• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best ring of steps??

Josh Teulker

Hey Guys,
Fairly new to the forum and only been saddle hunting a couple year. My dad finally took the leap and bought a saddle at the end of the year. He wants me to put a ring of steps together for him. I currently use the Cranford Scaffold with 6 steps. (John Eberhart suggested it to me) I really like them but was wondering if there is something better for a ring of steps out there? Or just as good. We like gear so was thinking about getting something different just to compare? Wanted to spend dads money on whatever will be best for him being new to saddle hunting. (He did not like the idea of my predator platform, he preferred the steps.)

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

If compactness, weight, pack ability, are important, squirrel steps perform like all the rest, plus have that. From a performance standpoint, they’re all pretty close in my mind. The thing that makes the SS’s worth it to me are how tiny the package is when walking in and out. I hang them on my belt on right hip, ready to rock when I go up tree.
342A2BB3-066D-4114-B119-07F3FE686F5D.jpeg

Don’t forget the strap with OCB

I prefer a ratchet even though it’s a lot heavier. Never get an OCB as tight as a ratchet.

I still use my Ameristeps on a OCB . If I were to ever get new steps it would be squirrel step they are lite and they look to pack well

Last edited:
I will have to give the OCB another go. It was making me a little nervous though. The rivets seemed to have loosened up a bit.

yes to squirrels also. i have also spent a year on bullman ROS. those steps were nice too, but they were big and clunky compared to the squirrels. the size of the squirrels and their packability put them in the lead. the new steps from treehopper look promising too.

I will have to give the OCB another go. It was making me a little nervous though. The rivets seemed to have loosened up a bit.

I have an OCB on my new Treehopper steps. I noticed my rivets look loose. Should I be concerned?

I have an OCB on my new Treehopper steps. I noticed my rivets look loose. Should I be concerned?

I don’t know I had the same concern. I used mine several times and it just kept getting looser and looser so I ordered a ratchet from EWO and cut the OCB off. I do have a sewn OCB I think I am going to try.

Back