• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beast sticks with a cam cleat

okccj

Anyone ever put a muddy pro style cam cleat on a beast stick? If not, do you think it would be possible?

Last edited:
I think I saw that someone was gong to do it not long ago. Didn’t follow the post or see the results. But I’m sure it’s fine as long as you use a quality cam cleat and rope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a beast stick, but close enough. The cam cleat works as intended, but is slightly wider than the 1in tubing, which I machined. The current rope that's on there is just for fooling around the yard... I couldn't even tell you what it is, but I know its climbing rope... I think 8mm.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20191006-224118_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20191006-224118_Gallery.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 234
Not a beast stick, but close enough. The cam cleat works as intended, but is slightly wider than the 1in tubing, which I machined. The current rope that's on there is just for fooling around the yard... I couldn't even tell you what it is, but I know its climbing rope... I think 8mm.

Did you drill all those holes in the aluminum tubing or where you able to find it for sale that way?

I had 1in square tubing at work, drilled holes using a mill. It's a harken cam cleat. There is an smaller version (harken micro), which I recently bought off amazon, but have not had the chance to install or try it.

Still wondering if anyone's done this to a beast stick

Still wondering if anyone's done this to a beast stick

I only see it being done with additional modifications. With the sticks/tube already being drilled out with larger holes to cut weight, I don’t foresee being able to install the cam cleat as is. Will need to reinforce the spot with additional plates or a larger diameter tube to go the post where the cleat will be installed. I don’t have a beast stick, just my opinion based on what I can see from the website.

Basically if there’s a will there’s a way.

I’m building a beast clone right now and I’ll be using a cam cleat for one stick climbing. I’ll post it up soon. I already have drilled out the holes for weight reduction and it weighs around 1.9lbs for a 24” stick with the cam cleat. No counting the rope.

I’m building a beast clone right now and I’ll be using a cam cleat for one stick climbing. I’ll post it up soon. I already have drilled out the holes for weight reduction and it weighs around 1.9lbs for a 24” stick with the cam cleat. No counting the rope.

This is exactly what I am looking for to one-stick climb. The beast stick is the perfect size and weight for me, but I strongly prefer a cam cleat for this method. I am hoping one of the smart guys here figures it out, but I may end up doing the same as you and make one.

I got my harken micro cam cleat in. Max 6mm rope - currently experimenting with sterling 6mm TRC.
I think it's only rated at 200lbs. Not sure about that, but I intend to test thoroughly at ground level.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20191014-173245_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20191014-173245_Gallery.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 104
  • SmartSelect_20191014-173207_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20191014-173207_Gallery.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 106
  • SmartSelect_20191014-173142_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20191014-173142_Gallery.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 92
I got my harken micro cam cleat in. Max 6mm rope - currently experimenting with sterling 6mm TRC.
I think it's only rated at 200lbs. Not sure about that, but I intend to test thoroughly at ground level.

Please give a review on how the cam cleat and rope are working once you get a chance to use it. It looks good.

From Harken's website:

Micro Cam-Matic® Cleat
Part No. 468
$31.15 IN STOCK
Minimum line Ø (mm)2 mm
Minimum line Ø (in)3/32 in
Maximum line Ø (mm)6 mm
Maximum line Ø (in)1/4 in
Maximum working load (kg)91 kg
Maximum working load (lb)200 lb

We normally stop reading after the specs but further down it states:

DO NOT use Harken equipment for human suspension unless product is specifically certified and labeled for such use.

Placing my order today for a couple of these.

I only see it being done with additional modifications. With the sticks/tube already being drilled out with larger holes to cut weight, I don’t foresee being able to install the cam cleat as is. Will need to reinforce the spot with additional plates or a larger diameter tube to go the post where the cleat will be installed. I don’t have a beast stick, just my opinion based on what I can see from the website.

Basically if there’s a will there’s a way.
The weight reducing holes are not 1in apart throught the entire stick... there are gaps where the steps/tree brackets and versa buttons are - keeping these areas stronger. New holes would need to be drilled to attach cam cleat.

Please give a review on how the cam cleat and rope are working once you get a chance to use it. It looks good.
I'm pleased with both the larger and smaller cam cleats. The micro allows for smaller rope, but you sacrifice on the max working load. I'm at 175lbs. and have jumped on the stick without issue...
Extremely easy to attach and once you set the stick with your body weight it is quite tough to pull the rope out away from the tree... to unattach you have to lift the stick up unloading it then the rope pulls out easy. This is a great setup for one stick climbing.
Please do all your own research and make your own educated decisions on what you feel comfortable using.

I'm pleased with both the larger and smaller cam cleats. The micro allows for smaller rope, but you sacrifice on the max working load. I'm at 175lbs. and have jumped on the stick without issue...
Extremely easy to attach and once you set the stick with your body weight it is quite tough to pull the rope out away from the tree... to unattach you have to lift the stick up unloading it then the rope pulls out easy. This is a great setup for one stick climbing.
Please do all your own research and make your own educated decisions on what you feel comfortable using.

Thank you for the info. I am going to give them a shot as well.

How many and what size bolts are used to attach it to the stick?

I have two for sale in classified with hardware. This is the cam matic for the larger rope. I bought three. I'll bumb that post to the top because it includes the hardware I used.

I'm looking for the micro as I'm maybe 175lbs climbing weight so I'm still within specs.

Back