• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Black Socks for Long Hikes?

PastorKen

I am a student in the Naval Chaplaincy School. In a few weeks we will be spending three or four days straight outdoors. We have two Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant’s who will be in charge of us during that time. There will be a lot of hiking with full backpacks. I have a good pair of boots. I need socks. They have to be all black. It will be in Rhode Island do Massachusetts. What socks can you guys recommend?

Darn Tough Tactical. I would go with the boot mid weight full cushion for hiking. If you are going to be standing around in the cold I would go heavy weight.

Whatever they are, they should be wool. Those ones Nosaj linked should be fine. Lifetime guarantee sounds impressive, and merino is awesome for fighting the stink.

You say you have a good pair of boots, but it’s so important that they’re broken in before you end up miles away. Wear them for everyday walking and work if possible, get em wet, sweat in them, and maybe condition the leather with mink oil or something like that. Eventually they’ll be comfy like bedroom slippers, assuming they’re sized right. Just keep adding mileage to them. Brand new good leather boots are supposed to suck.

I've put many miles on Thorlos. I had a job that allowed minimal packing and camping in the woods 2 weeks at a shot so we were usually only able to carry 4 pairs of socks or so. Thorlos held up great. I believe the ones I had were a wool blend with the maximum amount of cushion possible.

I use smart wool and farm to feet. Merino is the only way to go if you can’t change them often.

Darn Tough we’re on sale on GovX. So I ordered 4 pair. Thanks fellas.
If you have not worn merino wool socks you will like them. It is all I wear now. I wear the lightweight crews every day to work year round. What I like about them is the way the thermoregulate and the fact that I do not think about my feet all day.

I wish I could remember the name of a pair of socks that I've had for many years. Maybe someone else knows what these are.
They have teflon woven into the fibers. I swear that they were a military sock. I've worn them on some tough backpack trips and I've never developed blisters or even any hot spots.
And these are black, which IMO, is the best color for base layers on extended trips because dark colors will dry much faster than light colors when set out in the sun for a short time. At the end of a day, hang your dark base layers in the sun and they will dry and be ready to use the next day.

Last edited:
Look into Alpaca socks as well. Very soft and comfortable and great material for what you are looking to do in them. Whatever you do, stay away from cotton. Pretty much anything is better than cotton.

And these are black, which IMO, is the best color for base layers on extended trips because dark colors will dry much faster that light colors when set out in the sun for a short time. At the end of a day, hang your dark base layers in the sun and they will dry and be ready to use the next day.
Wow, that’s a great insight!

If you have not worn merino wool socks you will like them. It is all I wear now. I wear the lightweight crews every day to work year round. What I like about them is the way the thermoregulate and the fact that I do not think about my feet all day.
I bought some black merino wools running socks and have really enjoyed them on the cold New England mornings when we do PT outside. Classmates (and even one of the Gunnys) complained of cold toes. my toes were fine.

Here is an old trick for you rub your foot down with vaseline put on a silk sock liner then your darn tough socks when you do long hikes you will not get any blisters or hot spots. Lots of miles on my feet as a Marine Grunt.

Back