• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Ghillie/Mesh leafy clothing?

CavePainter

I am looking to purchase a ghillie suit like the First Light leafy suit top. Are there any other brands that make a good product?

North Mountain Gear makes a good one. I’ve actually got one for sale if you’re interested.
I have one and love it. Luck or skill or whatever, I was ground stalking some pigs in SC, I’m 6’5, 240, so I’m not a @Red Beard, I’m more like Chewbacca. Anyways, pigs walked about five yards away from me, finally one was running up to me, realized what I was and they all slowly trotted away. So I’m a fan of it. It also works well for a Halloween costume.

Attachments

• 81C682B6-A065-4D32-A593-6ADCA8C461FB.jpeg
    81C682B6-A065-4D32-A593-6ADCA8C461FB.jpeg
    770.9 KB · Views: 106
Can't beat the ASAT leafy suit, have had a coyote and turkey with in 5 yds. of me............
Can be worn year round hot or cold, because of the net base that does not affect your body temperature.
I have an early season, size L and late season, size XL.

North Mountain Gear makes a good one. I’ve actually got one for sale if you’re interested.

this....called and the owner called me back...i had questions about different generations of the suit....great guy

it's very well made, i got the brown one with more modern die cut leaves

wear it with the hood up and paint your face....the whole 'camo doesn't do anything' idea will fly out the window.....you'll have squirrels trying to walk up your arm

Can't beat the ASAT leafy suit, have had a coyote and turkey with in 5 yds. of me............
Can be worn year round hot or cold, because of the net base that does not affect your body temperature.
I have an early season, size L and late season, size XL.

almost went with the asat one, but wanted a hood and not have to wear a face mask because it interferes with my anchor point

I have a 3d leafy jacket and pants from bass pro. It has some kind of bug mesh underneath. It’s very lightweight and almost stretchy so it works great by itself or over a jacket later in the season.

I have one and love it. Luck or skill or whatever, I was ground stalking some pigs in SC, I’m 6’5, 240, so I’m not a @Red Beard, I’m more like Chewbacca. Anyways, pigs walked about five yards away from me, finally one was running up to me, realized what I was and they all slowly trotted away. So I’m a fan of it. It also works well for a Halloween costume.

yep, it's like wearing a ground blind....nice compromise between flat camo (2D) and a ghillie....ghillie is just so big, hot, and grabs everything you walk by

the north mountain can be packed in easy

once tip for others is get a good full length arm guard and an archery chest protector (what ladies wear to keep things out of the string).....this will guarantee that your leafy suit never touches the string

Good thread.
A Ghillie boonie might be all you need.

@Vtbow has a sweet one listed, I’m really having a hard time not buying it- just a bit big and I have a few Ghillie suit variations already.

shoulder to head shape is probably most important....probably why Zac from THP has crazy hair

if it were more my style....i'd grow a big head of hair and huge beard and it would probably help out

almost went with the asat one, but wanted a hood and not have to wear a face mask because it interferes with my anchor point
The mask that comes with the suit is super light & doesn't effect my anchor, or hearing. Really it sits open faced unless you tighten the strap down. I usually just leave it completely open & raise up a neck gator when something is close or its prime time. Or just clown up under. Fits great over a hat too. Really helps break up the whole silhouette. Hands down the most effective camo I ever owned. Can't beat it in the heat either. Hunted several times in shorts & a t-shirt.

Word of caution though.....birds will unexpectedly try & fly on you, squirrels will jump off branches at you (that's always an impossible one to sit still for), & hunters will try & climb a tree right beside you if you don't get there attention after several attempts of them looking around everywhere till the finally see you.

I wear a cabela’s set from the 90’s made in Canada. I wish it had a hood though and so I have been eyeballing the north mountain gear.

Last edited:
The mask that comes with the suit is super light & doesn't effect my anchor, or hearing. Really it sits open faced unless you tighten the strap down. I usually just leave it completely open & raise up a neck gator when something is close or its prime time. Or just clown up under. Fits great over a hat too. Really helps break up the whole silhouette. Hands down the most effective camo I ever owned. Can't beat it in the heat either. Hunted several times in shorts & a t-shirt.

Word of caution though.....birds will unexpectedly try & fly on you, squirrels will jump off branches at you (that's always an impossible one to sit still for), & hunters will try & climb a tree right beside you if you don't get there attention after several attempts of them looking around everywhere till the finally see you.

yep, with my leafy suit on a painted face, i had song birds within a few feet of me if i sat still

really cool

I have two north mountain gear tops, bottomlands and greenleaf. They're made very similar to the Columbia leafy tops my dad bought in the late 2000's in sagebrush camo. The kangaroo pouch is my favorite feature.

Back