• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backstrap - oven or stove top

My preferred backstrap method is pan fried in avocado oil. Depending on how thick it is, I fry each side 1.5-2 minutes then rest for 6 minutes. This has always giving me a medium/medium rare cook.

Edit: However, those pics look like pork, not venison. In that case, cook in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes per pound.

My preferred backstrap method is pan fried in avocado oil. Depending on how thick it is, I fry each side 1.5-2 minutes then rest for 6 minutes. This has always giving me a medium/medium rare cook.
Right on. How high on the heat? Mediumish? Full blast?

I edited my first post as your backstraps look like pork, not venison. For pan frying venison, I'll go medium high to heat up the oil with the oil about 1/3" deep. Once at temp, I turn the heat down just enough to keep a steady fry. I also use cast iron which helps control the heat.

It's super light colored like pork and had me a bit confused. For venison backstraps, I like to butterfly the cuts about 1 1/2" thick or more and use grape seed oil. If you have a cast iron skillet heat just until smoke point reduce heat a bit below the smoke point and toss on the steaks 3 minutes a side or a bit less for medium (experiment on 1 to get a good idea of timing). Depending on what oil you use it's smoke point will give you a good idea of pan temp without using a thermometer and give a good sear.
There's a delicious marinade for finicky eaters on the NY Times website https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016955-marinated-venison-steaks

Get a cast iron skillet hot, sear ALL sides, then place the skillet and backstrap in the oven at 325-350deg until it reaches your desired doneness (or just shy of your desired doneness) then let rest for 10-15 min. before slicing. The internal temp will continue to rise a few degrees while it rests.

For a real treat slice the backstrap into a thin sheet by rolling it out as you cut it and then cover it in cream cheese and jalapenos before wrapping it all back up and cooking with the above method.

We'll be consuming this beautiful venison backstrap tonight. Unfortunately, the grill is a no go because it's raining. Need instructions on cooking this backstrap either in the oven or on the stove top please!
View attachment 56814
@Bama_Xander
In a black skillet, Medium High Heat in butter and some olive oil, covered. Have your index finger touch your thumb, and then middle finger to thumb, boom , the muscle at the base of your thumb is the ideal feeling of the finished meat in the skillet. About 3 to 6 mutes per side, and let it rest for 5 to 8 minutes before cutting.

Enjoy

I like to cut into about 3/4" wide strips and blacken in hot cast iron skillet. Could also do larger pieces just need to keep the cuts under an inch thick unless you like it raw in the middle, which I do, but others may not. :)

We'll be consuming this beautiful backstrap tonight. Unfortunately, the grill is a no go because it's raining. Need instructions on cooking this backstrap either in the oven or on the stove top please!
View attachment 56814
@Bama_Xander
Thanks for reaching out. Glad to help.

I would say pan-sear it. I like to cook loins in sections like this pan-seared and then slice across the grain. You get a much juicier, even cooked piece of meat cooking it as a loin than cutting it into steaks.

Also, is that silver skin still on there? If it is, you will want to trim it off. One of the best parts of a pan sear method is the crust. The silver skin is inedible and will take up about a third of your exterior preventing a delicious crust in those areas.

So when you go to cook it. If you have a cast-iron skillet, use it. If you don't have cast iron, a steel or aluminum skillet will work. Do not use non-stick. You will not get the crust in a non-stick like these other skillets. Get the skillet hot. Put in an oil that can take high temps (I use Grapeseed oil, but there are others like avocado oil). Pat your meat dry to ensure a great crust. When the oil shimmers, lay the loins in and give them a bit of pressure with your fingertips ensuring good meat to skillet contact and crust development. When the meat releases from the skillet, flip. Depending on how high your heat is, it can be anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Keep flipping and rolling until a crust has developed all around the loin. Lower the heat. Add butter (a decent amount) for basting. Also, add flavoring herbs. I like to use smashed garlic cloves, rosemary and thyme. Do not burn the butter, keep it low heat. If using a glass top stove I'll often use a different burner because the original one can keep its heat too long from where the burner had been on high. Baste the meat and flip the loins until you reach your desired doneness. I like Med-rare. Pull loins from the skillet to a plate. Let the meat rest 4-7 minutes. Slice across the grain and enjoy.

Here is a post with some pics:

Here is a video of someone else doing it with a steak but it functions just the same:

Back