• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Balloons

ThumbsMcGee

Dan Infalt on the FB Hunting Beast page mentioned balloons he’d found in his hunting areas. He has a theory about wind currents & thermals as far as how they ended up there.

Today during my scouting, among a couple of rubs, two scrapes, and a lotta poop, I found 3 balloons.

Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f574353cfde5b1c6c44d9a2c122150e9.jpg

No balloons for me, but I am constantly recovering white parachutes with the remains of illumination flares. My property backs up to a US Army NG training post. I get frustrated because they get hung in trees, and I’m sure that a 3 foot white flag waving around spooks any animal that sees it. I’ve gotten 10 of them over the last few months, 6 of them were in trees. Frustrated but no solution but keep climbing and recovering them

I went out to do some shed hunting today and i found some. Not in a bedding area but there are several large scrapes in the area. It definitely makes ya think.
dea34d6a8bfba955227c3986a766cff4.jpg

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Lol...I got into a conversation about buck bedding over the last few days...I find them all of the time ,infact today 2. Guess what, right where I said buck bed. Go figure.
It drives me nuts!,especially those damn Chinese lanterns with the wire rims. Regu!ar balloons with ribbons that kill birds here.

Same for me. I find them all the time when I get into a good bedding area. Never put the two together but it makes perfect sense!

I find the balloons all over the place in the timber. Sometimes close to bedding and sometimes not. In middle TN the terrain is relatively flat and may influence the decent of the balloon in a different way than up north but it is definitely an acute observation non the less

There was one about 20yds from the tree I killed my buck out of this year, though I don't believe theres any correlation in it.

I found rubs and balloons in a weird spot yesterday. Not sure if bucks were bedding here or just staging. It was really close to a road and there wasn’t much along the line of bedding or escape cover. There were some bushes that could have definitely given a room with a view. It left me a little perplexed. If I had only found one rub it wouldn’t bother me but to find 10+ in a 50 yard circle where it just seems they shouldn’t be was weird.
161704F3-D683-4604-B091-8CB137210F13.jpeg94800858-FFE6-4BEE-99D9-3A2883086235.jpeg

I say all the time ,trying to get anywhere on our land undetected is impossible. We have 1300 ft of road frontage on one side 350 on the other ,then 411 on a different road. I Walk down the drive to road and spook deer . I walk down the road and spook deer. They bed along the culvert ditches. Most rubs are in these areas. Which really sucks ,becuase it's a neon sign to poachers. Caught one idiot standing in the bed of pickup with his bow drawing down on one of our goats. Boy were they surprised when I ran them down in the big Dodge . B!ocked the drivers door and verbally tore into them. Then followed them around for nearly 2 hours.
Anyways deer bed along the roads here a lot for some reason..maybe warmth?

I find a lot of balloons also and pack them out with all the other garbage I find. It was an interesting observation I spent a lot of time thinking about, but right now I don't think I can draw correlation to bedding terrain. Something I'll pay attention to in the future.

It just so happens, I was scouting some public in N Missouri on Sunday. Look what happened to be laying in a well worn deer bed.IMG_20190317_122108.jpg

I was out shed hunting this past week and found a balloon at the top of a draw. Sure enough, found a good sized bed not 20 yards uphill from the balloon. Pretty cool!

I scouted yesterday covering about 6 miles of big woods mountain county. I found 4 balloons. The first was in a good bedding area. I then found a stand with a pitted out area where a salt block was, 20 yards away (both illegal, and reported). The other 3 balloons were in no-mans land. I'm not sold on this concept but I do find a heck of a lot of old balloons in the woods. Usually I pack them out but yesterday I was travelling light.

Personally, my best bedding area is right by an old refridgerator. Seriously, no idea how or when or why the dang thing made it out there. Too high and dry for floodwaters to be responsible, no sign of an old camp anywhere, and it's a LONG way to even the nearest old skidder trail.

Personally, my best bedding area is right by an old refridgerator. Seriously, no idea how or when or why the dang thing made it out there. Too high and dry for floodwaters to be responsible, no sign of an old camp anywhere, and it's a LONG way to even the nearest old skidder trail.
Have you checked it for silver bullets? I've seen videos where those things pop up through rocky mountains and start a party. Tap the rockies!

Back