to shooting range but it turned away for some reason I’m not sure of I thing the other doe was headed away and it didn’t want to be alone. I actually may have had a shot on her but it would’ve been very difficult to orient myself to shoot her on my weak side as I was using a stand and she likely would’ve spotted me stand up to turn as she was looking in my general direction but she didn’t know I was there. So she ran off the be with her buddy away from my stand and around 5 minutes later they showed up about 60 yards away feeding in where we thought they were bedding. They continued to ease towards the creek until they dropped down into it on what must have been a bank as I couldn’t see where they went. They quickly came back up and eased their way in my direction along the creek bank which was almost like an ag erosion ditch. They continued until they reached a thicket that started ten yards away from me and the entered it and lied down at only 15 yards. It was really cool to have these 2 does bedded so close to me as I had zero idea they were bedding so close to where I had put my stand the wind then shifted so it was blowing right at them and by the grace of god they didn’t wind me and continued to rest there and stayed for almost and hour probably more. They eventually got up and slowly eased their way away from me until I lost sight of them. Then I saw them again where I had for Syes spotted them feeding and they just slowly fed their way back towards where they came from without ever blowing or seeming to even have any idea I was there. I’ll be hunting there tomorrow evening and hopefully this time a doe will step out or a buck will come cruising because even if I did spook the does which I’m ninety nine percent sure of then the buck never showed up from a completely opposite direction so he shouldn’t be disrupted and if some how the buck a quarter mile away winded me on a fluke gust then the does weren’t disturbed. I am hoping that tomorrow I will be able to harvest one with the compound. Thanks for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back