• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bad Weather and the Rut

neonomad

SH Member
I like cold weather, I like snow. But after a front comes through and drops some snow tonight, tomorrow in central OH looks like low 20s and 15-20 mph winds. Not sure I’ve ever archery hunted in that... does that kind of weather keep deer moving? Would you hunt that, or use the vacation day later in the week when things calm down and we’re back into the mid 30s?

I like cold weather, I like snow. But after a front comes through and drops some snow tonight, tomorrow in central OH looks like low 20s and 15-20 mph winds. Not sure I’ve ever archery hunted in that... does that kind of weather keep deer moving? Would you hunt that, or use the vacation day later in the week when things calm down and we’re back into the mid 30s?
Yes it does, just shot my Iowa buck last Thursday with 17° weather and snow...this is the week bucks will be trail checking the first does coming into estrus. Find a hot doe and your going to have action
GOOD LUCK

Only real concern (assuming you have appropriate gear) is making sure that you're in a situation that you can execute the shot. And in higher winds safety (i.e. tree won't break).

Decided to delay the hunt til Thursday, less chance of freezing my hands and maybe some of the locked up bucks will start to cruise a little more.

Decided to delay the hunt til Thursday, less chance of freezing my hands and maybe some of the locked up bucks will start to cruise a little more.

Deer were on their feet Saturday (snow, 20*, 20-30mph winds) and sunday (2* when we got out the truck). I shot my buck Saturday evening responded to grunt call, came out of bedding checking trails on his way to see who was grunting.

Oh yeh, 50 trucks at the property we hunted on Friday. 2 on Saturday in the snow. One was us...

Deer are not people. They tolerate that crappy weather a whole lot better than us. And when you can have sex for two weeks out of the year, well, nuff said...

Oh yeh, 50 trucks at the property we hunted on Friday. 2 on Saturday in the snow. One was us...

Deer are not people. They tolerate that crappy weather a whole lot better than us. And when you can have sex for two weeks out of the year, well, nuff said...

Today I sat for awhile with a thin foam pad between me and the seat, and then without the thin foam pad for comparison. In cold weather I’m definitely using the thin foam pad, makes the JX3 way warmer.

Back