• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Better Friction Hitch?

TonyGreenway

Hey guys! Just thought I'd put this out there. Personally, I find standard prusiks to be a pain because they get so tight over time that they can be difficult to adjust without resetting it. If you're a big guy like me (6' 2" and 240 lbs), you may have experienced this yourself. I use a schwabisch hitch instead. I've been climbing as an arborist for 14 years, and I've found the schwabisch to be my favorite friction hitch for my flipline (lineman's belt), and works just as well on a tether. They just don't get bound as often under a heavy load. It is easy to tie, but you need to use a split tail, rather than a prusik loop. (Most prusik loops are long enough to be tied into a split tail.) Schwabisch hitches also work better with a tender than a prusik. Most people are probably fine with a prusik, but my fellow big boys may want to try the schwabisch. If anyone has any questions, or wants more info on using a split tail rather than a loop, just let me know.

@TonyGreenway so you like swasbasch better than a distel hutch?
I've used both. They're so similar, I don't really prefer one over the other. I think I learned the schwabisch first and just kinda reverted back out of familiarity. Some rope materials and braids grip better with one than another, but they're both reliable. I actually use a valdotain tresse (VT or French prusik) for my climbing hitch, and a schwabisch on my flipline. The VT is arguably the best hitch for doubled rope technique (drt) if you're a heavy guy. It basically resets itself every time your tender advances it up the line, BUT it's an advanced hitch to tie and easily done incorrectly. Remember, there is no such thing as almost tying a knot correctly. It's either exactly right or COMPLETELY wrong. If you're hanging your life on it, It's worth practicing and being able to do it in the dark, behind your back, fatigued, etc.

I have been using the distel Hitch for my lineman with a pulley as a tender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Do all of these knots work in both directions? I have only used the regular old prussic because of my double ended tether. I use the other end to cross limbs so the knot would be upside down.

I picked up 2 shizzl rope sliders to try out. Just waiting on the mantis gear to try it out.

@g2outdoors said he looked at a kegerator to shut me up but too expensive. Lol.

Are you using that on your tether?

I will probably use a schwabisch on my tether. (I'm awaiting my Mantis, so I haven't actually setup a hunting saddle yet.) The VT is an incredible climbing hitch for drt, but it sort of opens up and resets each time you advance it up the line. If I'm just hanging out at a set height (i.e. hunting), I will want something that stays a little more snug on the tether when I put my weight on my feet and off the hitch. There's a small chance of a twig or piece of bark getting in the hitch while it's open. That could lead to a fall at worst, and a two inch heart attack at best. (That's the feeling you get when there's a small slip or jolt that momentarily causes you to think you're falling.) When climbing for arborist purposes, I'm constantly moving, adjusting, and watching my friction hitch. Much less chance of an accident. If I'm sitting still and ignoring my hitch, as I would while hunting, it's because I'm using a saw. At which time I am ALWAYS double tied in. (Flip line AND climbing line) If one fails or is cut, the other saves you. It's a dangerous job at best, I do everything possible to negate as much risk as I can.

Do all of these knots work in both directions? I have only used the regular old prussic because of my double ended tether. I use the other end to cross limbs so the knot would be upside down.

No they're not, they only work in one direction. A trade off for improved hitch performance. In a "modern" split tail system, the flipline only has one connector (rope snap or carabiner) and the end of the climb line or tether in our case if we use it as such, functions as the second flipline if one is needed. The double ended flipline still a safe way to climb but has mostly gone out of favor with the split tail system.

No they're not, they only work in one direction. A trade off for improved hitch performance. In a "modern" split tail system, the flipline only has one connector (rope snap or carabiner) and the end of the climb line or tether in our case if we use it as such, functions as the second flipline if one is needed. The double ended flipline still a safe way to climb but has mostly gone out of favor with the split tail system.

I will have to do some research. I admittedly only know enough to get me up a tree safely to hunt. Thanks for the lesson!

Yes, thanks to @TheTracker I switched last year from the ropeman to the schwabisch on my tether, decided to stay with it very happy!
12 foot long 3/8 Samson Ultra tech main line with sewn eyes,
24" Armor-Prus 8mm sewn eye & eye used for the schwabisch.

Prusik works in both directions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

@TonyGreenway or someone else please chime in and correct me if needed.

My thought is that Hitches only need to work in what we do in one direction, ie as tension is applied engaging the hitch. In other words as we put weight on the hitch. The reason I have read about a prusik melting is that depending on the diameter of the rope being used for the prusik, the # wraps, and type of rope determine how well a hitch seats itself against the main rope ie lineman lanyard, safety line, tether etc, all these determine how well a hitch slides. All these factors becomes more important with a prusik since it grabs both ways.

Last edited:
Back