• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backup climbing method when you need just a few more feet?

Kennyduhshark

Hey gang,

I was wondering what solutions people have come up with for when you max out your height on whatever your main climbing method is, but still need a few more feet?

I’m trying to find the perfect balance of packing in the right amount of sticks + caught aider to get me to hunting height 95% of the time, but feel every once in a while I’ll get to the top and still need 2-5 more feet.

I’ve read that @DaveT1963 will just one stick method if that happens to him, which seems like a great solution, but I’m not totally sure if it’s for me.

What else are folks doing? Add a couple WE steps to your bag just in case? Or a couple screw in or strap on steps? One of the main requirements for this backup would be lightweight and packable.

Wondering if there is any other options I’m not thinking of.

Thanks y’all!

I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out where I'd be in one of those scenarios. Not a clear shooting lane? Move down or go to a different tree. Silhouetted? Move down or different tree. Wind blowing scent around? Move to a different tree. I've sat on pretty bare trees looking like a raisin on a toothpick and as long as I stay still the deer don't seem to care.
A lightweight option for a few extra feet is an aider on your climbing method/platform.
It's not about the height you can get climbing up the tree, it's about the way you use the height you have...

Last edited:
What platform are you using? If it's not attached to your stick. Set your platform. Move the stick up a little higher. It's kinda like one sticking.
Or add an aider to your platform. Someone had a aider they added to there mission. What are you using for a set up?

I one-stick so of course that’s going to be the simple answer, but I’ve seen some people mention carrying a couple of the Silent Approach steps and straps for that occasion that they just need a few more feet. If you stretched those you could easily get 3-4 more feet of height with very minimal bulk and weight.

What platform are you using? If it's not attached to your stick. Set your platform. Move the stick up a little higher. It's kinda like one sticking.
Or add an aider to your platform. Someone had a aider they added to there mission. What are you using for a set up?

I have the Predator Platform. And my plan was to go with 3 modified Hawk Heliums at roughly 24" and a CAYG aider, which would put me at roughly 6' per stick. So I should easily be able to get to 18'-20' with another step up onto the platform.

I didn't actually know folks were using aiders on their platform, but that seems like it could be a decent route. Do you think that could would with a CAYG aider?

I have the Predator Platform. And my plan was to go with 3 modified Hawk Heliums at roughly 24" and a CAYG aider, which would put me at roughly 6' per stick. So I should easily be able to get to 18'-20' with another step up onto the platform.

I didn't actually know folks were using aiders on their platform, but that seems like it could be a decent route. Do you think that could would with a CAYG aider?

Add 12” to ur aider and then ur averaging 7’ per stick

Ul be 3 ft higher before u hang platform

Or maybe keep 1 of DanO’s squirrel steps in ur pack just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey gang,

I was wondering what solutions people have come up with for when you max out your height on whatever your main climbing method is, but still need a few more feet?

I’m trying to find the perfect balance of packing in the right amount of sticks + caught aider to get me to hunting height 95% of the time, but feel every once in a while I’ll get to the top and still need 2-5 more feet.

I’ve read that @DaveT1963 will just one stick method if that happens to him, which seems like a great solution, but I’m not totally sure if it’s for me.

What else are folks doing? Add a couple WE steps to your bag just in case? Or a couple screw in or strap on steps? One of the main requirements for this backup would be lightweight and packable.

Thanks y’all!

When I climbed with sticks, I would add 4 strap on steps and put those on at the base of the tree as high as I could reach, giving me 8 feet. I now do all climbing with strap on steps, so it is a moot point.

Assuming screw-ins are legal where you hunt, that option is awfully tough to beat. I keep 3 in the bottom of my pack, which gets me up an extra 3-5 feet. Pro tip: If you don't want to damage your gloves or tear up your hands (we can't all be rock climbers or lumberjacks with callouses half an inch thick), throw in a 4" long section of 3/4 or 1" PVC pipe to slide over the step once you have it started and want to really start cranking it in--it's compact and lightweight, and it makes a world of difference when screwing into hard-wooded trees especially.

Hey gang,

Thanks y’all!
I live in wi and hunt public land. I am blessed to be able to hunt using arborist spurs. Spurs are legal on almost all public land up here. What is specifically out lawed in the hunting regs is anything that screws into a tree. Screw in steps, screw in bow/gun holder etc. With spurs of course go up 1) until the tree is to small or 2) until your Doyle's hoist is out of cord. So I don't have a go higher plan B.

4 18" sticks and a knaider. If I need more I have a swaider I can reposition top two stick and use that. I rarely need more than 18ft because I like cover or select a bigger tree and use it as cover. Shawn

I'd probably throw in something like a couple squirrel steps or the silent approach steps.

Back