• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best/Cheapest Cell Cams that last

Opinions vary, I have tried Browning, Cuddeback and Reveal. I think the Reveals are best bang for the buck.

ETA - I have 4 XB’s and 1 X and the XB’s are better pic quality.

I've only got experience with the browning cell cams, have 4 of them amd have been running them for 3 years now.

On the plus side, they are very reliable, I get a full season out of a set of energizer max batteries, the customer service is second to none, and they don't seem to spook deer.

On the negative side, the newer model without an external antennae doesn't get as good of signal as the older models do. After about 2 or 3 years, the waterproof seal will start to go- I see this with my browning non-cell cameras, too. I will also say the terms of their cell plan are misleading. One plan is like $19.95 a month for "up to 3 cameras, $5 for each additional camera." In reality, running 3 cameras on that plan will be $30/month. $19.95 for the first camera and $5 each for the next two, and if you buy another camera, you have to go up a plan.

I have switched all my cameras over to exodus renders. They aren’t cheap but you get what you pay for. They flat out work all year long with zero issues. The HD quality is pretty darn good and the five year no BS warranty can’t be beat IMO.

I get the Moultrie ones when they go on clearance. Around 50 bucks each and then use them. I'm not looking for HD pics or anything and I'm only using them on the places that are a solid 45 minute plus drive. I'm blessed to have two state Gamelands and some other county/municipality properties all within 20 minutes. Using non-cell cameras the most. I have 6 cell cameras out in the State Forest areas where I'm scouting for next year.

I have the Exodus Render cellular cameras , they are great.2nd season running them. On a side not how many trail cameras is to many? I only hunt public land.

I only hunt public too so I run spy points in case they get stole. Would love a Ridgetec or Render but too risky I think. The micros have mostly been fine and have been running 365 days per year for the last 3 years. only one out of 6 has given me problems. and although you have to spend 3 hours on the phone, eventually spy point will send you a new cam for free. I did just start running a flex this year and the pics are WAYYY better and you can get video sent straight to your phone that is pretty high quality too. its also been very reliable so far this year.

I'm trying to only have reveals and a couple regular moultries for cams to soak at mineral sights at this point. I love the reveals.

I'm trying to only have reveals and a couple regular moultries for cams to soak at mineral sights at this point. I love the reveals.
I’m really happy with the reveals as well. I haven’t been confident enough to put any cell cams on public yet I use Tasco standard cams up high with mounts to point them down on destination locations like scrapes, creek crossings, trail crossings, etc.

I’m really happy with the reveals as well. I haven’t been confident enough to put any cell cams on public yet I use Tasco standard cams up high with mounts to point them down on destination locations like scrapes, creek crossings, trail crossings, etc.
I put them up 8-10 feet and put a cable lock on them. So far no problems

I am on year three with my spypoint micros, one crapped out but they replaced it for free since it was clearly a manufacturing defect. The sole reason I use them is the free 100 photos a month. I only buy a plan when it is strategically useful to me (will be hunting those areas in the next week) otherwise I get my free 100 and let them soak

I use the $30 Tascos. For the most part they work fine. Every once in awhile u only see a deers rear end. As for the cell cams, I steer clear due to cell reception issues. My buddys all struggle here in the thumb with inconsistent cell service. And even in good areas, forget about putting them in a swamp. Lots of dead zones around us.

Back