• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best affordable cellular camera that doesn’t break the bank

chismgoodrich

I’m planning to hunt a lot in the city next year and I want to get some more cell cams. I’ve had moultries but I have not had one that lasted. Looking for one that doesn’t break the bank.

thanks

I use a tacticam reveal x. It’s priced similar to the moultree delta. I use alkaline batteries in mine but since it’s been -10°c at night here, the batteries were draining quickly and lasted just over 2 weeks. You need the lithiums from energizer if you’re after a couple month solution or even the solar pack for long term exposure. Btw. I use mine where the signal is weak and it worked great. It will not send videos only pics , but it saves videos on your sd for later review. Hope this helps

You'll get mixed reviews on spypoint micro links. I've got a couple of them and for what I paid I have 0 complaints. I think the people that complain about them forget what they paid for them. Often times you can find 2 for $160ish. That being said, if money is no issue, I'd go with the tactacams every time. I got 3 of the originals and wish I would have gotten 10 lol. I've held off on getting any of their newer ones just because I shouldn't spend the money but they're great cameras. Regardless of what cam you decide on, make sure you get the right memory card. From what I've seen, most people that end up with issues have a less than desirable memory card.

I've been pretty happy with Spypoint for inexpensive cellular cameras - I have a few of the Link Micros. They were on sale at Academy last week for $120 or so and you got two of them. First month of full service is free, and after that you can choose to not pay for service and still get 100 pics per cam per month. I have one on my propery in Florida that I installed on March 6th and it's still sending pictures today on the same batteries.
The picture quality isn't super-great (8MP) compared to some today, but for the price I'm willing to be forgiving. And if you use someone's referral code, you'll get either $100 off your next camera from the Spypoint store, or $15 in "Spybucks" which can be used to either purchase full-resolution picture downloads or you can use it towards your service if you opt to upgrade from the free plan.

Are there any plans out there that don't bend you over if you want multiple cams on different properties?

Are there any plans out there that don't bend you over if you want multiple cams on different properties?
You can get your first 100 pics with Spypoint free each month per camera. With Tactacam, all the cameras you use share the same plan but you don't get any free pics. It just depends on how many you have, what you think is reasonable, and if you're in a high traffic area or not

Hard to go wrong with Tactacam cams with the beginner plan. Reveal x @ $120 and $5 month for 250 pics. I have 8 cams which cost $40/ month and gives me 2000 pics shared amongst the 8 cams. I really like that feature!

Really saved on gas not having to drive 10 hours round trip to check cards and battery life when it now is in your hands (phone). Gives you piece of mind and instant deer data

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 7 spypoint micros and zero complaints as long as you understand you’re not buying a reconyx. Trigger speed isn’t the fastest thing in the world but is still solid. Just set it up accordingly, angled down the trail or on a feature that holds them or slows them down like a scrape or fence

Anyone use the links and add it to a different camera? I picked 2 up for 80 bucks, going to pair them with some browning strike force

Anyone use the links and add it to a different camera? I picked 2 up for 80 bucks, going to pair them with some browning strike force

No but I’m very interested in how it works for You please let us know!

This was my 2nd season with 2 Spypoint Link Micros and they were horrible with reliability. They required multiple firmware updates during the season and stopped working multiple times. In my opinion, you are definitely getting what you pay for with these cameras. If you want a "disposable" cell cam for public land, these would fit the bill due to price point.

Been running 5 spypoint micro lte cams for a couple season now. I had one not work when I first turned it on, they sent me a new one in 5 days to my door. They’ve worked great for me and I’ll be buying more.

Been running 5 spypoint micro lte cams for a couple season now. I had one not work when I first turned it on, they sent me a new one in 5 days to my door. They’ve worked great for me and I’ll be buying more.

So does the total pics come from all cameras or is it per camera?

100 pics for each camera. Only thing I pay for is the 50hd pics for $5 so when I get a buck and want a better look I can get the he pic sent to me.

So does the total pics come from all cameras or is it per camera?

Yea i use the 100 free most of the year and then when the season starts I change the plans to fit the needs. I also have them set up to send at time intervals and not at every transaction. I’ve had a few of them in the same spot sent August 8th and still show good batteries and are sending pics just fine. Actually today they are on camofire for $89 bucks.

Funny, my spypoint micro link LTE's have been great so far even in -2F weather.

Back