• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best budget crossbow?

rhagenw

SH Member
Well long story short...got in a car wreck and may have to put down the compound for awhile...but refuse to skip archery season and have no idea about x-bows! Needing some suggestions!

Centerpoint whisper is great for the money. Not as light as others at the same price tag but it has aluminum rail. Pse coalition is great for the money. Those are the two of that I know anything about. Of course your budget is what determines your other choices out there. I have a centerpoint and shoot pile driiver arrows....hits like a ton of bricks. 2 in groups at 30 yds for sure. Hope this helps a little. Hate you were in the accident!

Budget crossbow...well then you might want to pass on this one.

Excalibur micro assassin...great bow and I have not killed anything except the bullseye...

I shot a doe last year with an Amazon special just to say I did it. It shot accurate and did what it was supposed to do. I believe it was an SA Sports fever pro or something. It was like $120 on sale ready to hunt besides broadheads. I wouldn't stretch it past 20-25 yds though. If you miss, you can throw it at them and not feel bad!

Last edited:
I bought my wife a Killer Instinct Ripper 415 and it’s a beast. Not too expensive at all

My first crossbow was a Barnett Jackal from Wally World. Shot accurate out to 50 yards, maybe further. But was not small or light. Sold it for almost what I paid after that 1st season because I went to a compound. A friend of mine got a Barnett Recruit that he’s been happy with.

I use a Barnett whitetail hunter 2 and I am happy with it. I may replace it next year but only because I may get something with a smaller width limbs. It shoots great and launched my Grim Reaper straight through a doe last year.

Thanks for insight guys @iamcorey if it’s still available in about a month I’ll contact you!

My first crossbow was a Barnett Jackal from Wally World. Shot accurate out to 50 yards, maybe further. But was not small or light. Sold it for almost what I paid after that 1st season because I went to a compound. A friend of mine got a Barnett Recruit that he’s been happy with.
I have the Jackal and for a starter setup there is nothing wrong with it except it is a little heavy!!

I bought a Barnett Recruit Tactical last year for $179 and would buy it again. It is small and light. That is good if you are up a tree with it.

I bought the ten point shadow with the narrow limbs in 2018. Last year I had an accident with the crossbow where I shot at a deer and the limb hit the tree I was in. Destroyed the string, but the cables were ok except for the serving. I was then out of the bow for 10 days while my bow shop was able to get to it.

I fixed the string and decided to sell it after watching the excalibur videos about how they TRY to destroy their bows and if the string breaks they just replace the string and go shooting. That's what I wanted...simplicity.

So I sold my bow and bought my Excalibur Assassin take down bow. This bow is sweet...I can take the case on my back and pedel to my tree stand...put the bow together and up the tree I go. Like I said...I love simplicity.

Thanks for the suggestions! Getting healed up quicker than I thought so just going to order 60 pound mods for my compound and back the limb bolts out

I have a Centerpoint Sniper 370, which you can often find for about $250. I've shot a Ravin, which is a >$2,000 bow. There's a difference, for sure, but my Sniper kills deer very reliably, and I can think of a few things to do with the ~$1700. The difference just isn't that much.

Back