• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bar none best method

Birddog

So I'm interested in some opinions. For background, I have lone wolf sticks, preset bolts, cranford screw ins. What I'm wanting is the skinny on what yall have found to be the best combination of quick, compact, light, and easy, to get up a tree as high as 30'. This is a big piece of property, and I want to run and gun it till I figure out where I want my presets. I'm open to all methods. My inkling is that spurs will be the way to go, but I'm curious what you boys think. I've never used spurs, but I'm willing to go with them if they're the ticket.
Thanks.

I'll tell you it's not the fastest, but I have tried squirrel steps, wild edge steps, srt, drt, and single hawk helium with a loop of webbing hanging off the bottom. For the distance I usually hike in and out, I love single stick up, get 6 or so feet each time, and I bring a 25' rope with a figure 8 on a bite in one end and a black diamond figure 8. So when I am done hunting, i just repel down the tree. It's simple, light, and I am never opposed to moving my setup as it doesnt take much time at all.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Spurs up, rappel down. However, I have not done the Rappel down part yet. Waiting on my rope to arrive tomorrow. So far I have been Spurs up and down, which is not bad but I expect Rappeling down will be faster.

"the best combination of quick, compact, light, and easy, to get up a tree as high as 30'." I would say spurs if it's private land if not then one stickin...

So I'm interested in some opinions. For background, I have lone wolf sticks, preset bolts, cranford screw ins. What I'm wanting is the skinny on what yall have found to be the best combination of quick, compact, light, and easy, to get up a tree as high as 30'. This is a big piece of property, and I want to run and gun it till I figure out where I want my presets. I'm open to all methods. My inkling is that spurs will be the way to go, but I'm curious what you boys think. I've never used spurs, but I'm willing to go with them if they're the ticket.
Thanks.
There is no one winner, only preferences. Some people LOVE spurs. Others feel like they're awkward to carry, and don't love the risk of a gaff-out experience. A lot of us LOVE bolts or carbon bolts, but others either can't penetrate trees, or feel like alternatives get them up the tree more quickly. Strap-on individual steps (like squirrels) pack great and can be pretty quick going up, but you're packing more stuff on the way down.

Lone wolf hand climber top. It’s small light and works great. Branches can be a pain. We have tons of pines here so easy to find a tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Spurs up, rappel down. However, I have not done the Rappel down part yet. Waiting on my rope to arrive tomorrow. So far I have been Spurs up and down, which is not bad but I expect Rappeling down will be faster.

If you count setup time and rope retrieval I think spurs win unless you have to pass a ton of limbs.

I'll tell you it's not the fastest, but I have tried squirrel steps, wild edge steps, srt, drt, and single hawk helium with a loop of webbing hanging off the bottom. For the distance I usually hike in and out, I love single stick up, get 6 or so feet each time, and I bring a 25' rope with a figure 8 on a bite in one end and a black diamond figure 8. So when I am done hunting, i just repel down the tree. It's simple, light, and I am never opposed to moving my setup as it doesnt take much time at all.

This is my go to “legal” setup. The rappel is key.

Can the repel down work on a tree with no limbs or splits?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can the repel down work on a tree with no limbs or splits?

Absolutely. You cab tether to a straight tree right? When it's time to come down, just clip a strong carabiner, with paracord tied to it, to your eye splice or figure 8 on a bite, and once you hit the ground, unhook and give your paracord a good tug or two and itll slip loose down the tree.

If you count setup time and rope retrieval I think spurs win unless you have to pass a ton of limbs.
Possible, I am also saving time not having to put my spurs back on for the climb down and then off and pack. They will be packed when I lower my backpack. Not sure what will prevail. Like you said, I put rappeling on the back burner until I climbed a tree the other day with 4 limbs to get past. We shall see.

Absolutely. You cab tether to a straight tree right? When it's time to come down, just clip a strong carabiner, with paracord tied to it, to your eye splice or figure 8 on a bite, and once you hit the ground, unhook and give your paracord a good tug or two and itll slip loose down the tree.

I think I am following you on this. Would you happen to have a picture of the setup? I would love to be rappelling out of the trees rather than climbing down. Seems like it would make things faster to get everything out of the tree.

I think I am following you on this. Would you happen to have a picture of the setup? I would love to be rappelling out of the trees rather than climbing down. Seems like it would make things faster to get everything out of the tree.

I'll take a pic friday. It's way faster than single sticking down.

Back