• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Badlands Apparel? Good or Bad?

reddturtle

I'm looking to get some new hunting apparel. I am having difficulty choosing what to get. I am looking at the Badlands Calor collection. Does anyone have their stuff? How do you like it?
Is their warranty really that good?

I can't find a good review.

I've wondered the same thing.
My impression (not from experience, mind you) is that Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite are in the top tier of hunting apparel, but are prohibitively expensive for many folks. I'd say the next tier includes brands like Badlands, Nomad, and Drake; they're solid quality but pretty pricey, but they seem to pop up with pretty good sales somewhat regularly. The third tier includes RedHead and other similar "cheap" brands. I have a really hard time evaluating the brands within each tier against each other, including Badlands.

I've been eyeing some Badlands stuff for a while now, but I have heard a lot of mixed reviews. Some people seem to love it and others, not so much. I think I'll wait and order some of their stuff to try for myself when they run one of the 50% off sales.

I’m one of the big fans. I’ve been eying the calor set too. I have a pack and a few clothing pieces. I’m waiting for the 50% off to to deck out my early and late set ups though badlands. Trying to do more of a layering set up this year.

Ive been running Badlands gear since 2009. I can tell you one thing all their products are well made and take a beating. The merino base layers are warm and fir true to size.

The packs are fantastic, my favorite is the “Point” which is no longer made, the monster fanny is a great design and perfect for a run and gun hunter.

Great cammo pattern. Ive beat the hell out of them and washed a million times. Great investment and on par with the top “popular” brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been eyeing some Badlands stuff for a while now, but I have heard a lot of mixed reviews. Some people seem to love it and others, not so much. I think I'll wait and order some of their stuff to try for myself when they run one of the 50% off sales.
Are you looking at camo fire for the 50% off? or like black Friday sales?

Ive been running Badlands gear since 2009. I can tell you one thing all their products are well made and take a beating. The merino base layers are warm and fir true to size.

The packs are fantastic, my favorite is the “Point” which is no longer made, the monster fanny is a great design and perfect for a run and gun hunter.

Great cammo pattern. Ive beat the hell out of them and washed a million times. Great investment and on par with the top “popular” brands.

Thank you for everyone's input.

I see you're a NY hunter, so am I! How do their clothes hold up against Multiflora rose and the Briers (they ripped my last set of camo)? Is badlands Quiet in the cold (i have seen some reviews say it makes more noise than usual?) I assume you use Approach FX because we have a lot of hardwoods.

what products do you use other than the base layer and the pack? I look at the Calor or the Pyre (I think it may be too hot for me, I don't do all day sits very often at all) then venture jackets looks good too...

I just want something that will keep me dry, stop the wind, and hold up through the thorns because I have a lot where I hunt. I can layer under to keep warm. I also bow hunt a ton so I need the mobility and quiet fabric.

p.s.
If I can find something I like for deer, I may get some of their products for turkey hunting, most of the stuff I have is very faded.

Are you looking at camo fire for the 50% off? or like black Friday sales?

I usually check Camo fire for deals frequently, but they supposedly release a 50% off code at some point in the year. I think the last one was released in December.

I’ve been using Badlands for about 4 years now and it’s been hit and miss with their stuff.

I used the full Calor set for a season and half then ended up selling them to another user here in SH. Personally I found the Calor set too restricting and noisy. There wasn’t any flex/stretch to the material. Also I found they didn’t keep me as warm as I thought they would. Even with a base layer on they couldn’t keep me warm in 50 degree weather here in WI. I ended up getting the Rise set for mid season and the Pyre for late. So far been very happy with the set up. The rise is pretty much just a fleece layer so it’s super quite. I also have the BL rain gear for mid season as the Rise isn’t water proof. I tried the BL merino set but found the Calor base layer set to be much warmer.

Edit: correction I have the Prime set not Rise for mid season.

Last edited:
I’ve been using Badlands for about 4 years now and it’s been hit and miss with their stuff.

