• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Hunting Truck, SUV, or Van?

PastorKen

My rusty F-150 has served me well for years. I have a camper top on it and I can haul plenty of gear and still sleep in the back. I love it! BUT... it has 186,000 miles and a ton of rust. And I just got accepted into Navy Chaplaincy. I'm going to have to drive from Cincinnati to Rhode Island and back at least once (probably in late January). I can't afford to have a break down and be late for Officer Development School. So... time for auto shopping.
I don't want to buy anything brand new. It's probably going to sit on a pier for months on end. But when I get back to home port, I want to be IN my vehicle and not UNDER it (working on it). So, not too new, but reliable... And something good enough go hunting in. I need either AWD or 4WD for snow and mud.
I hear Toyota trucks and 4Runners are bullet proof. I guess I could sleep in a tent (I've done it many times in the extreme cold, but inside is warm and easy) I know @John Eberhart uses a minivan. But I just don't think I can do it. A minivan?... Nope. For some reason I just about hate the thought of it. I'd like to love it. I think it's awesome that John does it! But... I don't know. A Mommy van just CAN'T be my daily driver.
So, I'm asking for your wisdom Saddlehunters. Truck? SUV? 4Runner? What say ye? I might just keep my truck and rent a car to get to Rhode Island and not have a vehicle for my 3 months of school.

Well, if you are looking for a gently used Toyota, just buy new. Other than that, I'm in a 2dr wrangler and can carry whatever I need for about 1 week of hunting and fishing. But if I had to do it again I would get a 2dr extended cab with an 8 ft bed and cap on the truck bed.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Long bed With camper top for sure! Front receiver hitch and a roof rack, you’re living in high style.

oh, and definitely rent a car one way for your out of Towners

If I wanted something bulletproof, I'd get a lower mileage 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4X4. The 2013 to 2015 years for the 2nd gen were the most refined (don't buy a 2nd generation from one of the first years they came out). The 3rd gen Taco came out in 2016. I'd avoid as they hadn't worked out all bugs. My father bought one and the entire engine had to be replaced.

I have a 2013 now. I also had a 1st generation from 2001 to 2016. Besides routine maintenance, I had to replace a broken e-brake cable once in a few 100,000 miles.

Edit: If you put a camper top on it and build a platform, then you can easily sleep in the back on an air mattress.

Last edited:
First off, from a former squid to a soon to be squid, congrats! Now to the truck. I’d go with either a Tahoe/suburban/Silverado/Yukon/Sierra from 2000 up. Known to go 200k and beyond. I have a 2011 burb, 109k and ZERO issues. The LT3 is a reliable engine, parts are stupid cheap and grow in trees. Lots of room for activities and since you’ll be a squid you need a boat! Tows a boat like it’s not even there. Yukon will get you AWD and a bit sexier trim package. The Silverado, Sierra, hoe and burb are 4wd are 4wd and offer traction control. Yukon depending on trim has a lsd. Anything else you want to know hit me up. Edit**. Everyone else is wrong and I’m right. Ignore them.

Last edited:
My old man has a 2015 Tundra, and it's a fantastic truck. Rides smooth, tons of space, loads of power. Downside is it guzzles gas like you can't believe. I'd trust that truck over 300k miles, provided it's cared for properly along the way.

from a former squid to a soon to be squid,
Lol! I’m a former squid too. I was enlisted from 1985 to 1991. ET2 Nuke. It’s going to be very different for me to be an officer. But I bet everything will be different since I got out 30 years ago! When we’re you in? Officer or enlisted?

First gen tundra with topper. Won’t break the bank and you Won’t be disappointed. I use and abuse mine, it takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’.

Lol! I’m a former squid too. I was enlisted from 1985 to 1991. ET2 Nuke. It’s going to be very different for me to be an officer. But I bet everything will be different since I got out 30 years ago! When we’re you in? Officer or enlisted?
2000-2008. HM2(FMF). God said it’s time to get out so I jumped. Hope you like to PT lol. As a Chaps(that’s what your nick name will be) you’ll be deployed and green side. Good luck and HOORAH!

Yup go as far south as you can. And when you get it treat it for rust. Get that crappy coating off which just traps moisture and spray it with bar and chain oil or another rust prohiber like coorseal (go navy), pqr or something.

I’m a Toyota fanatic. Tundra and a beater corolla is my go to combo. Search for a high mileage and well maintained unit for the best value. My 2012 tundra has 186k and runs just as good as the trd pro tundra my dad just drove out of the dealership.

All the above posts are wrong...lol.
Google Quigley van.
I've owned pick ups with toppers for 30 years and they are nice, but nothing beats a cargo van for being able to get up, move around in it, get dressed in the rain/wind/cold, sleep in it, haul stuff. The only problem was nobody made a full sized cargo van in 4x4, and 2wd vans suck for traction. Quigley converts cargo vans from 2wd to 4wd.
But now in 2020 Ford is making the Transit in AWD. My 2006 Tundra is showing some body cancer. When it's time to replace it, I'm going 4x4 cargo van.

Google Quigley van.
I've owned pick ups with toppers for 30 years and they are nice, but nothing beats a cargo van for being able to get up, move around in it, get dressed in the rain/wind/cold, sleep in it, haul stuff. The only problem was nobody made a full sized cargo van in 4x4, and 2wd vans suck for traction. Quigley converts cargo vans from 2wd to 4wd.
But now in 2020 Ford is making the Transit in AWD. My 2006 Tundra is showing some body cancer. When it's time to replace it, I'm going 4x4 cargo van.
That’s a beautiful thing right there

Google Quigley van.
My current hunting vehicle is a 2001 Tahoe with 325k miles. Since it is really for hunting only, I drive about 1k a year. I hope it will last a while. When I’m thinking about what could be next, I play with the idea of a Mercedes Sprinter or Ford transit both as 2500 with high roofs and 4wd. Those can be more multi functional and be used for camping trips as well. For those who are skilled in carpentry can let the imagination go wild and outfit them at their hearts desire.

186 k miles just don’t seem like many miles. My f250 has 280k. It had 260k before I had any problems with it.
The possibilities are endless
Subaru, Mercedes cars are great AWD
Pickups with campers
There are AWD mini vans out there we had a GMC safari and it was a fantastic vehicle

See you in a tree, Ricky

I just bought a brand new Sierra but my hunting truck is a 2006 Tundra and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Absolutely love that thing and don’t care if branches run down the side of it or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back