• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beal Jammy on Oplux and best tender

GetHomeSafe

A couple of quick questions. Does a Beal Jammy Prusik slide well on Oplux, after it is set-in by being weighted? What is the best prusik or friction hitch tender, best being the one that allows a set-in friction hitch to slide the easiest, homemade or commercial? Any fine tuning tips on friction knot tender set-up for best results? Thanks in advance all.

Prusiks tend to set tightly once weighted. Using a tender can help greatly. Any solid ring attached in any number of manners all work similar. Lots of people prefer a michoacan, distal, or vt hitch. It seems to be in that order too. A michoacan can be rigged up above a (ATC like device) with a tender above the hitch.

I have used 6mm TRC with a mini 8 as a tender on oplux for 2 seasons. I like it much better than the jammy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i owned a jammy, and had an issue with the core coming out of the sheath. I went with TRC and was much happier. I would suggest going with TRC. it bites great on oplux, and releases well depending on which friction hitch you go with.

Does TRC release better on Oplux even with a prusik?

Does TRC release better on Oplux even with a prusik?

I wouldn't run a prusik. I've tried most all hitches on my oplux and the michoacan hitch wins hands down for me. Just google a video of the hitch and poachers knots needed on the terminal ends. It might take a bit of adjusting the poachers knots to minimize the tag length but once you get it set you're good. I have a 3D printed tender that really works smooth with this setup too.

Cosmo hitch doesn’t require a separate tender. I haven’t used Mihoacan, but I think it can work without a tender, as well.

With a separate tender, I like the Schwabisch.

I used a Schwabisch hitch (asymmetric prusik) on a loop last year with Beal cordlette and a paracord tender last year. Worked well, but bound up pretty tight. Switching to a Distel hitch on beal cordlette with paracord tender this year. Promising so far during practice. I also use figure 8s on tails of the cord so I can remove from the carabiner and I can't find a sewn eyes on Beal cordlette. Tying these knots also allows me to precisely control the length of the cord.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

Back