• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

best tool for chamfering aluminum step edges?

raisins

SH Member
I ordered some aluminum Pioneer steps. They are extruded and cut and the 90 degree edges are sharp enough to make me nervous about them being on my amsteel strap system. I'm going to chamfer them and will need to get inside the strap slot. I'm thinking very fine tooth round file will be best. Anything better out there? I wish I had a tumbler because I would just tumble them all and round all the edges.

These work great if you have decent compressed air

With something like this ( best shape i think, pick your poison on the rest of it)

Burs, Rounded Tapered Cone Head, Number SL-42, Single Cut

These worked great when I used to clean aluminum parts coming off the laser at work

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220614-163306~2.png
    Screenshot_20220614-163306~2.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 18
A grinding stone tip on a rotary tool works well enough, from experience. A pneumatic die grinder is a far more efficient tool, from experience, but I've not used it for this application.

I'm going to stray a little from OP but these work well too, although they're pretty pricy. They do hold up pretty well, fairly messy.

Again, just an example not necessarily "the one". I do have all of these recommendations, so if someone wants a part number or more specifics let me know

Hit the sharp edges with a file then use a Cratex point on a Dremel to smooth polish them.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

thanks everyone for the suggestions

hit the edges with a dremel and conical stone

then bought a set of very small files (flat and round) and hit everything at several angles

then finished with some fine grit sandpaper

smooth as silk now and shouldn't cut into my amsteel hang straps

Not much experience with aluminum, but I've had good results on mild steel with a wire wheel chucked into an angle grinder. A couple medium-pressure passes at various angles cleaned up my cut edges and rounded them off a bit.

Back