• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Axis deer from a saddle?

AKMonkey

In a few weeks I will be headed to Lanai, Hawaii, where I will be hunting the archery-only private lands of the big land-holding company on the island. This will be DIY, unguided. I've never hunted axis deer before, but have taken many species of big game with my bow over the years.

Anyone here have experience with free-range axis deer? Any place for a tree saddle in my strategy? I understand that they are quite wary and difficult to hunt, as they are pursued on Lanai 365 days per year and know all about the dangers of humans. It looks like most are taken by spot and stalk (outside of Texas, where stands over feeders are common).

I don't think that I can expect active rutting in late December, as I'm told that most of the big bucks will have shed their antlers by then. I'm not sure if they follow daily patterns of hiding in the thick stuff during the day and coming out at night, because most of the videos I've seen show hunters stalking them as they feed in semi-open habitat during the day. Any thoughts on what to look for and things to try are welcome.

I lived on Hawaii and axis on Lanai often. Taking a saddle couldn't hurt, always good to have another tool as you learn the lay of the land. This time of year is the "dry" season, I found it much easier to spot and stalk them. Up high on the mountain there's a ton of forrest type cover. Moving down the mountain the trees turn to mostly mesquite trees, with a lot of sage type brush around. The steep valleys will hold deer but the flats between them are the best to find them consistently. I've killed many a nice big bucks this type of year, as well as two nice velvet bucks. Breeding can occur at any point in the year with axis. PM me if you want some pointers on there areas I hunted! Otherwise good luck, and enjoy this truly unique experience and challenging hunt!

It varies, they are very similar to other deer species. Relatively crepuscular, they will herd up. If the island is in a drought, if you find any green areas or water your in business. I found the north side of the island much easier to hunt but I've also killed some near the airport as well, but those tall grasses on the south side just hide em to easily. Got busted more often then not.

Back