• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Base layer which one

I have both and prefer the ECWCS. Also have one of their heavy weight fleece that is super warm. They no longer make it though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Any of the above as long as you wear it over Wiggy's Fishnet Underwear.

Any of the above as long as you wear it over Wiggy's Fishnet Underwear.

The concept is sound, but seems like it would not be comfortable against the skin. I have worn a Bugtamer jacket in the past with no shirt and I hated the feeling. It has a similar mesh, so I hesitate on this stuff.

The concept is sound, but seems like it would not be comfortable against the skin. I have worn a Bugtamer jacket in the past with no shirt and I hated the feeling. It has a similar mesh, so I hesitate on this stuff.
It's not as comfortable as a nice flannel shirt but I surely don't find it uncomfortable either. I wore fishnets on every hunt last year from hunts near 90 degrees to single digits. In the hot temps, I don't think it did much except keep my outer layer off of my skin so the skeeters couldn't get me.
This year I wore my Bug Tamer on the first hunt, expecting a high level of skeeters, but wore fishnet every other time so far this year. I like the idea of my perspiration evaporating instead of being held in my base layers.
If anyone is interested in buying Wiggy's fishnets, I'd suggest you call Jerry to get the sizing right.

Question, ECWCS, if in between sizes, think you want a nice snug fit for first layer against skin, can you wash in hot water and dry hot to shrink a little?
Will it change the insulating quality?

Yes you want it snug like those long john. The material will shrink but not by alot and insulating properties will be the same. I have the polar weight ECWCS and they are not the best base layer. Get merino wool for cold whether.

I have both and prefer the ECWCS. Also have one of their heavy weight fleece that is super warm. They no longer make it though.

Are you talking the Cabelas furry green fleece? I bought that top a year or two ago and it’s gotta be the warmest item I have pound for pound.

Are you talking the Cabelas furry green fleece? I bought that top a year or two ago and it’s gotta be the warmest item I have pound for pound.
Yes, mine is about 15 years old. I hardly wear it because it is so warm. I have 2 sets of tops and bottoms.

Ok so I ended up getting ECWCS, got them 25% off, size large. Have not washed them yet so can still return. Tried them on, not so sure on the large. You all wear them snug or just short of tight? These are maybe snug, in some areas, but some spots not even close. I know these are the heavy weight, and ideally not maybe a base layer, but even if I had size medium light under them, still not sure, ugh. Guess my question better overly snug, they do stretch, then not?

Who makes wool pants the thickness of our socks I've been looking for a pair for my fishing waiters for ever now?

When back to Cabelas to exchange my large's for medium's, none left in stock, got cash back. Back in the market. Maybe wait to end of Nov. at this point and see if First Lite or others have a sale like someone suggested usually happens.

Back