• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Back ups you carry with you

Kuk09

SH Member
First, I did search for answers on this, but I may not have gone either far enough back or looked for the right criteria. If there are already threads on this, I will be happy to read them without having to burden down the forum with the same questions over and over.

I am curious as to what everyone carries with them as far as backup and redundancy parts. For instance, do you carry extra carabiners or prusik loops when you head into the woods? I saw that some people carry extra tethers and do a double tie in that way, so obviously they carry extra rope, but does anyone carry an extra tether just in case or for other reasons and not actually use it? Anything else that you guys carry in with you all the time just as a backup?

I carry an extra tether with a foot loop. In case a stick kicks out, I can use it in conjunction with my regular tether to slowly descend down the tree.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A single soft shackle shoved in your pocket or run through an empty molle loop levies no weight or noise penalty. And if you ever find yourself in a pickle needing an extra carabiner to get out... just like Mariah Carey, it'll be there.

My pull up rope carabiner is a climb rated wire gate.

I have a figure 8 sewn into my hunting vest on a loop of paracord so I cant drop it. If my GriGri locks up or gets ****ed up some other way I can rip those two stitches and get down the rope that way.

I have a prussic loop in a pocket in the bottom of my dump bag.

I also carry a whistle and my phone and my wife has access to my google location service. I also carry a compass and ensure I know what way is "out"

I obviously carry a knife, so if I get hung up on something I got that going for me.

I really dont want to get stuck up a tree or stuck out in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good ideas, thanks. Long story short, I'm still trying to get used to southern/eastern hunting. I spent most of my time out west, and carried enough stuff that if I ended up stuck overnight or longer, I was ok. That's not necessarily the case here, and I'm trying to cover bases, but also not have things I don't REALLY need. This is my first year in the saddle, and I'm trying to make sure I'm not being crazy about stuff. I've got an extra carabiner or two, and a prusik loop. The way I figure, if I carry an extra tether, I better be tied in twice...otherwise what's the point - if it fails, I'll be on the ground before I could use the other one. I carry some extra stuff in my pack, but even that I'm trying to cut back as well. Just trying to be light weight, but not cut essentials.

I always have an extra release because I use a four finger release with a paracord sling and if I drop it and don’t feel like climbing down I’m all good

I carry a 2- and a 4-foot dyneema runner, an ATC, an autoblock, a piece of prusic cord and 2 spare carabiners.

Last year I carried a nylon sling, extra beaner and a shot of 550 cord. This year I added rope climbing so that added another beaner, prussic loop and an ATC.

Toilet paper

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That’s what a knife and tall socks are for.

I carry 2 headlamps on one band. And a flashlight in my pocket.
I carry external USB charger for my iPhone (which acts as GPS). Also a bubble compass as backup to iPhone.

WRT climbing, I have two rope setups with 2 biners each and prusik and 5” loop. They can act as either LB or tether. If I get stuck, the one I am not currently using, I can make a tether and foot loop around tree to inch down with both.

Definitely not minimalist, but it works for me.

I carry 2 headlamps on one band. And a flashlight in my pocket.
I carry external USB charger for my iPhone (which acts as GPS). Also a bubble compass as backup to iPhone.

WRT climbing, I have two rope setups with 2 biners each and prusik and 5” loop. They can act as either LB or tether. If I get stuck, the one I am not currently using, I can make a tether and foot loop around tree to inch down with both.

You higher than balls on a giraffe. Im not hacking up a 19$ pair of socks to clean with lol ill grab a dry leaf first

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2 headlamps on one band is a slick idea. I carry two headlamps, and my battery bank for my phone also has some surprisingly bright LEDs on it. I also always have 2, and sometimes 3 compasses. I am way more scared of getting lost or just not being able to find the boat I need to get back home than I am of needing a new carabiner or a second rope.

emoji23.png

:oops: What do you consider minimalist? Lol

I carry an Amsteel ultra light climber I made following [mention]always89y [/mention] design for my backup if I drop my one stick. That way there’s no going down until I’m done hunting.

If for any reason my safeguard would lock up or not rappel I would use the rope alone to descend. This is the method I’ve used to do this in the past in a tactical/emergency rappel situation.

Sent from parts unknown

Back