• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best bolt and drill holder

redhawk

I recently picked up a treehopper drill and some grade 8 bolts. After much research on this thread and conversations with folks on saddlehunter.com, I have found the best climbing method for me and I believe the most compact carrying system for bolts. I just wanted to share for anyone else who is looking into bolts and the treehopper drill. It is a cell phone holder that is molle compatible , I will post a pic of it from Amazon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191206-220731_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191206-220731_Gallery.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_20191206-220736_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191206-220736_Gallery.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_20191206-220734_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191206-220734_Gallery.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot_20191206-221010_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191206-221010_Chrome.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 181
You got one of them fancy hyperlinks so we can find it...? Lol

I like what I see. The pouch I use is a bit larger but closer to my chest. It’s flatter. I also sewed in a cloth layer to separate the top row of bolts from the bottom. Biggest gripe with stacking them the way you have them is when you pull them out the threads will rub against each other. Not a big deal In most cases but it annoyed me every time I pulled a bolt out. My pack was good enough to hunt with but I’m still looking for a better option. Maybe I’m over complicating it. Maybe not. Thanks for posting I think I’ll revisit this soon.

I used the water bottle pouch this year and it worked well but this looks like a good alternative.. going to order one thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many bolts are you able to fit into it?

I carry 10 bolts and my drill in side the pouch and I have a HSS bow hanger on the side that fits perfectly. I usually get about 23inches between bolts , so I am almost at 20feet when I put my ROS on the tree.

I like what I see. The pouch I use is a bit larger but closer to my chest. It’s flatter. I also sewed in a cloth layer to separate the top row of bolts from the bottom. Biggest gripe with stacking them the way you have them is when you pull them out the threads will rub against each other. Not a big deal In most cases but it annoyed me every time I pulled a bolt out. My pack was good enough to hunt with but I’m still looking for a better option. Maybe I’m over complicating it. Maybe not. Thanks for posting I think I’ll revisit this soon.

I have my bolts dipped in plastidip and then I coat a red marine grade shrink wrap on them so I have a visual when coming down at night. I have not had any problems with the bolts scraping the threads making noise, but I started with alternating threads one up and one down in that pattern, but with gloves on I found it easier to grab the bolts by the hex head.

Also, if you don't want the handle from the drill to stick out , just flip it on the other side and everything is packed inside of the flap which is buckled down and secured tight. There is no rattling either, however the flap is velcro and buckled. I simply took a knife and cut the female part of the velcro out to eliminate that noise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191207-122259_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191207-122259_Gallery.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20191207-122255_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191207-122255_Gallery.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 73
Also, if you don't want the handle from the drill to stick out , just flip it on the other side and everything is packed inside of the flap which is buckled down and secured tight. There is no rattling either, however the flap is velcro and buckled. I simply took a knife and cut the female part of the velcro out to eliminate that noise.
That looks like the mini tree hopper with folding handle. Does it not fit in the case with the handle folded down?

That looks like the mini tree hopper with folding handle. Does it not fit in the case with the handle folded down?
Its not a mini folding drill, however it still fits under the flap with no problem.

Allen cartridge belt.
I would have to say the 10 grade 8 bolts would be drastically to heavy for the Allen cartridge belt. I have not tried it, but the Allen cartridge belt would sag to much i believe! I have seen Nutterbuster use it with his carbon bolts though, and it looks to be a solid system with the lighter bolts.

I would have to say the 10 grade 8 bolts would be drastically to heavy for the Allen cartridge belt. I have not tried it, but the Allen cartridge belt would sag to much i believe! I have seen Nutterbuster use it with his carbon bolts though, and it looks to be a solid system with the lighter bolts.

I’ve used mine hanging from my sternum strap of multiple packs, with 10-12 grade 8’s in it. Works fine, every time.

I don’t walk around with it hanging from chest. I store it, then clip onto sternum strap for climb.

I’ve used mine hanging from my sternum strap of multiple packs, with 10-12 grade 8’s in it. Works fine, every time.

I don’t walk around with it hanging from chest. I store it, then clip onto sternum strap for climb.

So there is not much sag? Pics??

Back