I used the full Calor set for a season and half then ended up selling them to another user here in SH. Personally I found the Calor set too restricting and noisy. There wasn’t any flex/stretch to the material. Also I found they didn’t keep me as warm as I thought they would. Even with a base layer on they couldn’t keep me warm in 50 degree weather here in WI. I ended up getting the Rise set for mid season and the Pyre for late. So far been very happy with the set up. The rise is pretty much just a fleece layer so it’s super quite. I also have the BL rain gear for mid season as the Rise isn’t water proof. I tried the BL merino set but found the Calor base layer set to be much warmer.

Thanks for the info It’s almost too hard to decide which set without seeing them in person.

Thanks for the info It’s almost too hard to decide which set without seeing them in person.

If I were you I would get both and see which one you like more then return the other. I’ve done this a couple times when they are having their half off sale. Reason being is they usually send a return label with each order. Really the only way to see first had as I don’t know of any retailers that carry the full line of BL gear.

Everything holds up very well. I messaged you with my cell number so feel free to call or txt me and we can discuss. I have the following Badlands gear:

1. Point backpack (no longer made) best pack ever made
2. Monster Fanny pack
3. Algus Pants and coat
4. Ovis Merino sweater
5. Ovis leggings and shirt
6. Mutton leggings and shirt
7. Calor pants and 1/4 zip
8. high unitas vest
9. Momentum Pants and Jacket (no longer made)
10. Calor leggings and top
11. Lightweight pants and coat semi waterproof (forget the name)
12. Furnace Bibs (no longer made) my go to North East sit all day bibs in 0-20 degree weather.
13. Baseball Hats (best hats Ive ever had)
14. Tshirts (fit perfect great feel)

most of these items are 5 plus years old some around 8-10 all work perfect. Only things that I have fixed are a broken buckle on the monster fanny (my fault) and had to sew up a hole in my momentum pant because after 10 years of deer and rabbit hunting the brias finally tore a small hole

Thank you for everyone's input.

I see you're a NY hunter, so am I! How do their clothes hold up against Multiflora rose and the Briers (they ripped my last set of camo)? Is badlands Quiet in the cold (i have seen some reviews say it makes more noise than usual?) I assume you use Approach FX because we have a lot of hardwoods.

what products do you use other than the base layer and the pack? I look at the Calor or the Pyre (I think it may be too hot for me, I don't do all day sits very often at all) then venture jackets looks good too...

I just want something that will keep me dry, stop the wind, and hold up through the thorns because I have a lot where I hunt. I can layer under to keep warm. I also bow hunt a ton so I need the mobility and quiet fabric.

p.s.
If I can find something I like for deer, I may get some of their products for turkey hunting, most of the stuff I have is very faded.

Anyone have the Ascend set? I’m thinking about trying it for mid season, but I’m worried it may be a little too warm.

Anyone have the Ascend set? I’m thinking about trying it for mid season, but I’m worried it may be a little too warm.

I’ve been looking at the ascend and rise myself. Any reviews? Im hunting in the northeast, NY to be specific.

I’ve been looking at the ascend and rise myself. Any reviews? Im hunting in the northeast, NY to be specific.

I ended up ordering the Ascend, Stealth hoodie, and the Ovis top and bottom. I really like all of it.
The Ascend stuff is not super heavyweight, but from the reviews I read I kind of expected that. I’ll probably wear it in the 40-50ish range. I will say that the pants are pretty tight through the thighs, and it seems just seems to be the cut of the pants. If I went up a size, the waist would be too big. They do have a lot of flex in them, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Jacket and base layers fit true to size. Overall, The pieces are great for my needs here in VA. I’d say get it while it’s half off to at least see if you like it!

If NE NY gets as cold as WI does, you'll want more than just the Ascend or Rise set to get you by. I personally layer the Prime set with Calor baselayers and Pyre outer layer for the really cold days. Either way, all the Badlands gear is meant to be layered to some degree so keep that in mind when looking to pick up a set. I will say the Prime set (all fleece) is super comfy and quite. Its like walking to your hunting spot wearing PJs they are so comfy.

Anyone use ozone on Badland products? Also is it super bulky stuff? I hate being in the woods feeling like I am the Michelin man

Back