• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best hot weather merino wool clothing?

I am sure you’re looking for more than base layers but for socks, I love the Darn Tough micro hiking lightweight socks. I have hiked in the southwest desert heat in leather boots with them and they were great.
I used some 100% DEET repellent on my legs last year and it took the stretch right out of my Darn Tough socks. I really like their lightweight socks but they don't like DEET, at least not the higher concentration stuff.

Not sure what ur definition of hot is but I've never seen anybody wear that stuff around here in archery/muzzleloader....quick dry stuff gets stinky but it does help cool u off.

Liner socks help with ur feet's...I got wigwam and foxriver wicking lightweights and they are good socks

I used some 100% DEET repellent on my legs last year and it took the stretch right out of my Darn Tough socks. I really like their lightweight socks but they don't like DEET, at least not the higher concentration stuff.

I am not sure if you are using the coolmax Darn Tough, but they are mostly synthetic. Deet tears up synthetic materials.

Not sure what ur definition of hot is but I've never seen anybody wear that stuff around here in archery/muzzleloader....quick dry stuff gets stinky but it does help cool u off.

Liner socks help with ur feet's...I got wigwam and foxriver wicking lightweights and they are good socks
You might want to try out a light weight merino top. Really good for hot weather.

60-90

Best hot weather merino wool clothing?
Too hot in Alabama for merino in early season. They make an ultra lite like 80 wt but it’s essentially see through. The light weight Turkey season moisture wicking stuff feels nice but will stink more like others have said.

deet is awful....it took me a while to figure out why so many people had tackle boxes with melted plastic worms (deet)

deet will eat up your plastic glasses lenses, nylon hiking pants, etc

it stinks and i'll probably never use it again....permethrin all the way

I really like my new First Lite lightweight merino, but I don’t have much to compare it to. For really hot hunts, I plan to wear my FL short sleeve merino shirt with a mesh/breathable leafy shirt over the top. That combo is awesome for hot, buggy hunts.

I think any light weight merino will do fine. I just picked up a FL wick qz on the preseason sale and took it out last weekend to hang stands. It's 10x better than any synthetic polyester whatever I've used before. Barely sweat and cooled down in no time. Like chilly in 77 degrees 5 minutes after climbing out of a tree.

I wear Skre 150 weight short and long sleeve tops all summer. Matter of fact on Weds I was doing a prescribed burn here in south florida with the long sleeve merino under my long sleeve nomex shirt....temp was 90+ with 65% humidity so felt near 105 without the heat from the fire. Much cooler than any cotton undershirt, and we can't wear synthetics that can melt....

Too hot in Alabama for merino in early season. They make an ultra lite like 80 wt but it’s essentially see through. The light weight Turkey season moisture wicking stuff feels nice but will stink more like others have said.
Who make an 80 Wt?

Back